Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cannot get msd 6010 to connect with computer

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot get msd 6010 to connect with computer

I am trying to tune my msd 6010 box on my car and can't get it to connect. My computer did not have a port for the msd cable to plug into so I bought a 9pin to usb adapter. I have plugged it into every usb port and it still will not connect. It does not show any signs or changes. I turn the key on and nothing happens. I installed the driver for the adapter. if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it. The car is an 84 cutlass with a carbed 4.8. If you need any more info I can help.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Search the msd web site. I found the answer to the same problem, but it took some looking. Some USB/serial adapters are set up so one of the pins will supply 5 volts, apparently because some equipment need it. The 6010 doesn't need it and that's why it won't connect.You will have to remove/break off one pin in your adapter. I think it was pin 9, but I can't remember for sure. I will look at my adapter tomorrow to see what pin I had to remove. After removing the correct one, you'll connect without any problems.

Last edited by LS1MCSS; 07-24-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Before you break anything, find your "Device Manager" (hardware tree) in Windows. For XP, you right-click on "My Computer", select "Properties", click the tab "Hardware", then click "Device Manager". Scroll down to "Ports (COM & LPT)" and see what port your USB adapter is connecting to (you might need to enable "Show Hidden Devices" under the "View" menu). Once you know which port is being used, go into the MSD software and select that port. Be aware that you cannot connect to any port if the MSD is not powered up!
Old 07-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

i could rite on the msd box,but could not read real time data.

If my memory is ok, all I did was to remove the 9pin on the serial cablr, that one is the power ine that makes the adaptor go nuts.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by miguelc
i could rite on the msd box,but could not read real time data.

If my memory is ok, all I did was to remove the 9pin on the serial cablr, that one is the power ine that makes the adaptor go nuts.
I think pin 9 was the correct one for me too. It took a lot of searching to find the solution. You can't select the correct COM port until after you remove the pin, either.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the helpful information I will see how it goes the next time I can work on the car.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had ALOT OF GREIF with this too, but in the end, I found that everytime I want to use the laptop to usb adapter, I have to reboot the laptop WITH THE ADAPTER PLUGGED IN. Now I have no trouble connecting.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bringing this back up for others , I purchased a 6010 controller for an lq4 , try to map a curve , could not connect , bought an usb to com port adapter as newer computers dont have com ports anymore , still no connect , cut the number 9 pin as suggested above , still no connect , looked at 6 or 7 old computers laying around here and found one with a spare com port , bingo finally connected , reminder here the 6010 must be powered

Quick Reply: Cannot get msd 6010 to connect with computer