Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

putting a ls1 intake on a 5.3 need help with something

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default putting a ls1 intake on a 5.3 need help with something

ok got my 5.3 in for my car and im going to put the ls1 intake on. i test fit it and there is what im guessing is a coolant line that isright up against the intake. when i get everything together what do i do with this line. do i bend it outand hook something to it?
Attached Thumbnails putting a ls1 intake on a 5.3 need help with something-help.jpg  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

comeon someone has to have some input on this
Old 10-29-2009, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

that is the coolant line that goes to the throttle body on the truck
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

so now that im puttin an ls1 intake on it what do i do with it? cap it off or run it to the ls1 throttle body
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RNation0001
so now that im puttin an ls1 intake on it what do i do with it? cap it off or run it to the ls1 throttle body
it is also called the steam line and goes from the throttle back to the radiator, some cap it off without any problems and others say it has to be used.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Teching In

I see you don't have the throttle body on the intake yet, have you tried fitting it with the TB on there? Because 98% of the time it will not, without modifying the waterpump. This issue has been covered MANY times, try a search, it will detail it clearly with what you need to swap to make it work. In a nutshell, you need a new accessory bracket (car style) and a car waterpump.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're water pump can be used, you just need to turn it outward. Then make a precise dent in it with a hammer, and you're done . Also cap off that line, it's not needed.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I did the same thing, LS1 intake on LQ motor. I kept that steam vent by just bending it outward a little bit. I know others have capped it off and had no problems, but I figured GM put it there for some reason. I tapped a spot in my water pump and connected it to a fitting there, but you can connect it anywhere on the high pressure side of the cooling system.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:41 PM
11 Second Club

truck accessories and waterpump will work... i used the truck water pump but the filler neck needs to be either rotated or cut so it is at an angle towards the pass fender... or get a newer truck water pump and it is already molded at an angle for ya... thats the steam vent line like earlier stated some say its needed others say its not. its ran through the throttle body to heat it up faster or something but many bypass it or plug it.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bend and direct it so dont interfere with your manifold or cut it down and route your hose anywhere u need it to go. do not kink it when bending
DO NOT cap off that steam line.
plumb into your radiator or hoses.
u can cap off the heater hoses if not using
Old 10-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Teching In

I'm in the process of doing effectively the same thing with a 5.3L truck motor, except I went F-Body front drive.

I have this same fitting that I'll have to cut or bend. Is this a pressure fitting? Which side of the water pump should I plumb this to? Also, just for clarification, the top of the water pump is pressure out to radiator, bottom where the thermostat is is return?
Old 10-31-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The 1/4" steam vent fitting is pressurized. I dont think it matters where it's plumbed to. I'm guessing the only time it's needed would be at a very hot shutoff, where steam could form in the heads without water circulating.
Correct on the water pump in/out orientation.
Originally Posted by endrnet
I'm in the process of doing effectively the same thing with a 5.3L truck motor, except I went F-Body front drive.

I have this same fitting that I'll have to cut or bend. Is this a pressure fitting? Which side of the water pump should I plumb this to? Also, just for clarification, the top of the water pump is pressure out to radiator, bottom where the thermostat is is return?

Quick Reply: putting a ls1 intake on a 5.3 need help with something