Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

would ya??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default would ya??

I have a mint 68 chevelle w low miles almost all options and a numbers matching 327 driveline.The car is all original.
I also have a 6.0 and t56 that is sitting in my garage with nothing to do.
I really like the originality of the car but I think it would be more fun with an LS engine and a 6 speed.
Would you convert it or leave it and if you converted it how much do you think it would affect the value of the car?
Thanks
J
Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JAY ROD
I have a mint 68 chevelle w low miles almost all options and a numbers matching 327 driveline.The car is all original.
I also have a 6.0 and t56 that is sitting in my garage with nothing to do.
I really like the originality of the car but I think it would be more fun with an LS engine and a 6 speed.
Would you convert it or leave it and if you converted it how much do you think it would affect the value of the car?
Thanks
J
I would say that if the car is a plain Jane with no SS option or anything else that makes it especially valuable, I would go for it.

When doing your retrofit, just be careful to do all bolt in procedures with no permanent modifications. Pickle and store everything you take off in case you want to go back.

Some day when you are old and you think you want to sit around restoration car shows all day, or sell the car, you will still have everything you need.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly what I would do. Not cutting, just nuts and bolts. Wrap and preserve everything you take out.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like speedtigger said, if its not a ss, swap but keep all original parts in case you want to sell or show as original.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

This is kind of a crazy idea, but you could get another frame, put in the LS, trans, some supsension mods, etc. and just swap it out when your ready. Minimal down time on a driveable car=win.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it.....You only live once and there are plenty of #'s matching cars out there......Chevelles are meant to be driven and LS power makes it so much better.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have swap my Chevelle. But if there is any collectablity value in this Mint, Numbers Match car. I would leave it and start with something else. Some things have to be preserved for the sake of the Automotive World and its future. Hot Rodding hobby or not.

My Chevelle had enough Dings, Rust and dents to be on not much value to start with.

Sorry guys. It has to be said. If you don't value it as is.. sell it to someone who would.

BC
Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 PM
10 Second Club

If it's an ss convertible, swap it. If it's a 4 door station wagon, by gollie, keep it original!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"numbers matching" are probably the dirtiest words that have ever haunted our hobby. Who cares what a bunch of barret jackson types want or think. People talk about these cars like they are ingeniously crafted art. They aren't, they are just massed produced consumer items designed by the most part by disgruntled, low paid engineers. The rare cars, the ones worth the most money, are rare because most people didn't think they were worth the money back in the day. I'm not sure what good you will be doing future generations by building something that will be locked up in some rich guy's warehouse. IMO these cars aren't worth anything unless they are being driven and enjoyed.

But, with that in mind, you need to know what kind of money you wil be giving up if you convert it. See if you can get is appraised by a knowledgeble third party, since from what I see most people have an over inflated value of their own cars. If the money is enough you may be dollars ahead selling what you have and starting with a beater. I would ask the appraiser about impact of speedtigger's suggestion. From what I have seen, and obviously I don't know how to play the BJ pricing game, not having things like the original window sticker, owners manuals and the correct paint dots on all the hoses can drop the value as much as a few extra holes being drilled here and there.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Make it how you want and enjoy it. Let the grandkids worry about resale!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Earl Filter
Make it how you want and enjoy it. Let the grandkids worry about resale!
I love this answer
Old 12-28-2010, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Truthfully our opinions don't really matter.
Enjoy the car however YOU want to. If cutting, modding or changing a "numbers matching original" bothers you, find a non-matching / less valuable version and build that one while selling the "original" car to someone with too much money who cares about such things. If things like that don't make you lose sleep at night, mod away - but enjoy the decision whatever you choose.

The key is enjoying whatever you choose but the final decision is in your hands. Your creation has to live in your driveway or garage - not ours.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

You're on this forum so I think you know what you really want to do. It might be worth more with a nice modern set up and the original drive train available for re-installation at a later date.

