Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
Would the Dirty Dingo sliders work? They are 1/4" higher than others (so they say), and you should have plenty of adjustability.

http://dirtydingo.com/store/product_...oducts_id=1318
That might work Brandon. That is a nice looking product and it looks like it may have enough adjustment to get the job done if it were slid all the way forward. However, that would put the mount completely in-front of the block bolts. I don't think that is a good situation for my horsepower level. I dreamed up an idea last night that uses the factory Buick engine mount frame stands. I will have a look at the idea on the car tonight to see if it is viable.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-ls-dirty-dingo.jpg  

Last edited by speedtigger; 03-31-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Old School Heavy

After a lot of staring and figuring, I decided to make my own mounts.

I really don't know how the hell anyone would be able to put an LS1 in a 64-65 A-body with the popular swap conversion plates. There is no way the steering was going to clear the pan without raising my engine.

My new mounts will truly keep the engine in the original position from a front to back standpoint. And they will raise the engine about 3/4" over where the conversion plates would have it.

I bought all the steel, cut the pieces and have it all laid out. Now I just have to drill the holes and weld it all together. I will post pics and info this weekend to share the new design.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow!

I stumbled upon this thread searching around for engine options and your build is truly inspiring! I am also on v8buick and am in the process of selecting the best drivetrain options for my 64 Special. Great info! Thanks I'm seriously considering a similar build but with a manual trans. The little 300 is cute this thing is a friggin beast! Nice Work

Kelly
Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Looks good - thanks for all the updates
Old 04-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Old School Heavy

I have the new motor-mounts designed and mock assembled. I just need to tack-weld them together and install them for a final test before I finish weld them. Here are a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-65lsx-motormount-3.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-65lsx-motormount-2.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-65lsx-motormount-1.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

That should work well.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

Dirty Dingos? The name and looks of them seem like they would be problems Nice job on the fab. How about S&P thats what Ill be trying here once they come. save your template I might need it
Old 04-02-2011, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

I was wondering, whats the ground clearance like with the headers with the standard mounts you had on it? I need to get my headers and the Dougs are looking like the ones to get.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by TurboLark
I was wondering, whats the ground clearance like with the headers with the standard mounts you had on it? I need to get my headers and the Dougs are looking like the ones to get.
Ground clearance is not a problem with these headers. Floor pan clearance is the issue to keep an eye on with these. They actually sit higher than the engine crossmember. Here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-header-floor-1.jpg  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Awesome..ty for the pic. I guess I may need to run over to Pertronix next week and pick some up...that is if I havnt decided to do the turbo for sure by then.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Today was an interesting day. I fitted and final welded the new motor mount frame stands. What I have found with this particular swap and these headers is that the motor must be in the perfect position. I tweaked for hours until everything cleared.

Even with everything perfect, I still needed some clearance between the headers and the floor pans, and a little more clearance for the steering from the oil pan. I found both and here is how:

To get more clearance between the floor pan and the headers, I replaced the old rotten body mounts with new urethane body mounts. That was good for between an 1/8" and a 1/4" of an inch.

To get more room between the oil pan and the steering center link, I loosened the steering box and the idler arm bracket then rotated them down to the end of their travel and re-tightened them. This was actually good for a full 1/4". So, if you are struggling with this, it could be free clearance for you.

With all this done, I will still have to ding the drivers side header at the steering shaft. It is not touching, but there is only 1/16"-1/8". So, the area of the header will have to be flattened until I see a safe distance.

The fabrication of the motor mount stands has really slowed my roll, but I know that the time spent now will make the finished project a sweet piece. Here are some pictures of the finish welded motor mount frame brackets installed and a picture of the the modified motor mount adapter bracket and motor mount.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-motormount-incar-1.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-motormount-incar-2.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-steering-clearance-1.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-modified-motormount-adapter.jpg  

Last edited by speedtigger; 04-04-2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added modified motor mount adapter bracket pics
Old 04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Awesome!! you're getting there.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Old School Heavy

After the work was done today, I threw on the coil covers to see if they would clear the booster. They did. I also have to decide what color to paint the coil covers. I was thinking that going silver would just be too much silver. I also thought the red would be too much. The painter says I should go black. I was also thinking of a charcoal color. Decisions, decisions..............
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-mockup-1.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-mockup-2.jpg  
Old 04-03-2011, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

I'd say black with a red pinstripe or something.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Car looks good. I have those dirty dingo mounts and two of the bolts connecting the two pieces have broken on me. That being the case I cannot recommend them to anyone, especially at their price point. You made the right choice.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
After the work was done today, I threw on the coil covers to see if they would clear the booster. They did. I also have to decide what color to paint the coil covers. I was thinking that going silver would just be too much silver. I also thought the red would be too much. The painter says I should go black. I was also thinking of a charcoal color. Decisions, decisions..............
Looking good! How about a measurement from top of block to top of air cleaner, I'd appreciate that, it will probably give me a heads up. I can't work on my swap until next winter
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Polished aluminum
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

is your booster 9" or 11"?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Launching!

How is your fit with the tranny to tunnel clearance? Do I remember that you are using a 200R4? Did you have to hammer or modify the tunnel?

My trouble at the moment is tranny tunnel interference with a 4L60e, but with the removable bellhousing it is larger than the 200R4 .
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by SkylarkLS1
is your booster 9" or 11"?
I think it is the 11"

Originally Posted by neal64ss
How is your fit with the tranny to tunnel clearance? Do I remember that you are using a 200R4? Did you have to hammer or modify the tunnel?

My trouble at the moment is tranny tunnel interference with a 4L60e, but with the removable bellhousing it is larger than the 200R4 .
Plenty of clearance all the way around the TH200-4R. The closest thing is the servo and there is an inch there. I went to a lot of trouble to find the perfect balance of steering / oil pan clearance, header clearance and transmission clearance. Motor position is critical with this motor and the Doug's header's on my build.

I snuck in about 2 to 3 hours work on the car today. It was one of those days where it looked about the same when I was done as when I started.

I mocked up a set of power steering hoses to take to the hydraulic shop tomorrow. I hooked up the TV cable and set up all the brackets. The throttle linkage is going to require some engineering. I installed all the accessories and the drive belt.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-accessories-installed-1.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-accessories-installed-2.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread