Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Definitive Fuel system answer - LS3 into 72 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Definitive Fuel system answer - LS3 into 72 Chevelle

Hi everyone - first ever post, so am probably making all the rookie mistakes. currently have a chevelle in pieces about to put back together.

I have a shiny new zero miles LS3 to drop into my 72 Chevelle. have read a pile of stuff about various fuel options - really looking for most simple and easy to put together and mail orderable...I am in Australia, so don't have the junkyard options that the US does.

Have looked at Spectra tanks - what's the general feedback on them and what else will I need to run it.
Also - which regulators/filters and what size line is best?

The LS3 doesn't have a return line either - does this cause any problems with the Spectra option?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I got a Spectra tank for my swap too. But it not in yet so no feedback on that. Sorry.

Get a fuel filter/pressure regulator from a 99-02 corvette. Try local auto parts stores first. Like all of them before dealer. they tend to be about $45.oo at reg. price and alot of store recently had a 40% off sale ( made by same co.) I got two of them for 24.01 each. You can mount it near your tank you can use SUMMIT racing brand twist loc or push-loc (forgot twhat they call it.) fittings and fuel hose. Be sure to get the correct hose. EFI hose to match the fittings. Jegs.com don't have the correct hose , or I cant find it.

You can use these fittings on the one end of the Vett FPR http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640853/ ( fuel feed from tank ) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640863/ ( return fuel back to the 5/16 return line on the spectra tank)

This fitting goes on the other end of the FPR http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640940/and goes to your LS3 fuel rail with another of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640853/

You can obviously use 45* / 90* fittings anywhere. This is my cost effective method. Or you can addapt to hard line or SS teflon line AN hose.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

What are your current and future horse power goals with this build? You should base your fuel tank and supply on the most radical level you think your car will see. If you aren't going much over stock LS3, then just buy the Spectra tank (or Rock Valley) with in-tank fuel pump and use a '99 Corvette fuel filter/regulator with built in return to tank. Do some searching on the Corvette filter/regulator assembly - it's a nice compact package at a decent price.

If you think you may go forced induction in the future, then really take a hard look at the fuel requirements. I recenly ordered a stainless steel custom tank from Ricks Tanks for my '69 Nova that I plan to turbocharge. I will add an external pump (Aeromotive A1000 or Weldon 1100) which should be good for up to 1000 hp.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your looking for other option or a low cost tank, you can try a B-Body (Impala, Caprise, etc 90's ish years). Then use a Walbro 255 pump (I used the Racetronix kit which include a great wiring harness). Then use the GF822 (vette FPR 99+).

but if your looking for high cost and more high teching, yeah.. rock or Rick's tanks.. or you can try the TanksINC conversion kit

Check my build on cardomain for more details.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Regular

Stock LS3 is returnless, with software changes you can make it into return style very easily. You can then run something like the corvette FPR to make it an easy one line solution.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I got a Spectra tank for my swap too. But it not in yet so no feedback on that. Sorry.

Get a fuel filter/pressure regulator from a 99-02 corvette. Try local auto parts stores first. Like all of them before dealer. they tend to be about $45.oo at reg. price and alot of store recently had a 40% off sale ( made by same co.) I got two of them for 24.01 each. You can mount it near your tank you can use SUMMIT racing brand twist loc or push-loc (forgot twhat they call it.) fittings and fuel hose. Be sure to get the correct hose. EFI hose to match the fittings. Jegs.com don't have the correct hose , or I cant find it.

You can use these fittings on the one end of the Vett FPR http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640853/ ( fuel feed from tank ) http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640863/ ( return fuel back to the 5/16 return line on the spectra tank)

This fitting goes on the other end of the FPR http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640940/and goes to your LS3 fuel rail with another of these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640853/

You can obviously use 45* / 90* fittings anywhere. This is my cost effective method. Or you can addapt to hard line or SS teflon line AN hose.
Thanks a million - exactly what I was hoping for - very much appreciated. Will keep an eye on your build as you go along - good luck.
Also will start posting photos from this weekend of mine!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevy406
What are your current and future horse power goals with this build? You should base your fuel tank and supply on the most radical level you think your car will see. If you aren't going much over stock LS3, then just buy the Spectra tank (or Rock Valley) with in-tank fuel pump and use a '99 Corvette fuel filter/regulator with built in return to tank. Do some searching on the Corvette filter/regulator assembly - it's a nice compact package at a decent price.

If you think you may go forced induction in the future, then really take a hard look at the fuel requirements. I recenly ordered a stainless steel custom tank from Ricks Tanks for my '69 Nova that I plan to turbocharge. I will add an external pump (Aeromotive A1000 or Weldon 1100) which should be good for up to 1000 hp.
Thanks for the feedback. really good advice. Whilst I would love some sort of absolutely mental twin turbo or blown combo, I'm probably 2-3 years away from seriously considering the money for that on top of all the cash I've thrown in so far!

