Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro 67 Ls1 headers and steerings for best clearing and ground clearanse

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camaro 67 Ls1 headers and steerings for best clearing and ground clearanse

Hi

I´m building a camaro 67 with Ls1 engine an now i need to get
new LS1 conversion headers
new steering box/rack

Witch headers would you recomend in the lower price range? ( below $800 )
and what steering should i get?

I want the best possible groundclearance,
Are there any full lenght headers headers that doesn´t go below the subframe?

I´we looked at hooker and dougs and can´t really se the differens, are there any besides the price?
I found some pics of the hooker headers and they seems to go pretty low, is that correct?

I also looked at the S&P short headers, if i use them i can build my own exhaust pretty close to the floor, are these as good as full lenght headers?

As for the steering I´m leening toward the Lee 670 box from DSE with a full linkage rebuild kit.
I would love a rack conversion but i won´t do it if it will effect my handling negative with bumpsteer etc.

I got the S&P type motor mounts today byt i´m willing to change if it would make my build easier.
http://matt.undiagnosed.org/ls1/imag...ount_plate.jpg

//Mattias
Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Launching!

hookers on my first gen camaro
Attached Thumbnails Camaro 67 Ls1 headers and steerings for best clearing and ground clearanse-001.jpg  
Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the picture

witch motor mounts do you have?

where there any issues with the headers hitting the steeringbox (is it stock?) or the steering arm?

Any one know about the doug´s headers?
Old 07-10-2009, 02:39 PM
TECH Resident

A Lee box is the way to go. Whether you get it direct from Lee, or from DSE, or from ATS is up to you.

Which headers will fit is going to depend on where you locate the engine. With ATS-style mount plates and short/wide ES mounts on '68 327 frame stands, Hookers touched my AGR steering box in 2 places and the pitman arm in one, requiring 3 dimples.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thulle
Thanks for the picture

witch motor mounts do you have?

where there any issues with the headers hitting the steeringbox (is it stock?) or the steering arm?

Any one know about the doug´s headers?
Hooker plates, I don't know which of the two types of motor mounts, but I recently posted a picture of my motor mounts in https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...r-oil-pan.html.

Stock steering box and suspension. No issues with headers hitting anything in the suspension. I think my valve covers are about an inch or just a cu*t hair less from the fire wall.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 AM
On The Tree

I have the Carshop 1" set back mounts with 307/327 stands and Hookers fit great on my car. Very tight to the floor pan and good clearance on the steering box. I researched steering set ups when I put my car together and I ended up going with the quick ratio 3rd Fbody box. From what I read the Flaming River rack set up got pretty poor reviews for ground clearance and the Unisteer set up got mixed reviews. The TRZ rack set up seems good and gives lots of clearance since it is front mounted but you do lose turning radiaus and it is non power. I really wanted the TRZ set up and they were very helpful when I called to ask questions but the loss of turning radius scared me. I didn't want to have to make a 27 point turn when trying to back into a spot at the local hangout! There were quite a few good steering boxes available but from what I read on Teamcamaro.com the 3rd Gen fbody box is hard to beat especially for the money. I ended up getting a reman box for about $120 then bought every steering component new and I have less than $500 in everything and it drives great and the steering has that "high performance" feel like a much later model car. Lots of good reading on this topic over at teamcamaro.com

Quick Reply: Camaro 67 Ls1 headers and steerings for best clearing and ground clearanse