Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gm part numbers????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default gm part numbers????

does anyone know how to look up gm part numbers?? i want to buy soemthing but dont know the part number and cant figure out how to find the number.

scoggin dickey is always cheaper than my local dealer but you need to know the part number to find any small stuff on their website. i want to buy a throttle cable for my 99 sierra (5.3 ls) but for the life of me can't figure out the part number.

this has bugged me in the past with stuff for my mustang but i have always found the gm part number for that stuff on here.....

speaking of my sierra.... im thinking about upgrading to the 6.0 . i know everything will bolt up, but will the stock 5.3 computer and harness hook up to the 6.0? i know i will have to flash the pcm with the 6.0 program, im just wondering what else i have to change wiring wise.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haress is exctly the same,,just swap it and tune it,,might get away with not tunig it,,but for beter mpg and performance tune it..

i need to figure out how to get part number's too,,i need to get some parts
Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

Call local dealer get price and part number, look up part online and buy.

People did that all the time when I worked at a GM dealer last year. Or try haggling the GM guys. I always was willing to knock off a couple bucks when I could see something was crazy expensive. When customers would bring in print outs from gmpartsdirect.com and the like I'd match those. (even though they're only 5-7% above cost)
Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not have it on hand....but looks like 28.42 is the website cost on it. Take a few days to come in. You can call us, our website is pretty and all but we can help you either through email, PM, or phone.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by iansane
Call local dealer get price and part number, look up part online and buy.

People did that all the time when I worked at a GM dealer last year. Or try haggling the GM guys. I always was willing to knock off a couple bucks when I could see something was crazy expensive. When customers would bring in print outs from gmpartsdirect.com and the like I'd match those. (even though they're only 5-7% above cost)
i know i could call um for one part number. i just wish there was a way you could look up part numbers w/out having to call a dealer so you could shop around and what not. i just dont want to call them about every little part when i could look it up myself. in this case i only needed one part number but what about if your thinking about doing soemthing and you need like 5 part numbers? i dont want to call a dealer getting them to look up a bunch of numbers just for me to shop around and then come back with a lower price.

like now one of the guys from scoggin was nice enough to look something up and now it turns out i dont think i need it so he wasted his time and i feel like a jerk. turns out i think the pivot point for the pedal is binding and i may be able to just lube it with some graphite or lithium or something..... and the guy may not think im jerk cuz i dont need the part now, i just end up feeling like im wasting someones time. and now im wondering how much a new pedal is cuz i may not be able to lube it and i may think about the junk yard.

since you worked at a dealer, is there any way for someone who is not a dealer to be able to look up a factory part number on their own?

Last edited by leonpiper69; 01-14-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

gm used to make parts books. but alas that time is gone. some of the online repair sites like alldatadiy have flag hours and part numbers for quite a few things. 16.95 for 1 year. i use those alot. and trust me you do not waste any of my time. THIS is what I am paid to do. The problem is have is with the 9 page lists, they get a little hard to do sometimes lol.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

i know the cable isnt sticking cuz i opened the throttle by hand (at the throttle body) and moved the cable back and forth, and its smoooooooth. but my brother just called me and told me to clean the throttle body so i'll try that tomorow.

thanks for the price though john
Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

i tried calling my local gm dealer, he said i have to have vin number.. no 1 ever ask for that before.. i am looking for a factory harness for ly6,, swapin it in chevelle.. he was no help..
Old 01-14-2010, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

max price is 321.42. There are 6 diff harnesses for the LY6 alone.

This is the main problem. Most of the dealerships do not have a separate front and back counter. Then the ones that do, do not have an also separate GM/GMPP/Aftermarket division.

Alot of dealerships have just a few guys that work phones and back counter at the same time. The only way they know parts is sometimes when the PN is given, or when the tech comes and points it out. They do not (alot of the time) know engine codes, trans codes or what 1LE means.

The VIN number in this case narrows it down alot. The problem is for ONE single change of any part, it is a different part number and the GM parts lookup does not have a "this is what is different" button on it. The problem is, even with the VIN number, there are variances in what is put on, leading to RPO codes, but some of those codes mean nothing, some are vague, some have no desc, and some do not matter anyway or the part will not have all the RPO listings you need. Give me a VIN from a Duramax engine and ill guarantee you it will STILL show 3 different head gaskets. You have to physically pull it apart first then check the stamping on it, then call it in.