Thanks again.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bczee
If your looking for other option or a low cost tank, you can try a B-Body (Impala, Caprise, etc 90's ish years). Then use a Walbro 255 pump (I used the Racetronix kit which include a great wiring harness). Then use the GF822 (vette FPR 99+).

but if your looking for high cost and more high teching, yeah.. rock or Rick's tanks.. or you can try the TanksINC conversion kit

Check my build on cardomain for more details.
Thanks for that -TanksINC wasn't one I'd found yet. Will have a look there as well.

Do you need to mod the B-Body/Tank at all or is it bolt in?
Old 05-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by themachasy
Stock LS3 is returnless, with software changes you can make it into return style very easily. You can then run something like the corvette FPR to make it an easy one line solution.
Thanks - another great option - Brilliant forum - 4 great answers in 1 day.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Gday Big S,

I'm in Australia too, in Perth, and in the process of completing a Gen IV 6.0 (VE L98) conversion into my '71 Firebird Formula.

When I was planning a lot of the job the AUS/US dollar exchange was not as good as it is now and I didn't want to buy and ship one of the EFI style tanks over as it would have cost a fortune even though this is the simplest solution.

I decided to keep the original tank and setup a system using a pre pump, surge tank and high pressure EFI pump similar to what I ran on some EFI/Turbo race cars I used to be involved in years ago.

First I used a RobbMc Performance 1/2" fuel pickup/sender unit which also eliminates the original pickup sock filter. From here it flows through a 10 micron screen filter and into a Carter 'Gold' pre pump. This feeds a surge tank from EFI Hardware in Melbourne which contains a modified stock GM tank pickup/sender which has an integral submerged EFI pump and a regulator inside. The outlet flows through a 100 micron filter and then tees off, 1 line goes up to the factory 'dead head' (single line) fuel rail and the other line goes back into the regulator within the surge tank. Finally there is an overflow from the surge tank back to the main tank. As this system is all mounted within the trunk, I used braided SS teflon hose as it does not permeate fuel vapours like rubber hose does. I used the Russel fittings as linked to above to adapt from AN to the factory GM fuel lines.

The EFI specific tanks are definately the easier option but I thought I would share another option.

Jarrod
Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jsmechanical
Gday Big S,

I'm in Australia too, in Perth, and in the process of completing a Gen IV 6.0 (VE L98) conversion into my '71 Firebird Formula.

When I was planning a lot of the job the AUS/US dollar exchange was not as good as it is now and I didn't want to buy and ship one of the EFI style tanks over as it would have cost a fortune even though this is the simplest solution.

I decided to keep the original tank and setup a system using a pre pump, surge tank and high pressure EFI pump similar to what I ran on some EFI/Turbo race cars I used to be involved in years ago.

First I used a RobbMc Performance 1/2" fuel pickup/sender unit which also eliminates the original pickup sock filter. From here it flows through a 10 micron screen filter and into a Carter 'Gold' pre pump. This feeds a surge tank from EFI Hardware in Melbourne which contains a modified stock GM tank pickup/sender which has an integral submerged EFI pump and a regulator inside. The outlet flows through a 100 micron filter and then tees off, 1 line goes up to the factory 'dead head' (single line) fuel rail and the other line goes back into the regulator within the surge tank. Finally there is an overflow from the surge tank back to the main tank. As this system is all mounted within the trunk, I used braided SS teflon hose as it does not permeate fuel vapours like rubber hose does. I used the Russel fittings as linked to above to adapt from AN to the factory GM fuel lines.

The EFI specific tanks are definately the easier option but I thought I would share another option.

Jarrod
Thanks Jarrod - killer feedback again. Kind of wish I was that cluey....I think I will go to a Spectra tank, the dollar is so strong I'd be mad not to stock up.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have question about all this. In the interest of saving time I went ahead and picked up a spectra tank and am using a truck intake so won't need a regulator. Does anyone know what connectors I need? I've been reading and searching but trying to piece together one complete answer out of various bits here and there has left me nowhere really. This entire aspect of the build is foreign to me. I'm guessing I'd need 3/8 line going up and 5/16 coming back? Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Retro...Q5fAccessories
I'm guessing flexible line from the rails into solid lines to the tank?
thanks for any advice.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can afford a brand new ls3 just buy a full aftermarket fuel system. Rails, lines, regulator, pump. That way you can easily make it a return system, control your fuel pressure manually and your good to go.

If someone already said this sorry for the repeat, im at work and didn't have time to read the whole thread, just wanted to throw out an idea.

Quick Reply: Definitive Fuel system answer - LS3 into 72 Chevelle