Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 pressure plate bolted to LS flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default LT1 pressure plate bolted to LS flywheel?

Will a LT1 pressure plate bolt to a LS style flywheel. I have a LQ4 6.0 and a will be using a '94 LT1 T56 trans. I have a Quicktime bellhousing that will allow the trans. to bolt to the block. I'm not sure which flywheel I need to work use with this set up. An advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Anyone? I need some info. as soon as possible. I have a guy holding some parts for me. I need to know if this set up is possible.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

No. Convert the T56 to LS Style.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by the_merv
No. Convert the T56 to LS Style.
So the bolt circle is different on the LS flywheel? I was thinking the bolt circle on the LT1 pressure plate was the same as the LS flywheel.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:21 PM
On The Tree

Well I got my answer today. I contacted a few flywheel manufactures today and the bolt circle on a LT1 is 11-5/8" and a LS is 12-5/8". I will need a smooth LS flywheel so I can add the LT1 pressure plate bolt pattern. At least I know what I need to do now to get this set up going.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolt patern for the crank flange is slightly different for the LS1 and old school small block. The index hole is the same size and the dowel pin is in the same location for both. The LS motors only come with 168 tooth flywheels. The LT1 motors (check on this) I think came with only 153 tooth flywheels. The 153 tooth flywheel is too small for the LS starter to work and the LS flywheel may be to big for the bellhousing. What flywheel is your bellhousing designed for? The Face of the LS crank flange is .400 closer to the block than the LT crank flange. This affects the distance the clutch is from the trans and therefore throw out bearing engagment. W/O doing research I dont know how your setup is going to be effected. Another consideration is the pilot bearing engagement into the trans input shaft... again its going to be dependant on the depth of the bell. Also need to consider the diamter of the input shaft vs the pilot bearing inside diameter. Adapter pilot bearings are available with different ID's and distances from the crank flange.

All this talk of adapting though... the T56 also came on LS1 motors. Like the Merv said, you can convert it into an LS style trans by swapping parts.

Anyway, I would hope that Quick Time would be able to answer your questions since they made your bell. If not, Contact McLeod... they have an extensive line of conversion parts to do this kind of thing. Have all your dimensions including the bell housing depth and other info in hand when you call them and they will work out the part numbers for you.

Now, reality check... I've heard other people talk about the cost of doing this in the past... I haven't personally worked out the finances of doing this myself but its rumoreed to be much more expensive to adapt an LT trans to a LS motor. Most people will suggest selling the LT trans to a Small Block Chevy guy who is looking for a 6-speed swap. You should be able to sell it and buy an LS Trans with the proceeds and save you $ in the process. A search will probably tell you the same thing.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Staging Lane

a lt1 trans can be converted in a matter of min's. all you need to do is swap the front cover and the input shaft. it is very easy to do, BUT the price of a bellhousing, front cover and input shaft can add up in cost, i done such conversion but i own lt1 and ls1 equipped cars
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

I finally came up with a way to use my LT1 T56 and not change the front cover and input shaft. I ordered a Quicktime bell housing, LS aluminum flywheel, LT5 pressure plate and clutch disc. My brother drilled the LT1 pressure plate bolt circle in the LS flywheel by indexing in the mill. Now the LT1 pressure plate will bolt up to the LS flywheel. This allowed me to retain the LT1 style clutch set up, i.e. clutch fork, release bearing, clutch (LT5 style, no springs), etc.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

There ya go..hope it works out for you..
Old 11-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Default T5 mated to a 2008 5.3 Vortec

Similar to the above, I am trying to understand how or if I can mate a 2008 5.3 Vortec from Silveado to a T5 Tranny (currently in my chevelle) from an 84 Camaro. I know the bellhousing will bolt up, minus two bolt holes, but the flywheel is smaller than the automatic flexplate, and the bolt pattern is different....What exactly would I need to complete this project?

Thanks!!

Last edited by mserges; 11-29-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mserges
Similar to the above, I am trying to understand how or if I can mate a 2008 5.3 Vortec from Silveado to a T5 Tranny (currently in my chevelle) from an 84 Camaro. I know the bellhousing will bolt up, minus two bolt holes, but the flywheel is smaller than the automatic flexplate, and the bolt pattern is different....What exactly would I need to complete this project?

Thanks!!
You need the McLeod adapter flywheel p/n 460535. It runs about $425. You can then use an old style SBC clutch assembly, saving about $100 in the process (attach LS to a part and the price goes up $100 .

Your bellhousing will bolt up, but it might not be big enough for the large LS flywheel. Old SBCs generally got a smaller flywheel (153 tooth) and 10.5 inch clutch. Some high performance SBCs got a larger flywheel (168 tooth) and 11-inch clutch. Each setup had its own bellhousing. You can use a large bellhousing with a 153 tooth flywheel, but a small bellhousing and 168 tooth flywheel does not work. You need the bellhousing for the larger flywheel and clutch. Keisler and others sell a reproduction GM "621" bellhousing. It runs about $250.

If your car already has provisions for a hydraulic clutch, you are then ready to go. If not, either need to convert to hydraulic or get a clutch ball pivot adapter plate sold by Scoggin Dickey. It runs about $60. Even then, its not drop in.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A possible $50 alternative for a 168 tooth LS flywheel drilled for old school BBC clutch....
Sachs NFW1050
Add to that a 621 BBC bell housing and an LS7 pilot bearing.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Default Clutch set to use with the NFW1050?

