Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bbk long tube header question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bbk long tube header question

Iam on a roll with the car and the headers are next, I think i will buy a set of bbk long tubes and weld teh ls1 flange on. My question is what long tubes do i need for the less work. Will the 302 mustang bbk headers work or will it need to be 351 swap mustang headers
Old 01-26-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

any one know
Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crazygn
Iam on a roll with the car...

Car... Pretty generic term, you might want to narrow it down some.

Russ
Old 01-26-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry guys lol car type might help

its a 1989 mustang notch
Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

351 swap headers (302 headers will hit the floor) replace flanges and tweak the number 5 an 7 tubes to clear the steering shaft, if your using a aje k-member dont waste your money on a longer steering shaft like all the fools just lengthen it and it fits fine (cost about one doller).

and if your running a auto you will have to ding the collector to clear the shift linkage on the side of the trans an thats it.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leonpiper69
351 swap headers (302 headers will hit the floor) replace flanges and tweak the number 5 an 7 tubes to clear the steering shaft, if your using a aje k-member dont waste your money on a longer steering shaft like all the fools just lengthen it and it fits fine (cost about one doller).

and if your running a auto you will have to ding the collector to clear the shift linkage on the side of the trans an thats it.
Glsd to see someone finally post the necessary "tweaks". This setup fit my Maverick swap w/o any tweaks, but the collector clearance is definitely close on my 200R4. Would you have a part number for the pipe side ball flanges for the collectors?

Russ
Old 01-27-2009, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI, the Ford exhaust ports are ovalized, so you'll need to use a tube expander to bring them back to round so they'll fit the LS1 flanges. It's not a big deal, but wanted to make sure you were aware of it.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Glsd to see someone finally post the necessary "tweaks". This setup fit my Maverick swap w/o any tweaks, but the collector clearance is definitely close on my 200R4. Would you have a part number for the pipe side ball flanges for the collectors?

Russ

i just made my own pipes to mate up with the collector. i just belled them out (a friend has a bender machine).

and the part about the flanges being round..... you can cut the headers where they are round an that works ok, i did round mine out (gas pipe flattened worked great, and thanks s10xgn for that tip). by rounding them out you just gain about 3/4 more primary pipe to play with.

but now that someone makes a cheap swap header for this i would have gone that route. for an extra hundred and they drop right in you really cant beat that. the only way i would do the bbk's again is if i got a set for next to nothing like fifty bucks or so. just my .02 cents.
Old 01-31-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys , just picked up a set of mac long tubes today to work with. The pass side fits great still need to check on the other side and buy some flanges

Quick Reply: bbk long tube header question