Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator hoses that fit chevelle radiator

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator hoses that fit chevelle radiator

1968 chevelle. LY6 (l92 style water pump) does anyone know a set of radiator hoses that will fit? i need upper and lower

Last edited by IHEARTLS1; 04-06-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Measure the openings (OD) and take a hanger and bend them around to see the shape needed, then look here and get as close to what you need as you can.

http://www.mvreader.com/multiview/da...bgDimHoses=1&l

You can also get a small piece of the hose ( 3" or so) and use a SS tube for the curves and or straight parts, seen that before.

Hope this help dude!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to Autozone and get either part# XL-183 or XL-185. Both are about $9 each........ I have a 69 Chevelle... I have the XL-183 on but you will have to trim it at the waterpump...... These will work if you are using a water pump with the pump spout facing forward....... If the spout is facing up toward the passenger side the XL-183 you prob will not have to cut....

The lower hose I used 17" flex hose(you could get away with 18")

My radiator is Summit's 80457 for a big block Chevy....I used this when I had my BBC......

The water pump for the upper hose was around(these are ballpark) 1 1/4(pump) and 1 1/2(radiator)

For the flex hose I got it 1 1/2 on each end(pump/radiator)
Old 04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I forget what combination I used for the upper, but I think it was pertty much stock ones that I used on both the bottom and top from a 98 Camaro.. that top might not work for you Truck water pump.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Launching!

this is the water pump i have:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-09...item3354ea23f0

will the hoses you are referring to work with that pump?
Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to say it but trial and error.... I measure it first, then took the old hose of the GTO and went to Autozone, asked the guy if I could size em up and pulled and matched as I walked down the racks..... Until I found one, then after I found em, I came back here and Thunderstruck and had already found the XL-185.....lol But I guess I can state claim to the XL 183.....

If they don't work take em back, I had to take 2 back.... I bought 3-4 of them that I thought would fit....
Old 04-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
I hate to say it but trial and error.... I measure it first, then took the old hose of the GTO and went to Autozone, asked the guy if I could size em up and pulled and matched as I walked down the racks..... Until I found one, then after I found em, I came back here and Thunderstruck and had already found the XL-185.....lol But I guess I can state claim to the XL 183.....

If they don't work take em back, I had to take 2 back.... I bought 3-4 of them that I thought would fit....
i understand the trial and error. i was going to do that anyway. the only reason why i asked on here is because i thought with a few years of people putting these engines in older cars some people would know the exact part number that would fit. it's not hard to find what i need, but i was trying to save time and not have to go back and forth to the parts store.

the problem i have with the hoses you stated is you more than likely don't have the same water pump as me. you probably have the truck one with the curved upper portion, or a car pump. neither of the hoses that work for those situations will work for me.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Launching!

for future reference i just got my lower hose to fit. 2007 cadillac escalade. i trimmed 2-3 inches off the one end and it fits perfect.

now i need to figure something out for the upper.

Quick Reply: radiator hoses that fit chevelle radiator