Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
The headers should be here the end of this week. The oil pan is promised to be shipped the end of this week, but they have been saying that for 2 months.

Everything else on this build is ready to rock.
Hi, I have been watching your build with great attention as I am putting together parts for a 64vert lark. 5.3 fi. Looks great. What are you using for motor mounts?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by chevelledaddy
Awsome build and sweet ride!!!!!!
Thanx! I see you are starting a conversion of your own. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Just read your whole thread. Great build and I can't wait to see the results after everything comes together.

You asked me in another thread about the ground clearance with BRP's headers which was 1 1/2" to 2" from the crossmember. But they are only maybe 1" below the lower A arm giving them more than enough ground clearance.
I am anxious to see the results too! As soon as I get that Mast oil pan, I will start the swap. I will be reporting on the fit and ground clearance of the Doug's Headers as soon as the swap is underway.

Originally Posted by wilson machine
Hi, I have been watching your build with great attention as I am putting together parts for a 64vert lark. 5.3 fi. Looks great. What are you using for motor mounts?
I have the Edelbrock adapters with factory Chevelle small block frame stands and factory motor mounts. Here is a link to the complete build parts list in post #13:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/14092457-post13.html
Old 01-05-2011, 07:32 PM
Teching In

I have the Edelbrock adapters with factory Chevelle small block frame stands and factory motor mounts. Here is a link to the complete build parts list in post #13:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/14092457-post13.html
That's right on with where I was going, I bought the TD-4592 from Trans-Dapt. I am using the 4l60E trans. I have the fuel problem sorted out real easy, I bought a new tank with pump for 316$ plus shipping. I know the oil pan and clearance in the front and the sump is a big issue. I do not want to mount my engine up high like a lot I have looked at for several reasons. (1) Stock truck Intake,(2) center of gravity, I like carving curvy back roads and I already have the car on 18" late model buick chrome. I was also waiting to see how your oil pan clears, Holley will have there's out about march 30th(THEY SAY 1st QUARTER of 2011).
Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Old School Heavy

That's right on with where I was going, I bought the TD-4592 from Trans-Dapt.
I thought I read some complaints about the trans-dapt motor mount adapters. I think they were complaining about it moving the motor forward or back. I do not remember which vehicle it was on though.

The Doug's Headers that I purchased from CarShop Inc. arrived today. They are really nice looking and appear to be very high quality. They are the simplest header design I have ever owned for a passenger car too. I can't wait to see how they fit.

The 2010 Camaro dipstick tube that was recommended by Mast for use with their oil pan needed a rework to clear the 45 degree spark plug boot that is required to run these headers. The tube had to have some bends straightened a bit and others added. It also need a new attaching bracket fabricated. But the end result is clean and actually made the dipstick a little easier to insert into the tube.

Here are a couple pics of the header installed on the motor & stand. These headers will not have any starter change issues like the Edelbrocks. Ground clearance will not be an issue either. I have added a picture of the headers in relation to the flyweel. They are 1/2" higher than the flywheel! They will be tight to the floor for sure. If they fit in the car as well as others have said, I will be very pleased.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-headers.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-header-starter.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-header-ground-clearance2.jpg  
Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Teching In

I thought I read some complaints about the trans-dapt motor mount adapters. I think they were complaining about it moving the motor forward or back. I do not remember which vehicle it was on though.
They are stock location for this set up and the edelbrocks are 1" back. I keep hearing everyone with early A bodies that the set back position gives trouble with the fire wall and trans fitment. I am considering cutting the pan on my engine as its is very low profile at the front (van pan) and I may be able to have more steeing clearance. I want to see how your goes! thanks
Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 AM
Old School Heavy

They are stock location for this set up and the edelbrocks are 1" back. I keep hearing everyone with early A bodies that the set back position gives trouble with the fire wall and trans fitment. I am considering cutting the pan on my engine as its is very low profile at the front (van pan) and I may be able to have more steeing clearance. I want to see how your goes! thanks
Edelbrocks claims they made sure they maintained the original engine location in their design. I can tell you for sure, there is no room to move the engine back in a 64-65 Skylark without modifying the firewall and the tunnel. You would have to lower the engine which is not possible in an LS swap unless you modify the crossmember. But, I am not too worried because I will have the nose off of the car during the swap and I can fabricate motor mounts if I do not like how the Edelbrock kit looks.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those headers sit up really high........should tuck up in there real nice.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Old School Heavy

I ordered T/A Performance 3" mandrel bent tail pips for the new exhaust today. These are supposed to be the best fitting 3" tailpipes available for A-bodies. And, these have the proper turn downs used on Buicks:

http://www.taperformance.com/proddet...prod=TA_2007BT

I also ordered this 3" stainless X-pipe from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PYE-XVA13/

These are the mufflers I am using:
Dynomax 3 inch Super Turbo Mufflers #17792

Today I ordered an Energy Suspension Body Mount kit #3.4155G.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just stopped in to see how your build was going. plus giving you a bump to the top.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
Old School Heavy

My T/A Performance 3" tailpipes arrived today. I can't wait to see how they fit.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-ta-3inch-tailpipe.jpg  
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Any reason you went with turbo mufflers? from what I have heard they dont flow well.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Any reason you went with turbo mufflers? from what I have heard they dont flow well.
These mufflers are Dynomax SuperTurbo 3" and flow extremely well. They outflow Flowmasters. In the hotrod world these are the go to muffler if you want quiet and performance. Here is a link to them.

http://www.dynomax.com

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=superturbo
Old 01-19-2011, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

O ok, well most of the time when you hear "turbo" muffler it means stay away. They do sound pretty good as I have heard several sets, and they are cheap. But I have always heard they flow like crap. But if these flow well then its all good.

Edit: I see, they give the exhaust a path besides the little louvers. Clever. In traditional turbo mufflers I believe the exhaust was capped and was forced through the slots.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM
Old School Heavy

I hope Mast makes my oil pan soon, I keep buying upgrades while I wait.

Today I ordered a Circle D 245MM 2B stall converter.

http://www.circledspecialties.com/p-...converter.aspx
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And your performance expectations were to trap 110 in the quarter ?????
I'd be shocked if this thing didn't go 115-118 w/ good traction
Very nice build thread......beautiful car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Been watching your Build and have bneen comtemplating doing the same to my 67 special. i think i'd keep the fuel injection though. a switch pitch th400 would be my trans of choice since i dont do much freeway driving. cant wait to see you drop the engine in the car.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

That 67 Special is interesting. In Chevelle speak, (A-body sisterage), It is a "post" car but looks to have the sail panels of a hardtop. Nice looking car. I wonder if the windshield is the same as a Chevell hardtop.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Teching In

i had a 66 chevelle post AKA 300 deluxe. it had a different roof like you mention. the buicks had the same sail panels on post and hardtop. windshield is same for post and hardtop on a buick
Old 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa
And your performance expectations were to trap 110 in the quarter ?????
I'd be shocked if this thing didn't go 115-118 w/ good traction
Very nice build thread......beautiful car!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would like to see that. Mathematically I come up with about 112 to 113. But, my initial goal when I started the project was just to be able to run with the new Camaros and Mustangs which were reported to trap about 110 at the time.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Default frame mounts

I found these on OPG website. They are for a 65 skylark conversion to a SBC engine. I wonder if this would work!

Last edited by bmdiener; 02-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread