Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1964 Nova LS project

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1964 Nova LS project

I thought I might as well start a thread. I have been lurking around here for a while and have had the Ls bug for a while. So it was time to join the dark side. I will update his thread as much as possible. I am sure I will have a ton of questions along the way.

We I pulled the 350 out of my nova and sold it. I came across a deal where I swap a 5.3 motor out for a guy on a 2000 tahoe. He was running a ad on CL to come drive the tahoe with motor in and see that it runs strong (155K). He was putting LKQ (28K) motor in for a long road trip he was taking this summer pulling a trailer. So I had a idea of swaping the motor for him in order to keep all the old parts. He agreed and then I got my *** kicked flat backing a 4x4 motor in the driveway. Two broken exhaust bolts and three torque converter bolts later the motor was out and swapped.

So now I have a 5.3 that I will converter to look like a LS1. At a later time I will be punching this motor out too a 5.7. I have some gaskets I want to change and I have started my parts hunt for this project. It is starting to feel a little over whelming but as look as you guys help keep me motivated I hope to complete this year. I also hope for a couple big side jobs because that is what I use to fund my project. Being me and my wife both work for schools we dont make much money.

Parts I have collected:
LS1 intake complete w/rails,injectors,TB,MAF ($145shipped)
GTO oil Pan ($200)
2000 firebird harness and ECM ($300),Guy on my nova site is hooking me up with a program for it.

Parts list(things keep coming to mind):
Fuel system
cooling system
headers
throttle cable
body harness

I posted some pics of the car below. Hopefully I will do some cleaning along the way. I got a gallon of John deere Blitz black. I like the all black look so we will see!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet.....Looking forward to this one.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Teching In

SLeeper!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,102 Likes on 723 Posts

Are you running stock shock towers? Of the project cars I consider, I also look at 63-65 Chevy II's. But if I have to clip it then it jumps the cost up a lot.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

yes I am running the stock front end minus suspension upgrades from CPP. I think if I was to do it again and had the funds I would use CBR stuff. Its a bit on the pricey side but you can do it one part at a time. I like the look of the inner fenders and towers(built in tool shelf). So we will see how it goes. I am going to start the harness mod this week I hope. Its foot ball season so it slows me down.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Love it! I am a bit biased, though....
Old 01-22-2011, 06:47 PM

Default Respect!

Hey there

I am doing an ls1 swap into a 62 1/2 shoebox without changing the front clip. Gotta add posi as I got a 10 bolt 350 in there right now but I'd like to exchange notes. I use mine as a daily driver so was prone to hassles with the sbc. Problems I am confronting are largely with the headers. Got to fabricate as the steering column (I like manual steer, better than the gym!) is a coles call. Oil pan was no problem at the end of the day, GTO is a good choice. Little shuffling on the transmission required but the devil is in the details. With no cats baby should haul!

Tell me about your config. Like to hear how you get past the header issue!
Old 01-22-2011, 06:55 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,102 Likes on 723 Posts

BRP HotRods has indicated in another thread that they are having long tubes made that will work with the stock front clip and shock towers.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Mine will be a 5.3 with a 4L60E behind it. I wanted to go with BRP headers
($669) which I had no problem with. The issue I am having is BPR is want another $499 for the mount kit cause it centers the engine. I have a set of header supposely lined up but I will believe when I see it. I also was talk with a maniufacter(spelling). They are interested in the chevyII market but are dragging there butts on doing anything. I will keep this thread updated as I will need a lot of help along the way. Hopefully I can help others.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Tried to place my LS1 manifold on the motor last night and it hits the coolant bypass/crossover. When doing a 5.3 conversion do most guys bend this or replace it off a ls1? Thxs
Old 02-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Well I found that most guys bend the coolant pipe but I found one on the cheap with all the sensors I was missing. I am now working on the harness and if i can do this anyone can. This is the part I was scared of. Now I need to save for headers. Hers some pics

Old 02-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Staging Lane

While doing mods on the harness I decided to finish up the gauges. I am still saving for headers. I am about half way there. The cluster is from a 62 nova and got the idea from member on my nova site. I might change the color of the bezel????

Old 02-28-2011, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by greasemonkeychef
I am now working on the harness and if i can do this anyone can. This is the part I was scared of.
Did you happen to see Tom's thread about the wiring harnesses? Lots of good info: Tom's Wiring harness install

Awesome project! I couldn't stay away from the Nova/LSx craze either!
Old 02-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah Tom has been great! I am almost done with the harness. All I have left is about a dozen wire to extend(put a 5' extension) then run my grounds. I also left the O2 sensors long and the coil connectors cause I am not sure about location of either. I am waiting on the funds for headers and maybe a few other options on headers. Might be May before I get money for my birthday for headersSUCKS. Need more side work or a 2nd job
Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

What are you guys using for throttle cables in your conversions?(budget minded)

Also what adapters are you guys using for autometer gauges? Where are you locating the sending units? I know about the oil pressure sender can go above the filter with a drill and tap. Anyone put it in the original spot?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

We put the OPS in the stock location on the wagon we are working on.Equis makes an adapter kit to reduce the OEM threaded hole to 1/8 pipe.One cylinder head has the stock EFI sensor that you will need to retain aand the other head has a plug in the hole.Remove the plug and install the adapter and your aftermarket temp gauge will work fine.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Harness is coming together. Question" What gauge wire from ALT to STARTER "+" terminal? I think I should use a fusable link too? All I have left on harness is hook up grounds and run wire for gauges. I will be purchase a CURRENT PERFORMANCE box to power everything.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Nova..Keep up with this project..
Old 04-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Well its been a while since I updated. i have just been cleaning/painting and collecting parts. Here is some updated photos. I am wait on CBR to fab the headers for the stock front steering. Kinda going with a black/cast iron color scheme. Tell me what you think

While waiting for headers I might end up doing a complete AAW harness upgrade and paint the engine bay JohnDeer flat black.

Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Looking good.

Quick Reply: 1964 Nova LS project