Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral Safety Switch Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Neutral Safety Switch Questions

Can the Neutral safety switch (bolted to the transmission on the driver side) be deleted without any adverse affects? I know my prior LT1 4L60E didn't have one one it, and I'm looking to clean up things a bit.

It looks like this.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

I have that plug on the harness out of the 05 Hummer I am using.
It appears that:
wire 1 is the clutch start sw signal.
wire 7 is grnd.
wire 9 is the park/neutral signal.
wire 10 is backup lite power.
wire[s] 11&12 are ign voltage.
In looking at the schematics, it would indicate to me that if the sw is eliminated, then the start relay is going to be inop, and the starter won't engage..[??]
I see U R looking at a T-56. Maybe look at that wiring too, and see if you could do something until the trans is changed??
My combo is going in a 55 Chevy, so I'm going to eliminate that sw/harness, etc, and use the oem, column mtd N/S sw...
Old 02-10-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well my car has a column mounted neutral safety switch, and the starter wire runs from a relay in the "convenience center". This is in reference to keeping the 4L60E. Reverse lights power, neutral safety switch, and what looks to be everything else associated with this plug seems to be mounted on my column. The Transmission Range switch Signals all go to the PCM, and I'm wondering if they are even needed.

GY/BU
Park Neutral Position Switch Park Signal

--
--
Not Used

YE
A/T Neutral Signal

YE/RD
Transmission Range Switch Signal B

BU/WH
Transmission Range Switch Signal A

GY
Transmission Range Switch Signal C

BK/RD
Ground

WH
Transmission Range Switch Signal P

--
--
Not Used

L-GN
Backup Lamp Supply Voltage

BN/BU
Ignition 1 Voltage

GY
Neutral Safety Switch Signal
Old 02-10-2009, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have my 4l60e tranny nuetral safety switch installed & the wire from the harness, of course, is not connected. It starts and runs fine. I will say...I defineately will be installing everything in the future though. I have started it in gear, and thats not too safe. Also, I have turned the engine off with the tranny in gear, left the key in the ignition in the "on" position, and burned out my fuel pump & fuel pump relay, etc. Also not safe. I thought I could get used to not having a safety switch wired in, as I have always driven stick-shift cars. But, It's better to have a switch on an auto.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well with the neutral safety switch on my column, I can't turn the Key to "start" with the car in gear, so that alleviates that problem. I've driven a mix of autos and sticks, so the only problem I see could be what you mentioned about the fuel pump relay and the fuel pump. Any other opinions?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm reworking my harness and lost quite a few wires that the 'how to" on lt1swap.com said I didn't need.

My harness is an 04 and the only wires left on the larger connector is a pink and black.

I guess my question is what wires would I actually need? Is there anything going to the P/N switch that controls PCM functions?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The PCM only needs to see if the vehicle is in Gear or P/N for idle control. There is a setting in HPtuners for whether the vehicle has a P/N or PRNDL switch. The starter neutral safety switch and reverse lights switch already on the vehicle can still be used to control those functions.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flame
The PCM only needs to see if the vehicle is in Gear or P/N for idle control. There is a setting in HPtuners for whether the vehicle has a P/N or PRNDL switch. The starter neutral safety switch and reverse lights switch already on the vehicle can still be used to control those functions.
Do you have to have this programmed in the PCM beforehand though?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1976CamaroGuy
Do you have to have this programmed in the PCM beforehand though?
The stock truck file I have is set for PRNDL and F-body files are set to NONE. Not too sure what effect it would have on shifting.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by flame
The stock truck file I have is set for PRNDL and F-body files are set to NONE. Not too sure what effect it would have on shifting.
That setting in the PCM only relates to what type of display the vehicle has. If you set it to none and the vehicle has a display, it will not send the signal up the class 2 data buss to operate it. If you set it to Park / Nuetral and you have the full display only park and nuetral will light up. It doesn't mater where you set it, if you don't have a display

If you don't hook up the wiring on the selector switch, it will not work at all
Old 01-03-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poconojoe
That setting in the PCM only relates to what type of display the vehicle has. If you set it to none and the vehicle has a display, it will not send the signal up the class 2 data buss to operate it. If you set it to Park / Nuetral and you have the full display only park and nuetral will light up. It doesn't mater where you set it, if you don't have a display

If you don't hook up the wiring on the selector switch, it will not work at all
Good to know. Now I can say I learned something today!
Old 01-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Banned

By the way, by not work at all I mean the display,will not work, after rereading it I see where my post could be misconstrued, to mean the PCM will not work
Old 01-04-2010, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poconojoe
By the way, by not work at all I mean the display,will not work, after rereading it I see where my post could be misconstrued, to mean the PCM will not work
I got a reply back from Brenden at LT1swap.com who did my PCM and he told me on my application no signal from the PRNDL switch to the PCM is required. You can leave out the small square plug with the 4 wires. PCM will use the transmission internal pressure switch manifold to determine manual shaft position.

So I guess I still need to use the big plug
Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is something I found while researching this same question

The PCM uses the signal to adjust idle speed based on whether the car is in gear or in park/neutral.
As soon as the PCM "sees" the car go in gear it drops the idle speed by around 100 rpm to prevent jerking going into gear, and to prevent tugging at the torque converter.

It can be considered as optional on a swap. As long as the line is left open the PCM will always assume the car is in gear, and will drop to lower rpm when the engine is started. This also causes a much quicker rpm rampdown on a cold engine start.

Some aftermarket wiring harness companies that have no clue as to how the PCM works will wire this line to ground which makes the PCM think the car is always in park or neutral. On some applications this allows some diagnostic tests to be skipped (EGR, purge, etc.) so that these items can be left off without setting a code. The problem is that the idle is too fast then, and the car wantts to pull a little when sitting still, as well as other issues.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know if the neutral safety switch plug is interwoven in the stock engine harnesses for the PCM or is it connectted through one of the connectors like the C100?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Default neutral safety switch

I want to use the neutral switch in my 6 speed transmission. Does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to wire it in and what parts are needed to make it work?
Thanks Joe
Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joe Nova
I want to use the neutral switch in my 6 speed transmission. Does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to wire it in and what parts are needed to make it work?
Thanks Joe
I don't think you 6 speed has a nuetral safety switch, you use the clutch switch to make sure it doesn't start in gear
Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured it out

Last edited by 1976CamaroGuy; 01-05-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Thealien
Here is something I found while researching this same question

The PCM uses the signal to adjust idle speed based on whether the car is in gear or in park/neutral.
As soon as the PCM "sees" the car go in gear it drops the idle speed by around 100 rpm to prevent jerking going into gear, and to prevent tugging at the torque converter.

It can be considered as optional on a swap. As long as the line is left open the PCM will always assume the car is in gear, and will drop to lower rpm when the engine is started. This also causes a much quicker rpm rampdown on a cold engine start.

Some aftermarket wiring harness companies that have no clue as to how the PCM works will wire this line to ground which makes the PCM think the car is always in park or neutral. On some applications this allows some diagnostic tests to be skipped (EGR, purge, etc.) so that these items can be left off without setting a code. The problem is that the idle is too fast then, and the car wantts to pull a little when sitting still, as well as other issues.
all true...

Personal experience has shown that there is not much of an issue leaving out the PRNDL. I do notice a quicker ramp down on idle speed (especially on DBW engines) (I would assume high idle on cold startup is to help get the cats up to temp). I've never noticed an engagement problem at all.

I've not had issue on LT1, Vortec 5.3 at all (cable or DBW), unless they had aftermarket cams.

Quick Reply: Neutral Safety Switch Questions