Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what fuel line would you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default what fuel line would you use?

Since my headers are on backorder, I might as well start on the fuel system. I have the corvette fpr, and will be getting the walbro 255 external pump, and an inline fuel filter.

I have an externally sumped gas tank. Car had aluminum fuel line when it had the bbc, but that is all ripped out, so I have nothing to start with. I keep hearing that braided line gets the gas smell, and you can not run more than 12" if you want to run at the track as it is rubber under the braided steel.

I want something that will not cost an arm and a leg, and not require specialty tools to put ends on, and something that will pass tech inspection.

I will probably run the braided line from the tank to filter since I already have that line, but maybe not......

Also, what is being used to go up to the fuel rail as you need something with some give since the motor vibrates and torques?
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

when we did the ls1 in my friends s10 we got some factory hose ends by cutting them out of old lines and then got new plastic fuel line from oriellys and put the ends in it using a heat gun and they do not leak and we even formed them with the heat gun and it looks nice and factory.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have all braided. Hopefully wont smell, but i already bought it and started cutting it up to run the lines.

Is it true you can run on the strip with braided?

Im not building the car for the track, but want to see what times it would make atleast once and a while.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Bare rubber line is max of 12". Braided you can run the whole car. In the bellhousing area it needs to be sleeved with a piece of steel tubing 16" IIRC. Must keep it out of the cabin and inside the frame rails, beyond that anything within common sense. Check the rule book for details, but for $10, its not a bad idea to buy one and study up

I have braided line from the tank to the rails, no fumes issues
Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Marcello7x
I have all braided. Hopefully wont smell, but i already bought it and started cutting it up to run the lines.

Is it true you can run on the strip with braided?

Im not building the car for the track, but want to see what times it would make atleast once and a while.

Thanks
I thought you could not run more than 12" of rubber, and isn't rubber inside of the braided line?

Not sure, just going off of what I was told as I have never been to the strip and had to pass an inspection.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just looked up my line, its probably more like Teflon. I was told Teflon lined doesn't leak fumes, but the jegs brand i got can't list Teflon since its a trademark. In the description it says its NHRA accepted. Its the jegs branded pro-flow 200 series lines.

Pocket: Thanks that makes sense now!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Thank you guys, I will look into the braided line.

Last edited by billsnogo; 08-31-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you said you didn't want to buy any special tools, but still consider running steel lines. You will need to buy a bender and probably a flaring tool, too... but at least your materials are going to be cheap. You can go to the parts store and buy 3/8" brake line for peanuts.

Bend it with your bender, hang it with some steel or rubber-lined steel hanger and screws. Use a flaring tool to put on ends of your choice. Steel line is tough, and will be less susceptible to getting snagged.

If you don't want to buy a flaring tool, buy your fittings locally and have the fitting store flare your tubing ends. Tell them a little about your project and how cool it is, and they'll probably be happy to help. I did that, and the shop offered me one of their flaring kits to borrow.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

If it leaks fumes/vapor, then it leaks fuel also.
If its air tight, then its water tight and vice verse.

Many a cars race all day long with braided steel lines.
Use this type of clamp to secure it every 18" or so (rules might specify a certain distance)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1882/

As the guy above me suggested, you can run steel line and "rent" a bender and flaring tool from any of the big auto parts stores. It'll be alot cheaper and then you can transition over to the braided steel stuff once you get into the engine compartment.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Launching!

I'll recommend Summit Twist-tite hose and fittings

Ease of install and cost are both nice!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 AM
TECH Resident

I plan on using -8 supply line and a -6 return using an A1000 and mallory fpr. I will be using braided line the whole way. You can run as much true braided line as you need, where you would have a problem is if you were trying to run a braid sleeve over a normal rubber hose like one of those dress up kits.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

If you have a Vette FPR, U also have the filter....
Old 09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Jeg's Pro Flow

[QUOTE=Marcello7x;13806420]Just looked up my line, its probably more like Teflon. I was told Teflon lined doesn't leak fumes, but the jegs brand i got can't list Teflon since its a trademark. In the description it says its NHRA accepted. Its the jegs branded pro-flow 200 series lines.

I bought that same hose and the hose ends from Jeg's and installed it on my project and I also installed a Rick's stainless tank and the corvette FPR I made 2 small lines with reusable fittings from the tank to the FPR and a longer one with reusable fittings from the FPR to the intake manifold, I have alot of experience with hydraulic lines and reuseable fittings so I know everything was done right, I dont think that particular Jeg's line is teflon lined as it was much too flexible and too easy to work with, I had a gas smell in my garage after a few days and I couldnt find a leak anywhere, I started to think it was permeating from the fuel lines, so I removed the entire set of lines and had a local speed shop make me some more out of steel braided teflon lined hose material and crimp on fittings and the smell went away. Much more costly but no more fuel smell.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

I went with Teflon-lined braided for the length of the car.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I need 3 pieces of teflon/braided stainless hose to transition from the hard lines, what is everyone using?

I'm hoping to find them already assembled.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Launching!

So where can you buy the teflon lined stuff?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billsnogo
So where can you buy the teflon lined stuff?
Bought mine from summit. Aeroquip makes it. I know they recommend using their fittings with it too. I don't know if they are different but they mention it is for their Teflon line.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought aluminum hard line was a good bit cheaper than the braided stuff.

I like the factory look so I used copper nickel line. Pricey, but easy to work with.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really surprised this many people run hose vs. hard line.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizeec
I bought that same hose and the hose ends from Jeg's and installed it on my project and I also installed a Rick's stainless tank and the corvette FPR I made 2 small lines with reusable fittings from the tank to the FPR and a longer one with reusable fittings from the FPR to the intake manifold, I have alot of experience with hydraulic lines and reuseable fittings so I know everything was done right, I dont think that particular Jeg's line is teflon lined as it was much too flexible and too easy to work with, I had a gas smell in my garage after a few days and I couldnt find a leak anywhere, I started to think it was permeating from the fuel lines, so I removed the entire set of lines and had a local speed shop make me some more out of steel braided teflon lined hose material and crimp on fittings and the smell went away. Much more costly but no more fuel smell.

Damn Oh well, i don't have a garage, so i guess im going to have a smelly carport.

I'll let you guys know if i get any leaking or fumes. Hopefully i will get my motor started within 2 weeks.

Last edited by Marcello7x; 09-02-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: what fuel line would you use?