Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Digging the red! But black is classic!
Old 03-18-2011, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not a fan of black but it sure looks nice on your Buick, my vote is leave it Henry Fords color.

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I have been thinking about colors ever since I purchased this car last year. Even though the Black has really grown on me. I really love this color and I think the car would look dynomite wearing it:

What do you think?
Old 03-18-2011, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

I like that color, although my preference would be a little bit darker.

Are you using specific engine mount kit or making your own?
Old 03-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Callies Performance
Digging the red! But black is classic!
Originally Posted by johnyrrr
Im not a fan of black but it sure looks nice on your Buick, my vote is leave it Henry Fords color.
Lots of people are saying leave it Black around here. They all like the look of the car the way it is.

Originally Posted by TurboLark
Are you using specific engine mount kit or making your own?
I have the Edelbrock adapters. I will know in the next few days if they are satisfactory.

The firewall and frame are all prepped and taped. They are ready to be sprayed. I had to disassemble the core support to send to the sandblaster. There was surface rust in the battery area and a lot of black spray bomb everywhere from the previous owner. I am sending the wheel houses for sandblasting to get rid of the monstrous amount of undercoating on them. Who ever applied that undercoating was very generous.

Since I can't get the sandblasting done until Tuesday, I will install the PRC heads tomorrow and get the motor ready to drop in.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-firewall-taped-4paint.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-coresupport-blaster.jpg  
Old 03-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I have been thinking about colors ever since I purchased this car last year. Even though the Black has really grown on me. I really love this color and I think the car would look dynomite wearing it:
http://www.tuningnews.net/news/07090...nne-gts-01.jpg
What do you think?
That is a pretty color. I too like the classy look of black though I know it is very hard to maintain. For me...it would hinge on what wheels you are going to put on the car. If you are keeping the wheels that are in the pic...then Black would be my choice. If you are going to update the wheels, then the maroon would look killer...but the wheels would have to be something much more modern but classy like Rushforth or something. Just my .02
Old 03-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Old School Heavy

I really like Sunset Orange metallic too. I found a pic a of a 64 Skylark wearing the color so I know what it would look like. I like it a lot. I just don't know if it is too over the top or not:
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-sunset-orange-65.jpg  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by speed tigger
I really like Sunset Orange metallic too. I found a pic a of a 64 Skylark wearing the color so I know what it would look like. I like it a lot. I just don't know if it is too over the top or not:
I think it looks sweet. If you were thinking about a solid color though, ya should of asked the owner to repaint his car one color only, to help YOU visualize your car better. LOL.

But in all seriousness. I am digging the Sunset Orange metallic
Old 03-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
I think it looks sweet. If you were thinking about a solid color though, ya should of asked the owner to repaint his car one color only, to help YOU visualize your car better. LOL.

But in all seriousness. I am digging the Sunset Orange metallic
I actually have a lot of pictures of different 65s in different colors. I am not normally wishy washy about stuff like this, but I like a lot of different looks. My wife says I need a mood color that changes depending on the day. I like that idea.

I got all the pieces back from the sand blast shop today. The engine compartment will look soooo nice once it is painted on Thursday.

Looks like a I have some intake manifold porting to do. They PRC heads ports are a lot wider than my intake manifold ports.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-prc-cnc-ls6.jpg  
Old 03-24-2011, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey speedtigger - thought you might get a chuckle out of my P/S story:

One day while wandering my local salvage yard I stumbled upon a 79 Trans Am. Because my Grand National clone is a B U D G E T type build I scoured this TA to see if there was anything I could get. Most of the good stuff was gone, but the quick steering box was still there.

Now my GN clone is really just a granny type Regal with a sloshy old steering box so I grabbed the T.A.'s box and had it in my car the same day.

WELL, turns out that in 1980 GM changed steering boxes to metric O ring from 79 and earlier inverted flare. How do I know all this you ask? Because my LQ9 came with a P/S pump and lines in really good condition and I figured I would hook them right up. But they were a mismatch! I spent days scouring the internet and calling all over the country trying to find someone who sells an 11/16 inverted flare male to an 18 mm O ring female adapter/coupler. No luck.

Sooooooooooo, I finally bought a brand new power steering hose for a '79 Trans Am, promptly cut one end off of it and took the Escalade hose and cut the other end off of it - and had a local shop marry them!!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by GNCLONE
Hey speedtigger - thought you might get a chuckle out of my P/S story:

One day while wandering my local salvage yard I stumbled upon a 79 Trans Am. Because my Grand National clone is a B U D G E T type build I scoured this TA to see if there was anything I could get. Most of the good stuff was gone, but the quick steering box was still there.