OK, so I have the NFW1050 and it fits nicely on the 5.3....now looking for a clutch package.....reasonably priced.....I have an old school 11 inch clutch, but there are two dowel pins that on the 1050 that interfere with bolting it up....Looks like a 12 inch would match up better....running a T5 26 spline behind it....any recommendation/part numbers on a clutch set??
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I pulled the pins out and just ordered clutch bolts for an 05 silverado 1 ton, 6.0. I've got a 68 BBC 10 spline clutch to mate to a Muncie. A 72 BBC clutch package will have 26 spline. Rockauto, $74.
Pace shows the flywheel in their kit with the pins removed too.
http://paceperformance.com/i-5146180...rsion-kit.html
Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 AM
Staging Lane

This is awesome. Thanks for the post. I actually have a nearly identical situation. I just purchased a LQ4 from a 2000 Sierra and I wanted to use my LT1 setup cuz I have lots of performance LT1 tranny and clutch parts I didn't want to replace with the LS setup. Do I have to use the LT5 clutch setup or can I use my performance clutch setup? Did you use a stock LQ4 starter? Do you have schematics or specific instructions for the machining your brother did? This is an older post so how did the install workout? Have you had any problems since? Any suggestions for someone about to start the swap? Instructions for the machine shop to do machining of the fly wheel? Thanks so much!

Originally Posted by 52 Rat
I finally came up with a way to use my LT1 T56 and not change the front cover and input shaft. I ordered a Quicktime bell housing, LS aluminum flywheel, LT5 pressure plate and clutch disc. My brother drilled the LT1 pressure plate bolt circle in the LS flywheel by indexing in the mill. Now the LT1 pressure plate will bolt up to the LS flywheel. This allowed me to retain the LT1 style clutch set up, i.e. clutch fork, release bearing, clutch (LT5 style, no springs), etc.

Last edited by Global Warmer LQ4; 09-12-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:23 AM
TECH Junkie

You may have another issue. Does your 2000 6.0 have a crank that extends about 1/2" beyond the block? If so, these were only bolted to an auto trans and I don't think any manual trans flywheel will work.

Originally Posted by Global Warmer LQ4
This is awesome. Thanks for the post. I actually have a nearly identical situation. I just purchased a LQ4 from a 2000 Sierra and I wanted to use my LT1 setup cuz I have lots of performance LT1 tranny and clutch parts I didn't want to replace with the LS setup. Do I have to use the LT5 clutch setup or can I use my performance clutch setup? Did you use a stock LQ4 starter? Do you have schematics or specific instructions for the machining your brother did? This is an older post so how did the install workout? Have you had any problems since? Any suggestions for someone about to start the swap? Instructions for the machine shop to do machining of the fly wheel? Thanks so much!
Old 11-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garys 68
You may have another issue. Does your 2000 6.0 have a crank that extends about 1/2" beyond the block? If so, these were only bolted to an auto trans and I don't think any manual trans flywheel will work.
Yup. It actually sticks out 0.400 inches. I can only make auto trans work with that crankshaft. I was planning on rebuilding the whole bottom end anyways so I was okay with the 2000 LQ4. A local machine shop specializing in crankshafts will swap me for the correct crankshaft machined, ready to install and with new bearings for about $120.

I got used flat top LS2 rods and pistons for $100 I'm going to use. I might just insist on a 24x LS2 crank just to keep everything consistent. lol

After I'm done, and if I settle on 799's, it'll essentially be an iron block LS2 with a truck intake, a nice cam, and aftermarket exhaust....
Old 11-17-2013, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

My guess, by the time you swap out the iron heads, have the crank swapped and machine work done, you'll have 2 to 3 times the amount of money into it compare to a low mileage aluminum head 01+ LQ4/9.
Originally Posted by Global Warmer LQ4
Yup. It actually sticks out 0.400 inches. I can only make auto trans work with that crankshaft. I was planning on rebuilding the whole bottom end anyways so I was okay with the 2000 LQ4. A local machine shop specializing in crankshafts will swap me for the correct crankshaft machined, ready to install and with new bearings for about $120.

I got used flat top LS2 rods and pistons for $100 I'm going to use. I might just insist on a 24x LS2 crank just to keep everything consistent. lol

After I'm done, and if I settle on 799's, it'll essentially be an iron block LS2 with a truck intake, a nice cam, and aftermarket exhaust....
Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by garys 68
My guess, by the time you swap out the iron heads, have the crank swapped and machine work done, you'll have 2 to 3 times the amount of money into it compare to a low mileage aluminum head 01+ LQ4/9.
believe it or not..it seems a little cheaper. around here low mileage 01+ LQ4/9's are expensive. at least $1200. Outside of the Bay Area, CA the prices are a lot cheaper but when you factor in shipping and fee's, plus harness [a lot of places don't sell with a harness] it ends up being about the same.

The place I bought the engine from will swap me for 317's (if I can't find 799's for a little more cash- the guy that runs the yard just looks at them as 05+ GM truck heads so I'm holding out for 799's). I bought the LS2 pistons and rods for $100. I found a crankshaft place that will exchange my crank for a real good price.

I kept looking for awhile until I finally decided I needed to make a move on this LQ4 project or I'd be talking about it forever. Now there's momentum cuz I have an LQ4 sitting in my garage getting stripped down and ready for the machine shop.

idk...maybe I made a few cash offering to the hot rod gods...you live you learn.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have the part numbers for the bell housing and the flywheel mentioned above I cannot find them anywhere. I would really hate to have to get rid of my current clutch just to get a new one

Quick Reply: LT1 pressure plate bolted to LS flywheel?