Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to pull from a corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do I need to pull from a corvette?

Gonna do a swap from a wrecked automatic corvette convertible 2008.

I am afraid that I am gonna forget to pull out something and it will end up being costly.

Can you guys help me make a list of everything that i would want to pull out of the wrecked car for a swap into my 1963 nova?

I'll start:

engine
ecu
fuse panels
gas pedal
brake pedal
O2 sensors

Stuff thats not gonna work:
tranny
wire harness
fuel regulator
radiator fans
radiator
exhaust manifolds

After that I'm stumped. What else should i grab?

Last edited by theomms; 09-23-2009 at 02:19 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

gas pedal, if it is for a strange swap, you may want to grab the brake pedal and the nice stuff attached to it (brake switch etc), 02 sensors if they look good, shifter and all associated sensors, Exhaust manifolds.

All I can think of right now.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Trans is not going to work out for you too well. the trans is in the rear with the rear diff.. unless your going to adapt the Vettes rear IRS and the tube that conects the engine to the trans/rear diff..
Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Damn. i didn't know that. What engine is in corvette convertibles? and when did they start putting the trans in the rear?

Sorry I am so ignorant, but thats why I am here.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by theomms
Damn. i didn't know that. What engine is in corvette convertibles? and when did they start putting the trans in the rear?

Sorry I am so ignorant, but thats why I am here.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....ettes09_27.jpg
Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by banshee100hp
thanks. when (what year) did they start doing that?
Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

1997, the c5 vette started it.

It's the Torque Tube.

It is going to be EXTREMELY difficult to put the vette wiring harness into your project. You're much better off talking to Jared at CPW. (currentperformance.com)

vette radiator/fans will be funky to make work also. And you'll want to get a regular oil pan. I'm not sure if the c6 has the "batwing" style oil pan like the c5 does.
Fuel regulator should be in the tank in the vette.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:58 AM
Teching In

WOW! I am way more clueless than i thought!

I thought I had struck gold when I heard about the '08 vette from a friend. I was under the impression that any LSX from a corvette would be workable.

Which LSX motor is in a 2008 vette convertible?

So i can't use the tranny, and I wont be able to use the fuel delivery system, and I won't be able to use the factory harness...at least tell me that I can make the motor work without too much trouble (compared to other ls1 swaps i have read about).

here is what i have so far:

1963 chevy II nova
after market front clip
TH350 and a 4L60E
one wrecked (from the side) 2008 convertible corvette

What would you do with it?

Last edited by theomms; 09-23-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

The engine is still a great find, LS3, 430hp... Using a Aftermarket front clip. it would most likey give you more room for the swap (depending on which one you got). As pointed out, many part may not work out for you.

But having a donner car is great for pulling parts as you need and adapting them to work with your swap car. But, its up to you to be creative on what you make work.

You just need to research more on you car and what engine your using to find out what might work or not.

Anyway, you can alway recoup some of your investment and sell of the rest of the Vette parts (interior, suspension, brake, etc).. may have to place some forsale add on the vette forums.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Teching In

If you find that you can't make the radiator work for what you want I'll take it off your hands to put in my 88 S10
Old 09-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
The engine is still a great find, LS3, 430hp... Using a Aftermarket front clip. it would most likey give you more room for the swap (depending on which one you got). As pointed out, many part may not work out for you.

But having a donner car is great for pulling parts as you need and adapting them to work with your swap car. But, its up to you to be creative on what you make work.

You just need to research more on you car and what engine your using to find out what might work or not.

Anyway, you can alway recoup some of your investment and sell of the rest of the Vette parts (interior, suspension, brake, etc).. may have to place some forsale add on the vette forums.
Thanks, for all the advice so far.

The whole thing about this deal is that I'm only gonna have one shot at the car this weekend before it gets sent off to the salvage yard.

Will the LS3 hook up to either one of the transmissions that I have?(TH350 and 4L60E)
Old 09-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bacon505
If you find that you can't make the radiator work for what you want I'll take it off your hands to put in my 88 S10
I have an 89 blazer

Old 09-23-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by theomms
Thanks, for all the advice so far.

The whole thing about this deal is that I'm only gonna have one shot at the car this weekend before it gets sent off to the salvage yard.

Will the LS3 hook up to either one of the transmissions that I have?(TH350 and 4L60E)
I would work primary on pulling the engine and all its accessories, pcm and wiring.. if time is short.. .Then start stripping out what you think is good and can sell off (seats, Fan, radiator, brakes, front and rear suspension.. many will use the brakes on other swap conversion cars. And Corvette guys are looking for parts to replace what they have broke..LOL..

Yes. you can use almost any GM transmission. If you research on the type of transmission, there are many whole have used just about all of the GM transmission and have documented what it takes to do so, but you have to Reseach and find out what flywheel, flexplate, TQ converter, spacer, bell housing, throwout bearing, etc to make them work.

In general, they will bolt up. There was even someone who used a 55-57 Chevy cast iron bell housing with a Muncie 4 sp.. TH350, 400, 200r4 and 700r4 have al been used.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Resident

How bad is it wrecked? Is the entire rolling chassis in tact or a total loss? I might be willing to swap my entire car for the wrecked vet. 1965 f-85 cutlass 2002 ls1 4l60e. I've been wanting to build a rod using the entire vet chassis and drive train.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Launching!

If you're willing, I'd like a few parts off of it possibly.

Seats
Auto shifter
Gauge Cluster
Wheels
Brake calipers and rotors
Steering Wheel
Steering column
Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2008 - it have navigation? I'll take the radio, steering wheel, and the steering wheel connector!

Did the steering wheel airbag go off? If not, I need the airbag too!

Heres what I would keep for your swap.

Seats, brakes, front c6 suspension setup - you can sell it if you dont need it.

Take out the trans before they scrap it - its a 6 speed auto, put it for sale on the corvetteforum.

Quick Reply: What do I need to pull from a corvette?