Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring harness help; multiple components through one fuse

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring harness help; multiple components through one fuse

A couple quick questions the smart fellas out there should have no problem with!

I'm currently making a wiring diagram for my conversion (Which I'll post once I'm done) and have ran into a couple things I'm not positive on.

The 'Current Performance Wiring' fuse block I'm using shows two 15 amp fuses to power the injectors and coils. Is there a preferred way to wire this up?

What I mean is should all the injectors be on one fuse and all the coils on the other? Or should I run one side of the engines electrical (injectors 1,3,5,7 and coils 1,3,5,7) off one fuse and the other side of the engine off the other fuse?

My other question is on the actual wiring itself. Do most people splice the wires into one wire or run all the wires all the way to the fuse? I prefer them to all run to the fuse, but then I'd have to go buy new connectors.

What I want is a factory looking wiring harness once I'm complete. Factory diagrams don't show how the wires are actually ran.

Also, another quick question. For the sensors that need a ground, is it best to run the wiring all to one ground, or just run a short ground wire to the chassis from the sensor? Again, the clean look I'm going after says to run them all to somewhere out of sight. It still needs to be clean though, I'll know its there!

Thanks!

Alex N
Old 02-23-2010, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxmon
...My other question is on the actual wiring itself. Do most people splice the wires into one wire or run all the wires all the way to the fuse? I prefer them to all run to the fuse, but then I'd have to go buy new connectors...

Thanks!

Alex N
Most of the harnesses I've dissected had numerous splices on common wires, GM's mostly pink (key on 12v+) and black (ground). The splice will be as close as possible to the shortest route from the splice to the individual accessories.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't run all of the coils and injectors off one fuse. Seperate then like the factory does. It will be easier to chase an electrical problem, if you should ever have one.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

i just got done doing a stand alone harness for our 54 build and i wired the pass inj. 15a, the pass coils 15a then the drivers side the same 15 for coils and 15 for inj.

we just recently started the engine for the break in and everything worked!

i created a diagram of my wiring job if you would like to see it
Old 02-24-2010, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for letting me know that the factory splices the wires in too! I had cut out a fuel injector harness out of a V8 olds for my swap and noticed they ran all the wires out, so I had just figured thats how it ran the entire way.

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Don't run all of the coils and injectors off one fuse. Seperate then like the factory does. It will be easier to chase an electrical problem, if you should ever have one.
Looking at the table for my fuse block, I think the best I might be able to do is four fuses. One for each bank of each system. If I can I'll go that route. I'm pretty sure thats how GM does it, if thats what you meant. Like beautie below.

Originally Posted by beautie
i just got done doing a stand alone harness for our 54 build and i wired the pass inj. 15a, the pass coils 15a then the drivers side the same 15 for coils and 15 for inj.

we just recently started the engine for the break in and everything worked!

i created a diagram of my wiring job if you would like to see it
Yeah I would love to see your diagram, the more diagrams floating around the better!

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Alex N
Old 02-24-2010, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

http://www.lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

This has everything to what fuse block to use, the fuses to use, and the relays you will need for a stand alone harness. Very helpful.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxmon
What I mean is should all the injectors be on one fuse and all the coils on the other?
Seperate them into 3 different circuits..this is how it is from the Factory..

Injectors 1, 3, 5, 7 = Injector Bank 1
Injectors 2, 4, 6, 8 = Injector Bank 2
Coils are on one Fuse = Ignition
Old 02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On an f-body harness, the odd coils and injectors will be on one 15 amp fuse and the even will be on one 15 amp fuse. They didn't seperate them onto different fuses. The just seperated the odd and even sides.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
11 Second Club

I had a seperate wire for Coils..maybe I traced it wrong, but the Fuses I had were Injectors (Bank 1&2) Ignition, PCM Ignition.. I always thought the Ignition one was Coils..I'll have to find a Schematic.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You traced it wrong, the banks are fused together

http://www.lt1swap.com/pictures/3_ign_coils_bank1.gif
http://www.lt1swap.com/pictures/8_fuel_injectors.gif
Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

I see.. so what is the Ignition Fuse for..lol
Old 02-24-2010, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

just as a disclaimer this is just a diagram i did for myself to remember what is going where not really for a how to, it doesnt show grounds for example but maybe it will help somebody. to maybe answer a future question this is a turbo build and we are running dual fuel pumps thats why there are two wires coming out of the fuel tank

[IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: Wiring harness help; multiple components through one fuse