It is alot harder than one would imagine. IF you can tell me what options your LY6 has, i can narrow it down to 1 or 2 specific part numbers. Sometimes year model does make a difference as well.

Sorry for the novel.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by John@Scoggin
max price is 321.42. There are 6 diff harnesses for the LY6 alone.

This is the main problem. Most of the dealerships do not have a separate front and back counter. Then the ones that do, do not have an also separate GM/GMPP/Aftermarket division.

Alot of dealerships have just a few guys that work phones and back counter at the same time. The only way they know parts is sometimes when the PN is given, or when the tech comes and points it out. They do not (alot of the time) know engine codes, trans codes or what 1LE means.

The VIN number in this case narrows it down alot. The problem is for ONE single change of any part, it is a different part number and the GM parts lookup does not have a "this is what is different" button on it. The problem is, even with the VIN number, there are variances in what is put on, leading to RPO codes, but some of those codes mean nothing, some are vague, some have no desc, and some do not matter anyway or the part will not have all the RPO listings you need. Give me a VIN from a Duramax engine and ill guarantee you it will STILL show 3 different head gaskets. You have to physically pull it apart first then check the stamping on it, then call it in.

It is alot harder than one would imagine. IF you can tell me what options your LY6 has, i can narrow it down to 1 or 2 specific part numbers. Sometimes year model does make a difference as well.

Sorry for the novel.
Thanks a ton for the info.

You are the first inside a dealership to say or put in writing what I have experienced and assumed for a LONG time. I'm usually the guy trying to mate the automotive equivalent of zebras and lions with cheetahs and the parts guy always looks at me like I am nuts. I have a GMPP dealer close and they are better than any old dealership but still easily baffled so I try to research as much as possible. Having said this, I don't even want to discuss my experiences and the funny looks I get with non GM dealerships and their parts departments.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

well i have a 99 4l80e, wich will not work with the tcm i dont think,,, so it will be full manul valve body.. so i would think any ly6 harness will work.. i was looking it up for a full size van.. but what ever is cheapest
Old 01-14-2010, 06:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The problem in that line is "any". Any COULD, but let me see if i can find out the difference to make sure it will. It will be tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

gm used to make parts books. but alas that time is gone. some of the online repair sites like alldatadiy have flag hours and part numbers for quite a few things. 16.95 for 1 year. i use those alot. and trust me you do not waste any of my time. THIS is what I am paid to do. The problem is have is with the 9 page lists, they get a little hard to do sometimes lol.

John, you left yourself wide open. Almost hate to do it, but I and another guy here are looking for 2 part numbers/prices. The valley cover gasket (seal) and DOD tower O-rings for a non-DOD LS-3 (flat cover).

Thanks, bro!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

www.compnine.com

Very good website for finding part numbers
Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by S10xGN
John, you left yourself wide open. Almost hate to do it, but I and another guy here are looking for 2 part numbers/prices. The valley cover gasket (seal) and DOD tower O-rings for a non-DOD LS-3 (flat cover).

Thanks, bro!
I was actually looking for those for you the other day, but GM decided to mess with the PNs for the o rings and i was trying to get that cleared out. Sometimes i run out of time at work, and while i am on the forums at home checking things and working again, i do not have access to my computer remotely due to system updates etc so i have to wait for the next day. Sometimes i forget to go back to where i started from, so it can take an extra day or so. I have the pn for the gasket, but let me try to find out the info on the rings.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The o rings for that valley plate are on back order. There is no ETA as to when they will be in. That is JUST the o ring. Here is the strange part. They come with the valley plate assembly (and so does the gasket and all the bolts) but I know you had said that you(or your friend) had the valley plate already. That is the only way, at the moment, that the o rings are available.

The entire assy is $97 + sh.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.compnine.com/index.php?u=...03&grouptype=B

This should help
Old 01-15-2010, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The o rings for that valley plate are on back order. There is no ETA as to when they will be in. That is JUST the o ring. Here is the strange part. They come with the valley plate assembly (and so does the gasket and all the bolts) but I know you had said that you(or your friend) had the valley plate already. That is the only way, at the moment, that the o rings are available.

The entire assy is $97 + sh.
Thanks John, it's looking more and more like they don't sell just the gasket (I planned on plugging my towers)...

And thanks DynoDan for the "compnine" link!
Old 01-17-2010, 02:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

we do sell just the perimeter gasket, just not the o rings (right now due to backorder or some part problem). the gaskets are easy to get, they range about $20 or so.

Quick Reply: gm part numbers????