Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone got a truck dipstick/tube measurements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Anyone got a truck dipstick/tube measurements?

I swapped out the truck oil pan on my 02 LQ9 for an 02 winged vette oil pan for clearance issues. I also swapped out the windage tray, pickup tube, and dipstick/tube to clear the 02 vette exhaust I'm using with it.
I've got 8 quarts of oil in it and it's just barely shows up on the dipstick. The 02 vette list capacity at 6.5 quarts, and the tube is fully seated in the block mounting hole.
I thought this stuff was all interchangible. Does anyone have a truck dipstick and tube so I can compare length measurements?
Old 04-19-2009, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm running a 5.3l Truck Dipstick and Tube with my F-body Oil Pan, and with 6 Quarts it shows it perfectly..just a hair over full.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:02 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just ran out to the garage. heres the #`s These are all measured from the bump on the dipstick thats about 1/2" above the o-ring. I measured from the bump because that is what controls how deep the stick sits in the block

Truck
7.25" to the tip of the stick.
5"-6.5" for the operating range

F-Body (measured this one yesterday because I had it out of the car)
6 and 3/8" to the tip
3.75" - 4.5" for the operating range

Up until today I had assumed that the oil level in the block always stayed the same and that the difference between the dipsticks was just in their shape and location outside the block.......guess I was wrong on that assumption
Old 04-19-2009, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

OK, I think we're on to something. Dipstick tube flange to full mark on dipstick reads 1 5/8". I thought operating range was determined by crank and windage tray. Looking more complicated than I thought. Anyone else with flange to full oil info?

Originally Posted by G-Body
Just ran out to the garage. heres the #`s These are all measured from the bump on the dipstick thats about 1/2" above the o-ring. I measured from the bump because that is what controls how deep the stick sits in the block

Truck
7.25" to the tip of the stick.
5"-6.5" for the operating range

F-Body (measured this one yesterday because I had it out of the car)
6 and 3/8" to the tip
3.75" - 4.5" for the operating range

Up until today I had assumed that the oil level in the block always stayed the same and that the difference between the dipsticks was just in their shape and location outside the block.......guess I was wrong on that assumption

Last edited by garys 68; 04-20-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Junkie

One other thought. Are the alumuminum LS motors machined differently than the iron truck motors where the dipstick mounts?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

TTT, anyone else have info on this?
Old 02-29-2016, 03:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resurrecting this thread as it's very applicable to me and haven't been able to find anything good on the subject yet.

This is an LS2-swapped 951 with a custom, "winged" oil pan and dual oil cooler setup. I need to purchase + calibrate the ideal oil level and am not able to make heads-or-tails about how best to achieve this. I am no engine builder so I'm unsure how the proper oil level is initially determined from the factory -- I'm assuming it has something to do with the ideal level relative to the windage tray?

Unfortunately, I can't simply go off the capacity of the stock 'vette because both my pan and my oil coolers change everything. And since this is a race car, I need to ensure my level is spot on.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Resurrecting this thread as it's very applicable to me and haven't been able to find anything good on the subject yet.

This is an LS2-swapped 951 with a custom, "winged" oil pan and dual oil cooler setup. I need to purchase + calibrate the ideal oil level and am not able to make heads-or-tails about how best to achieve this. I am no engine builder so I'm unsure how the proper oil level is initially determined from the factory -- I'm assuming it has something to do with the ideal level relative to the windage tray?

Unfortunately, I can't simply go off the capacity of the stock 'vette because both my pan and my oil coolers change everything. And since this is a race car, I need to ensure my level is spot on.
The capacity of your system has been increased, but the proper level of the oil in the pan has not. Just use your LS2 dipstick.

Andrew
Old 02-29-2016, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response, Andrew. Unfortunately I have a TBSS dipstick + tube, which was designed to go into a front-mounted sump directly into the pan. This configuration has me going into a rear-mounted sump through the port in the block.

I've been able to do a good amount of research on the subject and it seems that getting the oil level to ~1/2" from the windage tray is good for these motors. This oil pan is not terribly deep but does have one-way baffles, trap doors, and a second windage tray in the sump to help keep sloshing in order.

Does this sound right?

Additionally, some have mentioned there is a correlation between oil pressure and oil level. Evidently, pressure in the system will start to decrease if the oil level is too low. Given the way oil could slosh around in the sump and create dry spots, does this seem like a fair correlation?

Thanks again!
Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Collin,

I don't know about the correlation between oil level and oil pressure, but it does make intuitive sense (which means nothing really...LOL).

Does your engine block have a hole in it for the dipstick? If so, I would just get a LS2 Corvette dipstick and call it a day.

Andrew

Quick Reply: Anyone got a truck dipstick/tube measurements?