Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual tranny options for LSx

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual tranny options for LSx

Not including the t56, mainly talking about a 4 speed, or a TKO.
Im still quite the newb when it comes to these motors.

I think going carbed with the 6010 box would make this easier, but what are my options if i stay fuel injected? The fact that these come with computer controlled transmissions, and me trying to stick with an old school manual just starts to get confusing.

If i stayed with fuel injection, i'd need a special bellhousing and what else?
If i go carbed/6010 box, then that really opens my transmission options, of coarse with a special bellhousing also, right?
Old 11-12-2009, 05:38 AM
TECH Regular

You don't need a special bellhousing, normal sbc stuff bolts right up. Theres extended pilot bearings that you need to run but otherwise most of the stuff is pretty straight forward. Don't know why people make it such a black magic thing, LSX bellhousings have one more bolt and a bolt deleted from sbc if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a TKO and carb, MSD 6012 box though since I have an LS2.

Keisler engineering makes packages for installing TKO's and Muncie transmissions to the LS motors. Like said above, pretty straight forward. Keisler's bell is just a recreation of an old Chevy unit. I run an LS7 clutch, flywheel and pilot bearing with Keisler's bell and hydraulic throw out bearing. But you can go manual clutch linkage if you want.

http://www.keislerauto.com/gm/gm-par...-products.html

Lakewood and McLeod make scatter proof bells to bolt the old Muncie style transmissions to LS motors.

Fuel injection should be a non-issue. Lots of FI motors with manual transmissions, doesn't matter if it is a T56 or muncie unit.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm running a 6 speed Richmond trans behind an LQ9. The BBC 621 style bell housing (168 tooth) will bolt up. Keisler makes one with the additional top bolt hole. Any 26 spline input shaft trans for GM will bolt to it (Muncie, T10, TKO, Richmond) and will work with the LS1 flywheel/clutch. I used the LS7 pilot bearing.
Old 11-12-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Regular

I'm using a v8 t5 out of a 91 camaro I got for $300, dont need to spend much. No special bellhousing or anything, and the input shaft is 26 spline. My truck isn't heavy and doesn't hook so I shouldn't have a problem.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Wow, i though there was alot more to it.
I thought the PCM had something to do with it also, which is why i was leaning more toward carbed.

So for example, i could get a running LSx motor with a 4L60E (or whatever auto) bolt my 4 speed up to (along with the pilot bearing) and it would be perfectly good?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yep, it will work fine. If you're not running VSS, have it programmed out.
Exception is the 99 and 00 6.0 LQ truck motors. They have a different length crankshaft that wont work with a flywheel.
To get the throwout arm/bearing geometry correct, you may need a longer bearing.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrisonTX
Wow, i though there was alot more to it.
I thought the PCM had something to do with it also, which is why i was leaning more toward carbed.

So for example, i could get a running LSx motor with a 4L60E (or whatever auto) bolt my 4 speed up to (along with the pilot bearing) and it would be perfectly good?
My signature has a link to my GTO build thread. I am using a Richmond (Muncie, T10, TKO transmissions will fit the same) with my L92.

Andrew
Old 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM
Teching In

with these options . where will it postion the actual gear stick within car compared to t56

Quick Reply: Manual tranny options for LSx