Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man that looks good
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Lookin nice there. Did your car have a throttle cable stock ? my chevelle has that torque bar/lever through the firewall setup. It looks like it will clear the LS engine head.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish350
man that looks good
Originally Posted by gjestico
Lookin nice there.
Thanx Guys.

Originally Posted by gjestico
Did your car have a throttle cable stock ? my chevelle has that torque bar/lever through the firewall setup. It looks like it will clear the LS engine head.
No, mine has the throttle rod. I don't think cables came about until the 70s. It is a matter of geometry. This carb sits higher. Right now the rod needs to go right through my Bowtie Overdrives TV cable bracket. I might be able to get it done with a funny shaped throttle rod. If not, it will be cable conversion time.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I recall seeing a thread somewhere of a guy with a 64 Tempest (I think) that he was doing a LS swap on. It looked like it had a factory throttle cable stock. Would be a slick way if one could find the right (or reproduction) parts.I was going to try and find it but it looks like my stock arm setup will work.
On my firewall there is a 3-hole pattern of dimples right above the throttle pedal. I think thats where the factory cable might go through the firewall.
They started using a cable on A-bodys in 68 IIRC. Different generation than our cars though.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Old School Heavy

The factory throttle rod actually worked fine. I just had to put a small bend in it to clear the detent cable bracket.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Ground clearance is not a problem with these headers. Floor pan clearance is the issue to keep an eye on with these. They actually sit higher than the engine crossmember. Here is a pic.
Your swap is coming along pretty fast and is looking good. Nice job on the engine stands! In the pic concerning the headers to floor pan, did you have the engine at the proper angle front to back? I ran mine at a negative 3 degrees. I was just wondering. I am sure you have all your bases covered but it never hurts to ask. Keep up the good work and I look forward to watching this thing come alive.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Your swap is coming along pretty fast and is looking good. Nice job on the engine stands! In the pic concerning the headers to floor pan, did you have the engine at the proper angle front to back? I ran mine at a negative 3 degrees. I was just wondering. I am sure you have all your bases covered but it never hurts to ask. Keep up the good work and I look forward to watching this thing come alive.
Hey Tony, mine is at 3 1/2 degrees.

Last night was little things night. Engine fuel lines, throttle and TV cables and linkage, vacuum lines, etc. The pictures don't look much different from last update, but here they are:

The hydraulic shop finished the new power steering lines today. I was going to take a picture of the layout before it was installed but I guess my motivation to get them in the car overrode that plan. Here are some pics of them installed:
Attached Thumbnails 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-incar2-040411.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-engine-incar-040511.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-power-steering-lines2.jpg   1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread-power-steering-lines.jpg  
Old 04-07-2011, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Nice! How close do you think you are to a fire up?
Old 04-08-2011, 07:01 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by TurboLark
Nice! How close do you think you are to a fire up?
Here is what is left on my list:

Oil Disptick tube bracket - Weld

Transmission Crossmember - Drill bolt holes and bolt to frame

Shifter - hook up cable

Wiring Harness- install and modify as needed

Ignition system - install and wire

Fuel Lines - Fabricate and install new pump and sender assys

Exhaust - install and fabricate as needed

****** Get Ready for Initial Start-Up ******

Tighten valve covers

Header bolts - torque to spec

Add all Fluids

Install spark plugs

Repair and check plug wires for resistance

Start and check for leaks

******* Secondary Items ********

Rear brake line - re-run for clearance and to avoid header heat

Modify drivers header and recoat

Cable throttle - convert to 71 Skylark cable throttle (light fabrication and install)

****** Items to buy ******

New rag joint

I would have likely at least heard it run this weekend, but my wife's family is visiting, so I will be entertaining all weekend. However, if I get my work done early today, I can knock out a few things.

Last edited by speedtigger; 04-08-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Put the family to work for a bit. Should knock out a bunc of the list. LOL.
Or, entertain them by hearing the first startup. Yeah..i like that one.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love this thread, and love the car. You're doing a great job on it. Subscribed!
Old 04-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

What did you decide on using for electric fan? Which radiator are you using?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by ModMuscle
What did you decide on using for electric fan? Which radiator are you using?
The fan and controller are in my parts list in post 13. It is the famous Ford Taurus fan controlled by a soft on fan controller from Painless Wiring. The radiator is a factory 4 core 65 Skylark cross-flow unit. I have yet to have picked the hoses to be used.

Wow. I am not sure what happened to this thread but many of the posts have been deleted and some joined together. It is a mess. I will have to ask the moderator what happened.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:50 PM
On The Tree

LOL.. you just noticed now? been like that for the past week nearly.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:45 AM
Old School Heavy

Exclamation For those that are following, sorry about what has happened to this thread.

Recently, this thread became damaged and/or corrupted. Some posts are missing and some are combined. It certainly is no longer what we created.

I contacted the site administrator to see if it could be fixed, he said the only thing I could do was create a new thread and cut and paste. That substantial undertaking however would not bring back what is lost or restore the conversations, questions and contribution posts by others that made the thread what it is.

When I started the thread, it really did not enter into my mind that this could happen. I have taken a lot of extra time and care to provide pictures and share what I had learned with the LS1Tech.com community. Moving forward, I will still share my progress, but I will not likely be making any extraordinary efforts to photograph or document this as I have previously knowing that those efforts can and have been lost in the blink of an eye.

Last edited by speedtigger; 04-10-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

I wouldnt worry. You still have a great amount of useful info here. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:37 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how you were linking/uploading your photos before, but if you use an online place like photobucket, imageshack, or supermotors (which is what I use), then you'll still have all your photos in order for documentation, even if this site gets screwed up again. I've got probably 6 vehicles loaded onto Supermotors, and its easy to use. You can create subfolders in each record, like "Engine Swap", "Detail", etc... Here's a link to my "garage" if you'd like to check it out...maybe it's something you can use...

http://www.supermotors.net/users/Quil
Old 04-10-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
When I started the thread, it really did not enter into my mind that this could happen. I have taken a lot of extra time and care to provide pictures and share what I had learned with the LS1Tech.com community. Moving forward, I will still share my progress, but I will not likely be making any extraordinary efforts to photograph or document this as I have previously knowing that those efforts can and have been lost in the blink of an eye.
I agree with -Q- and would create an offline storage system using one of the free hosting sites or something else. I already pay to have web space so all my photos go there with links to this and other sites and I always have full control. Long ago I thought about making pages for my swaps on my site to archive the progress notes as well, this has just motivated me to do so.

Sorry your thread got fubared. Please don't give up, there is a lot of good information here for someone with similar desires who may not have the experience you, I and many of the senior members here have - even if they aren't building the same car. Now for an appeal to your selfish side... another thought is when you are 100 years old and telling your kids or grand kids about something you can have all the pictures to show them long after this site is gone.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Just remember that all of us who have been watching thus far have gotten to appreciate your hard work, it's just all the late comers that don't get to see it as it was, so shame on them for coming late to the party
Seriously though, watching your thread has, for some reason, been inspiring me to go work on my car more. Not sure why considering the first time I saw a pic of your car I had to google "Skylark" That and you make it looks so damn easy
Old 04-10-2011, 11:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ahhhh - the nature of internet message boards.

Sorry that your documented build got messed up - It is still good though.

One moderator on this site didn't like what I posted so he deleted my posts!!!!

Quick Reply: 1965 Skylark LQ9 Retrofit / Swap - Build Thread