Now my GN clone is really just a granny type Regal with a sloshy old steering box so I grabbed the T.A.'s box and had it in my car the same day.

WELL, turns out that in 1980 GM changed steering boxes to metric O ring from 79 and earlier inverted flare. How do I know all this you ask? Because my LQ9 came with a P/S pump and lines in really good condition and I figured I would hook them right up. But they were a mismatch! I spent days scouring the internet and calling all over the country trying to find someone who sells an 11/16 inverted flare male to an 18 mm O ring female adapter/coupler. No luck.

Sooooooooooo, I finally bought a brand new power steering hose for a '79 Trans Am, promptly cut one end off of it and took the Escalade hose and cut the other end off of it - and had a local shop marry them!!!!
I have an even funnier story. I was just going to use the factory hoses off of my 2001 Vette power steering pump. I thought I would just cut off the end with the saginaw flare, install a double flare nut and then re-flair the line with a double flair. There was just enough room to do this before the bend in the line. So I did it. Unfortunately, I put the wrong size nut on there. Now there is not enough room to do it again. So, I will be doing the exact same thing as you. Whoops.

I just had to share this in my thread. This is a really cool video of an LS2 assembly automation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2ZQQRDmlJc
Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Car is coming along and looks great.
Keep up the good work.

Cool video thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Old School Heavy

The engine bay is painted.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-bay-painted.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-bay-painted2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2011, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Looks nice and clean. Time to fill it up now.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:39 PM
Old School Heavy

Yeah, no doubt. I wanted to put it in there today, but there were a few delays.

The first delay was that the ported heads intake ports were considerably larger than my Edelbrock intake ports as cast, so I had a lot of porting to do. I took enough metal out of the intake manifold to make a cylinder head for a Honda.

I also had my cam ICL on 109.5. Since I replaced the heads and bumped up the compression 8 tenths, I backed the cam up to 110.5 to drop the DCR a down to 8.4:1.

Lastly, I decided to paint the motor instead of leave all the aluminum parts natural. I just love the easy cleanup when all the parts are painted. Unfortunately, I have to wait for the painter to paint it tomorrow.

So, tomorrow may be the big day, or Monday. It depends on how early I get the motor painted.

Engine and accessory brackets are now all final painted. Here are a few pics including superstar painter Jam Master Jay.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lq9-dynamic-compression.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-jay-booth.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-jay-booth2.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lsx-painted.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lsx-painted2.jpg  

Old 03-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Congrats on the progress Im looking to drop my ls1 into my 64 once I get my hands around the header situation. Is there anyway you can get a pic of your dougs headers mounted? I have a milodon kick out oil pan and need to see if these headers will cause issues. Keep up the great work!!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
Old School Heavy

The motor is in.

The headers are installed, but I will hold my comments on the fit until the trans and crossmember are in. I want to get the engine angle sorted out to see exactly where they fall.

The steering tie rods do hit the pan. The grease fittings are hitting. I will remove those and see what I have then. I am hoping that removing the grease fittings and a little grinding on the pan will get r' done. We shall see.

Another item I was worried about was hood clearance. It does not look like it will be a problem.

Here are the pics of the motor in the frame rails with the headers installed.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-1.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-2.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-3.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

Looks sweet...any possible chance you can give me a measurment between pan and headers once things are in place?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I finished mounting my engine I put a jack under the back of the oil pan b/c there was no transmission or x member for support. I realized that the grease fitting on the inner tie rod (pass side) hit the oil pan on a sharp turn.

I realized that I probably had the jack too high on the back of the pan, and when I lowered the jack a little bit my clearance issue was gone!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by SkylarkLS1
Looks sweet...any possible chance you can give me a measurment between pan and headers once things are in place?
I will gladly do that for you. For me, it is just a matter of remembering.
The headers are nowhere near the pan though. The only thing you might be concerned about is starter serviceability, but I doubt it will be a problem.

Originally Posted by GNCLONE
When I finished mounting my engine I put a jack under the back of the oil pan b/c there was no transmission or x member for support. I realized that the grease fitting on the inner tie rod (pass side) hit the oil pan on a sharp turn.

I realized that I probably had the jack too high on the back of the pan, and when I lowered the jack a little bit my clearance issue was gone!
I don't think I will be so lucky. However, I will wait until the trans is in before I say for sure. I will put the grease fittings out and see where we are at. I suspect it may take a slight grind on the pan and/or a slight motor lift for the needed extra clearance.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

".......I suspect it may take a slight grind on the pan and/or a slight motor lift for the needed extra clearance."

Or just don't turn!!! \\

Quick Reply: 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread