Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EFI harness & ECM recomedations

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI harness & ECM recomedations

Hello I've been lurking around here for months but still need some clarification. I am building an off road only "truggy", basically truck running gear narrowed under a jeep body built for high speed running on motorcross tracks. Actually built lowered. It is opposite of rockcrawling. I am in the middle of building an iron block ls2 6.0. "03 lq4 block, ls2 rotating assembly and stock 243 heads. I will keep the stock efi intake manifold, but switch to cable throttle (yes, I have researched this and, yes I want cable throttle). I want to max out the breathing ability of the stock heads / manifold combo, and don't care about low end driveability. (stock parts are cheaper to replace when I crash) A turbo 350 tranny and high stall, np208 transfer case and 4.11 gears, @ 31-32" tires. Oh yeah, looking at Lunati voodoo 60514 cam- rpm 2200-6800 rpm range, LSA:113, Lift: .584, Dur.@.050:227in--233ex.

QUESTIONS: -- Whether I build my own or go with a sponsors ECM / Harness, are some computers better with aftermarket cams? Someday I would like the ability to run better heads/manifold and cam and want to be able to support it. I believe I have to use a gen3 computer because I want cable throttle?

-- Pro's and Con's to running gen3 to gen 4 sensor / ECM setup? I have parts to turn this engine to either a gen3 or gen4 (sensors, reluctor, etc.)

-- are some ECM and connectors more sealed to dust and weather?

-- Should I keep stock knock sensors and how well do they handle bigger cams...i.e. sorting 'knock' from engine "noise"

--I would like to try and make my own stripped down harness and get a "mail order" tune for this engine set up. I would love to by a set up, but there is no better way to learn than by doing. Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated. I know there are threads here on this .

-----------any suggestions / comments? Thanks
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badjonny
Hello I've been lurking around here for months but still need some clarification. I am building an off road only "truggy", basically truck running gear narrowed under a jeep body built for high speed running on motorcross tracks. Actually built lowered. It is opposite of rockcrawling. I am in the middle of building an iron block ls2 6.0. "03 lq4 block, ls2 rotating assembly and stock 243 heads. I will keep the stock efi intake manifold, but switch to cable throttle (yes, I have researched this and, yes I want cable throttle). I want to max out the breathing ability of the stock heads / manifold combo, and don't care about low end driveability. (stock parts are cheaper to replace when I crash) A turbo 350 tranny and high stall, np208 transfer case and 4.11 gears, @ 31-32" tires. Oh yeah, looking at Lunati voodoo 60514 cam- rpm 2200-6800 rpm range, LSA:113, Lift: .584, Dur.@.050:227in--233ex.

QUESTIONS: -- Whether I build my own or go with a sponsors ECM / Harness, are some computers better with aftermarket cams? Someday I would like the ability to run better heads/manifold and cam and want to be able to support it. I believe I have to use a gen3 computer because I want cable throttle?

-- Pro's and Con's to running gen3 to gen 4 sensor / ECM setup? I have parts to turn this engine to either a gen3 or gen4 (sensors, reluctor, etc.)

-- are some ECM and connectors more sealed to dust and weather?

-- Should I keep stock knock sensors and how well do they handle bigger cams...i.e. sorting 'knock' from engine "noise"

--I would like to try and make my own stripped down harness and get a "mail order" tune for this engine set up. I would love to by a set up, but there is no better way to learn than by doing. Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated. I know there are threads here on this .

-----------any suggestions / comments? Thanks
If you have made up your mind to go with cable throttle then Gen III LS1 PCM & knock sensors it is. Gen IV E40 [etc] ECM wont run a cable throttle.

Nothing wrong with fly by wire
Old 03-08-2010, 03:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

^^Same thing I was thinking..get a Harness and wire it as a Gen III, then get a Gen III PCM and run it.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Default EFI / ECM....cable throttle

Thanks for the replies. I know that the throttle issue has been beat to death, but I have not found any definate answers as to if electronic throttle can be "tuned". I know cable / linkage rod throttle is instantanious. I admit I have not driven a 'vette or GTO, but the GMPP system that my friend drove was "slightly lagging". I drive electronic throttles at work (Ford and GM vans/trucks) and they have a terrible throttle lag. If I knew for sure that I could get instant response from a electronic throttle, I would rethink my setup. Are some ECM's from different applications more responsive than others? Can this be Tuned? Thanks....this site is a great help and all responses are appreciated.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Isn't there a company that makes a module to "speed up" the throttle response and eliminate the lag associated with drive by wire? I may need one too, the owner of the FJ I am building (also using an LQ4 with drive by wire) is slightly concerned about that...
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can speed up the throttle stepper motor with any of the available tuning softwares.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default Dbw

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
you can speed up the throttle stepper motor with any of the available tuning softwares.
Really......?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by badjonny
Thanks for the replies. I know that the throttle issue has been beat to death, but I have not found any definate answers as to if electronic throttle can be "tuned". I know cable / linkage rod throttle is instantanious. I admit I have not driven a 'vette or GTO, but the GMPP system that my friend drove was "slightly lagging". I drive electronic throttles at work (Ford and GM vans/trucks) and they have a terrible throttle lag. If I knew for sure that I could get instant response from a electronic throttle, I would rethink my setup. Are some ECM's from different applications more responsive than others? Can this be Tuned? Thanks....this site is a great help and all responses are appreciated.
There are a number of areas where throttle open and close rate based on pedal rate and also throttle position in relation to pedal position.

Any time that it feels like there is a lag there it is simply because the factory has set the throttle up like this or has torque management applied to soften power application: "tip in torque management".

Running a pedal and electronic throttle body on the bench has shown that there is nothing in it without resorting to high speed cameras to measure the difference. At least in late model stuff it is all but instant.

The GMPP controllers are a little different from regular production cars in that they have a very slow close rate and maybe the open rate is a little slower as well. Slow close rate is often used to tailor emissions so odd that GMPP set it up like this but must be some reason.

Yes some tuning software gives access to the rate tables but adjust these at your peril. The throttle of course is a critical safety area and GM does not give much latitude to move outside stock and will go to limp mode if the envelope is exceeded and maybe even permanently shut down the controller because it considers it is in a "catastrophic failure" zone.

Maybe Toyota needs to take a look at this area closely .
Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Default controller ecm

Thanks for your answers. So if I decide to go with electronic throttle it sounds like I should make sure the ecm/58x/harness is from a later model performance car. I have not made my desicion yet...I need to look into cable/link rod fitment for cable throttle. My other question is .....I am looking at the lunati voodoo cams. 60514......DUR @.050 227 in.-233 ex. .584 lift. I want a "mail order" tune. Is it typical to keep your knock sensors when using an aftermarket cam? Does the lumpier harmonics send false signals? Thanks for your answers guys....Jon from Washington State

Quick Reply: EFI harness & ECM recomedations