Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump wiring

Are you guys running fused links from the pcm to the fuel pump or using a relay? If relay, does someone have a wiring diagram for this?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definately use a fuel pump relay. #10 red wire from the alternator stud to the relay for power. Fuse this wire near the alternator end. Relay is triggered by the computer.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And if I recall correctly, the PCM provides a switched 12V to pull the relay. Unlike the fan relays, where the PCM switches ground.

So the relay will have:

10ga 12VDC in from fused battery source
10ga 12VDC out to fuel pump
14ga (?) 12VDC in from PCM
14ga (?) to chassis ground
Old 03-25-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Resident

Default Fuel Pump Relay Amperage?

Originally Posted by crainholio
And if I recall correctly, the PCM provides a switched 12V to pull the relay. Unlike the fan relays, where the PCM switches ground.

So the relay will have:

10ga 12VDC in from fused battery source
10ga 12VDC out to fuel pump
14ga (?) 12VDC in from PCM
14ga (?) to chassis ground
Yes. And I forget crainholio...does this call for a 30...or a 40 amp relay? thanx
Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

A standard 30 amp BOSCH square style relay works fine for one pump. It would wire as follows:

pin 30 - fused power in
pin 87 - output to pump
pin 85 - ground
pin 86 - + from ECM that turns on pump
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

and remember, PCm will only send a three second 12v power until the engine is running.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ssduane
and remember, PCm will only send a three second 12v power until the engine is running.
Which raises a question. In an accident, would this be safe? Guess it would depend on if the engine remained running or not. Just a thought.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Walbro #GSL392, and the Walbro chart shows that it draws 13.9 AMPs. Why would you need a #10 wire?

"and remember, PCm will only send a three second 12v power until the engine is running." Once the engine is running, is there no longer 12V power to signal the relay? If this is indeed the case, does the relay need to be the latching type or how do you manage to keep the fuel pump running?

"Which raises a question. In an accident, would this be safe? "
This question keeps comming up in my mind as well. Many of the Cobra replica builders that run the Ford EFI, also install the Ford inertia switch that cuts the power to the fuel pump relay in case of an accident or roll-over. Do GM cars have some type of similar device?

Thank,
Andy1
Old 03-26-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

You don't really need a #10 gauge size wire. You could use a #14 gauge wire or a #12. Its just that its a bit of a long run & I prefer #10 wire. And planning for future pump(s) size upgrades does'nt hurt.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Staging Lane

I wired mine up like MeanYellowZ and it works great. Mine does do the 2-3 second prime when I turn the ignition on and then shuts off.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

what all does the power output fromt he PCM do? im redoing my fuelpump wiring as i wired in my inertia switch and CCRM frm my 94 mustang and i keep having fuel pump connectivity problems. im sure its my CCRM but i plan to wire it straight to an ignition source in my trunk. when my key is on....i want my fuel pump on. i personally dont feel the PCM does anything as far as read outputs for tuning or anything fancy. isnt it strickly just an on offf switch for the pump? the whole idea is not to run a wire from the rear all the way to the bay.

thanks, adam
Old 05-29-2009, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

So anyone wire it up with using the PCM? I have a carb setup, the pump says i can just run power and ground and not use a relay. What benefit would the relay give?
Old 05-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

The PCM can't give the required current to power a pump, just a relay coil which uses considerably less current. So you use the PCM to energise the relay coil which in turn connects the battery (= lots of current) to the pump via the relay contacts.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by eric1h
So anyone wire it up with using the PCM? I have a carb setup, the pump says i can just run power and ground and not use a relay. What benefit would the relay give?
The benefit of the relay is it takes the load off of your ignition switch, if you have it wired up to come on whenever the key is on. The iginition switch isn't designed to handle the kind of amps an electric fuel pump pulls.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

In a wreck, the PCM will stop supplying pull voltage to the fuel pump relay, stopping the pump from running.

Hard-wire your fuel pump to a manual switch, and Darwin may have a chat with you later on.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crainholio
In a wreck, the PCM will stop supplying pull voltage to the fuel pump relay, stopping the pump from running.

Hard-wire your fuel pump to a manual switch, and Darwin may have a chat with you later on.
can anyone verify this? this was my question about wiring up the pump straight to an ignition source. fbodys dont have an inertia switch or anything that i would see killing the pump. how does the pcm know the car was in an accident? also, you have to remember most cars making serious power go with a stand alone which doesnt have any type of fuel cutoff for accidents.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a carb, but used a relay and an oil pressure cut off switch. The relay lets me run thinner wire to the oil pressure switch. And like someone said takes the load off the ignition switch. I have it fused right off the main circuit.

My 140 gph pump has a 7.5 amp fuse. 10 guage wire won't hurt anything but it is massive overkill.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by adam`
can anyone verify this? this was my question about wiring up the pump straight to an ignition source. fbodys dont have an inertia switch or anything that i would see killing the pump. how does the pcm know the car was in an accident?
There aren't many really hard hits you can put on a vehicle that won't stop the engine. PCM sees the engine not turning, it stops the fuel pump.

Sure there are some wrecks that will leave the engine turning, but if the fuel supply line is severed guess what...the engine stops. See above.

Rig the fuel pump on a manual switch, and even with the engine stopped and a fuel line ruptured you'll still be spraying gas as long as the battery and FP circuit are intact.

Originally Posted by adam`
also, you have to remember most cars making serious power go with a stand alone which doesnt have any type of fuel cutoff for accidents.
They also have fire suppression systems. Don't look at what teenagers and 20-somethings are driving, look at what the guys with a few gray hairs run. There's a reason they're still alive and driving.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I have a carb, but used a relay and an oil pressure cut off switch. The relay lets me run thinner wire to the oil pressure switch. And like someone said takes the load off the ignition switch. I have it fused right off the main circuit.

My 140 gph pump has a 7.5 amp fuse. 10 guage wire won't hurt anything but it is massive overkill.
What relay and switch did you use?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1GMCTruck
You don't really need a #10 gauge size wire. You could use a #14 gauge wire or a #12. Its just that its a bit of a long run & I prefer #10 wire. And planning for future pump(s) size upgrades does'nt hurt.

Does this eliminate the need for "Hotwire" kits you see for cars that were EFI from the factory (F-bodies, Turbo Buicks, etc)? I know the factory wiring was marginal and the "Hotwire" kits were the way to ensure a full 13.2v (IIRC) to the pump.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump wiring