Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lookin for oilpan that clears crossmember on my g-body....please help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lookin for oilpan that clears crossmember on my g-body....please help...

I found hundreds of oilpans but none say that they clear the crossmember...tried retrolsx ,moroso,etc who has one that clears....
Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on which mounts you're using, but several pans will work. The Moroso will work, the F-body will work. Some people even modify the truck pan. Be sure to check out the G-body thread if you haven't already.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have heard and seen many people use the CTS-V pan with good results. Can't clear up which P/N they used though
Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really depends on which mounts you are using. BRP designs their kit to work with the truck oil pan, but they set the engine too far forward for my liking. I am currently doing a G body install with a F body LS1 using the stock mounts with the Gen I SBC shells (the parts that normally bolt to the engine). I will have to notch the frame on the passenger side to clear the A/C compressor but the pan clears perfectly.

Re'
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you looked into the GM hot rod pan? For $150 you cant go wrong. Works great in my nova with great ground clearance. Shouldnt be a problem in a g-body.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 08-02-2010, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by juced211s
Have you looked into the GM hot rod pan? For $150 you cant go wrong. Works great in my nova with great ground clearance. Shouldnt be a problem in a g-body.
If you can find one. It's just really a Hummer H3 pan. I have one in my car and other than being just a tad lower than the crossmember it fits great.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thats my hole issue my cutlass has airbags and when lowered the crossmember is about 2inches off the street.So not even the pan with the smallest overhang can be used.I need a pan with €€€NO OVERHANG WHAT SO EVER€€€ thanks for all the advise but i have looked at alot of pans and none can give me a stright answer on no overhang AT ALL!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Thats my hole issue my cutlass has airbags and when lowered the crossmember is about 2inches off the street.So not even the pan with the smallest overhang can be used.I need a pan with €€€NO OVERHANG WHAT SO EVER€€€ thanks for all the advise but i have looked at alot of pans and none can give me a stright answer on no overhang AT ALL!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 AM
Staging Lane

I used the retrolsx pan on my 76 amc pacer.I tried the f body pan,bottom base to long hit the crossmember.Tried the hummer pan ,bottom base as short as possible and still have room for the pickup but it still hung a little low. The retrolsx pan is shallow like the f body but the bottom base is short like the hummer pan, the best of both worlds.The retrolsx pan holds a little less oil but I dont see that being a problem unless your road racing.I plan on using the retrolsx in my next build a 1986 pontiac 2+2 g body.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Reason I prefer the GM stuff over the aftermarket is that it is die cast as opposed to fabricated. Die Cast wont stress relieve like fabricated does after it is removed from the jig and therefore much less likely to leak. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, if you need it to be even with the crossmember you may have to take a stock pan and have it modified.

Jon

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 08-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Staging Lane

The retrolsx pan is cast also .
Old 08-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 86 g-body
Dual Exhaust will probably be the next challenge to keep from the ground at that height..

Plus... At 2 inches off the street.. you better have roads like glass
Old 08-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Launching!

For an application like yours on bags, you will probably have to do some custom work on whatever pan you choose...depending on which mounts you are running. The Hummer pan would be a good one to start with. Any local welding shop should be able to cut the pan and shorten it if needed.

Originally Posted by 86 g-body
Old 08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I notched the cross member and used the F-Body pan with Edlebrock motor plates and Moroso solid mounts. The pan's bottom is at least an inch above the cross member. I notched the cross member because I was going to use a different setup which did not line up properly on the frame. The above setup may not have to have the front cross member notched but it will be close.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Default LS Oil Pan

86 G body, I am also doing a swap into my 86 Monte Carlo SS but not bagged (yet maybe). For oil pans I went the GM muscle car pan swap route. $149 through Pace Performance. PN# 19212593
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=245308

For a shallower pan the F body pan is a great option. Also available from Pace. PN# PAC-8771 $309
http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...&ProdID=281641

I have the BRP mounts and they are sure to work fine but I saw the Holley El Camino Verde swap on the Hot Rod Power Tour. Very nice solid clean mounts that use the original clam shell frame side mounts. Since my car has poly inserts in the frame mounts and are already bolted in I am going to wait for the release of the upper mounts by Holley. They used a GM EROD LS3 crate motor but I can't find which pan it is or if Holley changed it later.
http://www.holley.com/ProjectCars/CarParts.asp?Part=1

As for notching the frame for the AC. That will work if you want to use a variable compressor that is not designed to run with the older systems. I am going to go the route that Holley chose. They are using an R4 compressor mounted up top on the passenger side. This worked great with Corvette accessories on thier car and the kit is originally designed for F body accessory drives (cheaper). The kit is made by F Body Motorsports for $299.
http://www.youngsfbody.com/inc/sdetail/12165

I'm not far enough along to tell you an answer for 120% for sure but these are the best choices I have found. Unless you are going to drive a lot with the bags at the lowest level and can drag the crossmember (which I doubt) I don't think a 2 inch underhang is going to be a problem. I think most people drive thier cars at a rasied height mostly anyway then let them down later when parked. But it is all personal choice, good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

don't worry about notching the crossmember an f body pan should work fine. just because it hits the pan does not mean you have to get crazy with searching for the perfect pan.just make it fit.
Name:  HPIM0809.jpg
Views: 2822
Size:  124.0 KBdon't be afraid to cut stuff up!
Old 08-03-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fbody pan will not fit unless either the pan or the x-member is modified. As stated previously, you're gonna need to modify any pan due to the vehicles slammed ride height. With that being said, your best bet is to find a 5.3 or 6.0 truck pan off Ebay and have it modified so that the amount of oil the engine will require wont be compensated by much. Once you modify the pan, the xmember wont need to be touched.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Mines got an fbody pan that was cut, its actually a john b pan with his mounts too. Id use an fbody or cts v pan. Those seem to need less cutting to fit, so your oil capacity isnt changed much either.

Quick Reply: lookin for oilpan that clears crossmember on my g-body....please help...