Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Compressor Compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air Conditioner Compressor Compatibility

Say,

Does anyone know if the air conditioner compressor from a 1998 camaro LS1 is compatible with the vintage air systems?

Just made a quick call to VA, and they said their systems are not compatible with variable displacement compressors, but the person I talked to didn't know what type of compressor was on the 98 LS1.

Any info, anyone?

Thanks!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, they are not. I had to buy a new one along with a special mounting bracket.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We dont need no stinkin air conditioners!!

I have heard of people using the entire fbody AC system though.. the vintage system is a cleaner install though.
Old 01-08-2004, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Mark IXZD 150, whats that bracket your talking about and where can i buy it?
Old 01-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

I've been involved in several installs utilizing LS-1 compressors and using the rest of Vintage Air's components without problem. LT-1's as well. I'm not sure if either are Variable Displacement. However, Variable displacement or not, the Vintage Air system will tell the compressor when to engage based on the evap valve (along with the hi/low pressure switch) plus there is an adjustment dial to tune this value. My feeling is, regardless of the system it's on, the compressor simply engages and disengages based on what the A/C system tells it to do within hi/low pressure values.

This is simply my experience. Don't take my word for it. I would suggest calling Vintage Air back and trying another technician who DOES know what they are talking about. I'd suggest John Wright.

Too many times I've posted questions and gotten the proverbial "blank stare". I suppose receiving conflicting answers is just as bad. Before spending a nut on a new compressor and bracket(s) (chasing the-what other brackets will you have to swap once you do the A/C bracket) I would suggest calling Vintage Air back. As a company they are the most knowledgable but only as good as the individual you talk to.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Vintage Air told me the same thing. Because they want to sell compressors and honor their warranties.

I used their Compac Unit with an my LS1 compressor from a 2000. I had ice cold all last summer(since installed). It works great. Yes it is variable displacement, and combined with their AC systems which use a variable expansion valve, you have the most effecient system available.

Don't let them scare you.
Old 01-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

This is also a concern for me with my ls6 crate engine,I want to be able to rev her without throwing a belt-want to use the stock corvette set-up.Im going to make a few calls this week and see what all the different companies say-I'll keep you guys posted. Ed
Old 01-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Default Good News!

Just got off the phone with John Wright from Vintage Air and he said the factory AC compressor will NOT work with any of there systems-BUT they are working on a lower mount sanderson compressor (similar to the factory set-up used on LS1's)that will mount down low in the factory position and will be tighter to the motor to eliminate any frame clearance issues.Now, Hot Rod Air also makes a bracket to mount a sanderson compressor high up on the pass side-also using the factory GM set-up.For me with the VA set-up I will be able to keep my battery in the stock location on my 57 and rev the **** out of it without having to worry about tossing a belt on my aluminum block.The VA compressor and mount should be out in about 2 months.Ed

Last edited by 57 Bel-air Vette; 01-12-2004 at 04:23 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 01-12-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HotRod68Camaro
Mark IXZD 150, whats that bracket your talking about and where can i buy it?
Performance Automotive 831/394-4403

Talk to Alf.
Old 01-13-2004, 07:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 57 Bel-air Vette
Just got off the phone with John Wright from Vintage Air and he said the factory AC compressor will NOT work with any of there systems-BUT they are working on a lower mount sanderson compressor (similar to the factory set-up used on LS1's)that will mount down low in the factory position and will be tighter to the motor to eliminate any frame clearance issues.Now, Hot Rod Air also makes a bracket to mount a sanderson compressor high up on the pass side-also using the factory GM set-up.For me with the VA set-up I will be able to keep my battery in the stock location on my 57 and rev the **** out of it without having to worry about tossing a belt on my aluminum block.The VA compressor and mount should be out in about 2 months.Ed
Maybe you missed my post? IT DOES WORK WITH THEIR SYSTEM. I HAVE IT RUNNING IN MY CAR WITH NO ISSUES!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Does your compact system fit under the dash,like a universal one that bolts under the dash and can be used on any vehicle? John also SAID that the factory compressor operates at a lower psi (somewhere around 20 psi's and VA systems operate at a higher temp-25psi's and that the factory compressor would run all the time,not cycling on and off like a sanderson one) which would cause the factory one not to LAST. Ed

Last edited by 57 Bel-air Vette; 01-13-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 57 Bel-air Vette
Does your compact system fit under the dash,like a universal one that bolts under the dash and can be used on any vehicle? John also SAID that the factory compressor operates at a lower psi (somewhere around 20 psi's and VA systems operate at a higher temp-25psi's and that the factory compressor would run all the time,not cycling on and off like a sanderson one) which would cause the factory one not to LAST. Ed
Yes, it fits under the dash. It is the latest from them with the servo controlled valves for controlling airflow between floor/top vents.

The LS1 compressor is a V7 (meaning 7 piston variable displacement). It is designed NEVER to cycle unless pressures are too high or too low. There are two types of systems:

TXV = Thermostatic eXpansion Valve

CCOT= Cycling Clutch Orfice Tube

Two different types of systems, both in wide use. The CCOT uses a simple orifice, and cycles the compressor on/off. The Vintage Air unit I have is a TXV type (which changes orifice size based on temp).

The GM V/D compressors shift volume based on inlet pressure. Just like a POA valve, this type of compressor controls the low side pressure. So, when used with a TXV, the suction pressure is controlled, as well as the evaporator inlet flow. Actually a pretty good system.

I have got friends in HVAC and I myself am an engineer. And I approve this message.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Is your compressor sitll working good for you? Sorry to bring up such an old post, but Im starting to look into putting A/C on my car now.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Compressor Compatibility