Kerry P
Old 12-28-2010, 01:20 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I would trade for a non number matching ride, then do what you want to.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is only my opinion, so not worth much. Having lived back in the time when 68 Chevelles were built, one with a 327 was just a family car and hardly worth a second glance. It was the SuperSports that everyone wanted and if it did not have a big block, well never mind. That caused so many of the SS models to be modded with headers, intake manifolds, carbs, wheels etc. That was not done to the small block cars because they still did not compete with the big boys. That is likely why an unmolested SS big block Chevelle is held is high regard and a small block Malibu not so much. Now, this is not in any way intended to run down your car. My thought is that a nicely equipped 68 Chevelle with a 6.0 and a T-56 is way cooler, and a lot more fun, than an original 327 probably with a Powerglide. And should the time come to sell it, I think the 6.0 and T56 would bring more buyers than an all original small block car. Again, that's just me. Like the others said, your car, your money, do what you will enjoy.

Pat
Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Even if it was a numbers matchin SS whatever, who cares, do what you want with it it's just some metal and plastic. Why some numbers stamped into some metal makes two otherwise completely identical cars different to some people is something that makes little sense to me. Pull that old stuff and sell it to whoever will buy it.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Thanks guys,I was toying with the idea of trading or selling and starting with a project but time for me is very limited with two kids who are active ,and a heavy commitment to my career.I like this car alot and it is mint,so if I were to drop in an ls and t56 there would be no other B/S to do as far as interior,body etc.The only thing holding me back from starting the project is the fact that I have to cut up the transmission tunnel for the t56.If I wanted to go back to original later that is something that cannot be changed back.The floors and all other metal is virgin and I would feel bad hacking out the trans tunnel.
Any suggestions on the trans tunnel?

Jer.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Easy if it is auto stay with an auto you can find a 4L65 easy enough on here or if it is currently a 4spd there are shifter kits to fit the T56 into early cars that do not require you to hack the tunnel they fit the 4spd shift tower in the floor.

Personally I cut the tunnel in my 68 Camaro and it was also a virgin car no regrets here!!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Even if it was a numbers matchin SS whatever, who cares, do what you want with it it's just some metal and plastic. Why some numbers stamped into some metal makes two otherwise completely identical cars different to some people is something that makes little sense to me. Pull that old stuff and sell it to whoever will buy it.
A car is a car. It's made to be enjoyed and driven. Where's the fun in letting the car sit unchanged and unabused??? Modd it and beat the **** out of it every chance you get. I prefer a racing seat to a lawn chair
Old 12-29-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Regardless its your ride and fugg what others think.......

Why have a car, everybody else likes? whether it be 327 or LS... the decision is yours..... I see it too many times.... you go to meets and some guys who turn their noses up and claim to know every vin,code,etc about chevelles are there... But the difference is everybody stops and looks and the crowd is around my 69 Chevelle LS2.....lol..... The era correct guys come look but go back over to their row with 8 cars that all look alike..... The worst thing to me to do is build a car everybody else likes for your personal ride....only unless your trying to sell it or flip it....

I cannot go anywhere, let alone Oreillys, Autozone, and if I even crack the hood, I spend 20 mins explaining the setup and guys asking questions...... Not being narcasitic or nothing.... But the facts are the facts......

Do you bro and what makes you happy..... If you are so concerned about value..... Try to sell it and see what it fetches...... This is where the reality of it all comes in.... Because what the blue book value is not what you are garunteed to get for it...... I learned my lesson before with era correct..... Unless it was like a 427, yenko, L-87, or something rare..... Its just another 68 w/327 and back then I am sure they made 100,000+ of your car.... Mine was something like 327,000th....made or somewhere in there.... So really mine was nothing special.....lol You may get lucky and find some old rich guy who is bored and willing to pay you top dollar.... but most all americans right now are looking for a deal and looking to pay under true value..... but true value is subjective to the appraiser or the purchaser.....

not trying to sway you either way, just giving my take and experience and most guys here all do not regret the swap...... It got to the point where I was not enjoying the car with my old setups. I now enjoy the car again.... I cain't wait to drive it when I do..... If I go out of town, the first thing I do when I get back is start it up and drive it.......

Bozz

Quick Reply: would ya??