Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 l with ls2 manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 l with ls2 manifold

Okay after several motors, I will be going with the 2003 lq4 6.0l. Now I need help/advise. I bought and sold the edelbrock pro-flow intake as it was to high and will be running the l-88 hood. If I kept the pro-flow I would have to change the hood and did not want to go that route. After reading a hole on this site and a couple other I decided to run the ls2 intake and ported and it is supposed to be better than a out of the box fast 90. I will be keeping the 90mm t-body. What else will I need to make this happen? L92 water pump. ls2 injecters and fuel rail? any thing else? I can run fast or edelbrock alum rails? From their I was going to swap out the springs to some ls6 or comp cams beheive, new comp 7.40 push rods and 1.80 stamped roller rockers, with a comp cams thumper cam or mother thumper cam. I know their is a lot of better cams I can run but every were I go someone says something else. I don't plan to make big hp number just want my 71 velle to sound like it did with my built 350. It will be a driver, running a 4l60e and 3.90 gears. My questions is are my combos above okay and what else will I need. any links that my help would be great.

Thanks.

Mods if I posted in the wrong sec please change.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 chevelle
anyone?
I hope someone chimes in. I have a LQ4 as well. I'm not sure if I want to change the intake or cam. My '06 HD has a LQ4 and it pulls hard for a big truck! I like the low end torque. I am building a '52 Chevy Truck with a LQ4 and T56, just a cruiser.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Katech can solve some of your problems with some of there conversion stuff. Factory LS1 injectors and rails on your LS2 intake, connectors to use your truck harness with the car style injectors.

http://store.katechengines.com/share...unt2=226707100

www.racetronix.com has some stuff too.

To run a car intake on your truck engine, you are gonna have to switch to car style accessory drive, probly Fbody, this is cuz of the top idler pulley gets in the way of the car style TB being lower. In doing that you will have to drill and tap a hole in the block for the Fbody alternator bracket to bolt to. The boss is there already, but GM dont drill and tap the truck blocks. Boss is drivers side, down kinda lowish, outside edge facing the front of the vehicle. Swapping the acc drive will require swapping the water pump. Im not sure about the TB connector, but the 90mm one might be different then the truck one you have, those links have a solution to that.

There is lots of info out there, just gotta start saving links in your bookmarks and keep them for later. Collect that knowledge.

Good luck, that project sounds cool.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
To run a car intake on your truck engine, you are gonna have to switch to car style accessory drive, probly Fbody, this is cuz of the top idler pulley gets in the way of the car style TB being lower. In doing that you will have to drill and tap a hole in the block for the Fbody alternator bracket to bolt to. The boss is there already, but GM dont drill and tap the truck blocks. Boss is drivers side, down kinda lowish, outside edge facing the front of the vehicle. Swapping the acc drive will require swapping the water pump. Im not sure about the TB connector, but the 90mm one might be different then the truck one you have, those links have a solution to that.

There is lots of info out there, just gotta start saving links in your bookmarks and keep them for later. Collect that knowledge.

Good luck, that project sounds cool.
You don't have to change the accessories. You can get a relocate bracket for the idler, then just cut the alt bracket. You can mod the truck water pump outlet or swap to an LS1 and run spacers to make up for the offset.

I think speartech sells the bracket and spacers.

Read this from the truck site.
http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...ght=LS6+intake
Old 08-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Launching!

I was going to use the relocate bracket to keep my acc drive. I was also going to use the l92 water pump(link below) and would solve the water neck issue. I was going to use the ls2 injecctors but why does everyone replace them with ls1? is it just cost or???? I will start posting picks and list everything that will be done as I go along.

http://www.superchevyperformance.com...p/12600767.htm
Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think LS1 stuff is more common. I honestly dont know what the deal is, LS2 stuff seems to be looked down upon a bit. I was just suggesting those sites cuz it enables you to use LS1/6 rails and injectors if you didnt already have LS2 stuff. More options is always a good thing. What is this water neck issue you speak of??
Old 08-03-2009, 11:11 PM
Launching!

truck w/p have one of the water necks coming out on top of the pump right by the t/b the l92 is to the front like a ls1/ls6. Or is the idler the onlything in the way?

l92

truck lq4/lq9 .......

Old 08-03-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmm, not sure. The Performance Truck site has lots of info on the truck stuff, have a poke around there.

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...ntake+on+truck

Thats one that I know of. Probly more. Look for LS6 intake swaps.

I think Ive read that just cutting down the upper pipe a bit is enough to clear the TB.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Well here I go.

I made several calls over the last couple of days. The final okay was from John at TR.

I will be running the mother thumper cam(54-601-11) from comp along with thier springs and pushrods. I bought the ls2 intake ans started taking my motor apart.
Since I no longer need my truck intake I will be selling the truck intake, oil pan, and a spare ls1 block I have.

Things I need are ls2 fuel rail, ls2 injectors and a 4 bolt 90 mm t/b or parts to adapt ls2 to ls1. if anyone has any of these parts, laying around let me know I will take them of your hand.
Since I do not know how to replace the cam and do the deggreing if anyone is local and would like to give me a hand I will keep the beers coming.

here are some pics. That is my four year old boy lending a hand.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Launching!

1) use LS2 intake, TB, injectors and rails (assuming you dont have a harness yet, just have it made with LS2 connectors for the injectors)

2) Use Corvette TAC Module and Pedal for LS2 TB

3) Use L92 Gen IV truck water pump

4) Use idler pulley relocation bracket (action speed, speartech, or other)

5) THE LS2 THROTTLE BODY IS GOING TO HIT THE L92 WATER PUMP NECK SLIGHTLY. I MADE A TB SPACER THAT "CLOCKED" THE TB TO CLEAR THE NECK, SIMILAR TO ANOTHER MEMBER ON HERE. SEARCH THE USER "ALOCKER" AND FIND THE THREAD RE: LS2 90MM THROTTLE BODY FOR PICS OF HOW ITS DONE. THIS SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY WAY TO USE THE TRUCK ACCESSORY DRIVE AND THE LS2 THROTTLE BODY, UNLESS YOU WERE TO USE A VETTE OR CAMARO PUMP WITH THE PULLEY PULLED FORWARD, OR THE WP SPACED OUT AND TENSIONER MACHINED BACK IN LINE.

(Just went through all this on my last project, hope i can save u some work! FYI....dont even try the 87mm Gen IV truck TB.....it bolts up, has the same connector, but absolutley will not work, search it if u like
Old 08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Got my mother thumper cam today. Looks good. Now just need to get the push rods and springs. I also have the ls2 fuel rail and injectors coming. So pretty soon I will have everything to finish up the block. I will just need someone to put all this in my motor, any volunteers?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Got my mother thumper cam today. Looks good. Now just need to get the push rods and springs. I also have the ls2 fuel rail and injectors coming. So pretty soon I will have everything to finish up the block. I will just need someone to put all this in my motor, any volunteers?
Which cam is this? Do you have the brand, part number, etc.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 52 Rat
Which cam is this? Do you have the brand, part number, etc.

comp cams 54-601-11
Old 08-14-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im kinda curious about why you dont just use your truck water pump?? Why switch to the L92 one? Also, what are you going to use for an oil pan? The Autokraft one is sure nice, I wish I had used that one instead of the Moroso one.

And also, Im not 100%, but I think the 6.0L flex plates are different cuz they come bolted up to a 4L80E, not a 4L60E, so you might have to get a different one or some other solution.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

comp cams 54-601-11
Can the ECU be tuned for this cam? Who did your tune? I have a stock Lq4 and would like to go with this set up.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Launching!

the tb will hit if I use the stock water pump so I would have to go with a car wp and use spacer , or change my acc drive. The best solution is the l92 water pump. As far I know no issue with the plate.

yes the ecu can be tuned for this cam. I dont have some yet to do it but not a issue.

Oil pan I have the stock I can cut down. I have a lh8 and looking for a ls1. I was going to use a ats or a autokraft but low on $$$ I am working with what I have and trading parts??? any one have a spare autokraft pan ???
Old 10-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Formerly 99-2door-08/30/2010

Do you have to relocate the idler pulley with the L92 pump?
Anybody know?

I am planning a LS2 or Ls6 intake swap onto my LQ4 and would like to use the L92 pump if it makes it easier.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Hate to rain on the 'ol parade...

...but there is a difference in the car vs truck water pumps besides the obvious upper water outlet.

Truck water pumps / accessory drives sit farther away from the engine than the Corvette (closest), F-Body (next), GTO and CTS-V. Due to the large width pulley the Vette and F-Body share WP part #'s. When you change to the car WP with truck accessories, your belt won't align with the pulley meaning you need to either space out the WP or move to the crank pulley from a car. Changing to the car crank pulley means the accessory drive needs to be changed accordingly. If someone made a WP spacer of correct length I would buy a car WP and route my top hose better. I hadn't seen one in time for the most recent swap where I could have used it and never thought about it before I was well beyond the practical point of no return.

Just trying to save you stress of what I learned the hard way.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Man I've heard from several people on this board that the LS2 intake was a waste, it was a tad better then an LS1 but not as good as an LS6/Fast90..Even ported..Hmm and I've got one laying around too..lol

Keep in mind if you run LS2 injectors with LS1 harness you"ll need new connectors..

I'm running a Fast intake that was really meant for an LS1/LS6, so to get it to fit the LS2 Fast sells a seperate bracket kit that holds the rail down and spaces the injectors...The LS2 injectors are a little bit fatter so pushing them into a Fast intake couldnt happen with out these spacers...

Quick Reply: 6.0 l with ls2 manifold