Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What was the part number for the body mount kit you used?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboLark
What was the part number for the body mount kit you used?
It is in the project parts list which is now post #4. Here it is for convenience: Energy Suspension Body Mount Kit #3.4155G.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Old School Heavy

I wouldnt worry. You still have a great amount of useful info here. Keep up the good work.
Originally Posted by -Q-
I don't know how you were linking/uploading your photos before, but if you use an online place like photobucket, imageshack, or supermotors (which is what I use), then you'll still have all your photos in order for documentation, even if this site gets screwed up again. I've got probably 6 vehicles loaded onto Supermotors, and its easy to use. You can create subfolders in each record, like "Engine Swap", "Detail", etc... Here's a link to my "garage" if you'd like to check it out...maybe it's something you can use...

http://www.supermotors.net/users/Quil
Originally Posted by Black&White
Just remember that all of us who have been watching thus far have gotten to appreciate your hard work, it's just all the late comers that don't get to see it as it was, so shame on them for coming late to the party
Seriously though, watching your thread has, for some reason, been inspiring me to go work on my car more. Not sure why considering the first time I saw a pic of your car I had to google "Skylark" That and you make it looks so damn easy
Originally Posted by GNCLONE
Ahhhh - the nature of internet message boards.

Sorry that your documented build got messed up - It is still good though.

One moderator on this site didn't like what I posted so he deleted my posts!!!!
Thanx everybody for your kind words. It is not really a loss for me, as I have lived it. But, I think it is certainly a loss for the community that may have learned from, or been entertained by the project and the story.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
It is in the project parts list which is now post #4. Here it is for convenience: Energy Suspension Body Mount Kit #3.4155G.
Thanks. I must have scanned right over it.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Old School Heavy

I just went through my cars engine harness diagram to plan my modifications for my late model alternator and MSD ignition wiring modifications. It was just one more occasion to appreciate the practical and spartan simplicity of 1965 engineering.

Here are a few pics of how they did it in 1965:
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-65-wiring-diagram1.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-65-wiring-diagram2.jpg  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Those 2 pages made the whole thread super awesome for me. I made sure to save the wiring diagrams right away..lol..Thanks a ton for those.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Old School Heavy

I am now reformatting the factory engine wiring harness and installing the MSD wiring harness. I ditched the bulky MSD wire loom locks in favor of black zip ties at the wire junctions. This makes for a much more sleek and aesthetic installation.

When installing my steam line, I found that it was completely blocked. In fact it was blocked so completely that I had to drill out the hose passage so that water would flow. I am sure glad I found this now instead of chasing overheating problems after the install.

I also installed the core support. This will allow me to get my radiator hoses chosen and give me a place to install a radiator and battery to start this beast.

Just nibbling away at the list.........
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-coresupport-installed.jpg  
Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Old School Heavy

Today I picked up a couple radiator hoses.

The upper hose from a 2001 Vette is perfect except for the outlet size. That will not be a problems because I am using a Jags-That-Run steam vent hose adapter that transitions from the Vette's 1 5/16" outlet size to the Skylark's 1 9/16" hose size.

For a lower hose I picked up a 2001 Camaro lower. This hose too is the perfect shape but has the same problem of being too small in diameter at the radiator connection. However, in looking at my factory 65 Skylark lower radiator hose, I think it will work perfect if I just cut a few inches off on the water pump end. So, I will order in a new factory 65 Skylark lower hose.

Now, I just need to find out if I can merely plug the heater hose connections on the water pump until my new a/c & heating system is installed.

Here are a couple pictures of the upper radiator hose and the steam vent hose set up:
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-upperrad-hose-steamvent2.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-upperrad-hose-steamvent3.jpg  

Last edited by speedtigger; 04-15-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 04-16-2011, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

I know that on the sandrails that use the LS motors they pull the heater hose tubes and tap and plug the holes. I'll ask my contact at CBM motors if there is anything else needed. I seem to remember hearing omething about drilling a hole somewhere as well.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Heater

I removed my heater hose nipples from my water pump, they are just a press fit and then I tapped the holes with a 3/8 and a 1/2 tap and intalled plugs and I have about a 1000 miles so far with no problems, you will find about a 50/50 % consensus on doing it this way and others saying the must be looped together with a piece of U-shaped rubber hose, or that they must be routed through a bypass shut off valve then to your heater core.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by lizeec
I removed my heater hose nipples from my water pump, they are just a press fit and then I tapped the holes with a 3/8 and a 1/2 tap and intalled plugs and I have about a 1000 miles so far with no problems, you will find about a 50/50 % consensus on doing it this way and others saying the must be looped together with a piece of U-shaped rubber hose, or that they must be routed through a bypass shut off valve then to your heater core.
I hope it is not a problem. As you can see in the pictures below, I put rubber caps on mine as I will need them as soon as the new climate control system is installed. I would think that if it was a problem, it would present itself immediately.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-lower-hose-installed.jpg  
Old 04-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Old School Heavy

Today was another day where I worked 8+ hours on the car and it sure did not look like it when I was done. In all fairness though, there was a lot of fabrication.

I installed the heater box block off plate with threaded inserts, mounted the MSD with threaded inserts, installed the trans-cooler, made the custom trans-cooler steel lines (all 5/16" steel with inverted flare fittings and no rubber hoses), found and installed a lower radiator hose, installed the battery and mounting system on the core support, bought a heavy duty 4 gauge alternator wire and connectors.

The lower radiator hose part number that worked for me was Dayco 71321.
The upper radiator hose combination that worked for me was Dayco 71981 (2001 Corvette) spliced with a section of Dayco 71421.

If I can fabricate the transmission to radiator lines, fabricate the fuel lines from the tank to the engine, install the starter and get the wiring done tomorrow, I can hear it run. I am pretty tired tonight, so we shall see how much energy and motivation I have tomorrow.

Here are some pics of the progress:
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-trans-cooler.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-hoses-core-support.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-msd-installed.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-3quarter-doghouse.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Very clean installs there. Well worth the time it took. Next is video of it running!!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top notch! Looks great! You planned it out perfectly.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Old School Heavy

Very clean installs there. Well worth the time it took. Next is video of it running!!
I hoped to hear it run today, but I apparently forgot how ridiculously slow and picky I am. It took me 5 hours to make my transmission lines today.

I still have to wire the engine harness and plumb the lines from the tank to the engine - then we can hear it run.

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Top notch! Looks great! You planned it out perfectly.
Yep, I planned it out. Then I found all the stuff that did not work out as planned and re-planned them again.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 AM
Old School Heavy

We are down to shifter, engine wiring, fuel lines & exhaust.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger
We are down to shifter, engine wiring, fuel lines & exhaust.
Woohoo!! Engine wiring then fire it.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Teching In

That is one clean car man!!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking good. Whats the part number on that oil filler cap that goes directly into the valve cover ? Instead of the stockers' extension tube they put on there.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Teching In

What are you planning to do with the original speedometer gauge and the vss for the 200r4?

Quick Reply: 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread