Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 LM7 into 83 Coupe DeVille

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 LM7 into 83 Coupe DeVille

I just picked up a complete 99 5.3 LM7 and a 06 4L60E for use in my 83 Coupe DeVille project. Swap is pretty complete except the truck harness was cut where it goes to the transmission. I need to find another harness and some other odds and ends.

Anyway I think I'm well on my way to figuring this out. I've been doing a bunch of research on here and it looks as if the factory truck manifolds will work, as well as the oil pan. I am concerned because the oil pan is going to hang low and the car is being built as a lowrider, so I'll either have to section the pan, or maybe swap to like a CST-V pan. Mounts I'm going to make adapter plates and try to use the stock mounts. Won't be able to start that until I finish my frame and get it back under the car.

My motor is complete with all excessories, PCM, clutch fan, starter, (no ac but the belts on it so it was deleted on the truck before it got to me.), MAF, fuse box, cruise module, and upper engine cover. The things I'm missing and would like to get are the truck intake tube and air box, I need another harness, and the metal fuel crossover line that connects the fuel rails.

My transmission is out of an 06 4wd trailblazer and has the wrong bellhousing and tailshaft on it. It was complete inspected and resealed by a GM tech before I got it. Where can I get a truck bellhousing? Also what do I do about the tailshaft? I realize I can just bolt a new tail shaft on, but the PCM needs VSS and the car has a cable speedo. So i need one of those converter boxes, OR a tailshaft with both outputs. Are there any of these tailshafts that aren't $400-$500??!?! I don't even have $500 in the entire drivetrain at this point.

Anybody have any tips or pointers for this project? I've about read every B-b ody thread on here and noone has any details about fuel pump / sender / tank hookups etc. Even if you guys have some good links, I'm happy to do the reading!!

Here's a few pics of the pig, least I could do after making you read all my banter.

I'll see if I can get some pics of how it looks now maybe tonight.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Launching!

I am doing a similar project on a 1987 Brougham. From the extensive search I did a 4wd transmission won't work
I also had a 4wd tranny from a 1999 silverado and you need to open the whole transmission to change the INPUT shaft, then you change the tailshaft.

Now is the 4wd transmission different on the 06 trailblazer than on a 1999 Silverado? I dunno. But I know mine needed to completely open it. I just bought a tranny from a 1999 Camaro. Also make sure your transmission works with your ECU

What are you doing about your engine mounts?
I did mine but they put the engine a bit too high. I have to modify them, bring them down by 1/2". And even then I will still have to tilt the engine by about 5 degrees, meaning I have to tilt my differential by the same amount which means I need adjustable upper control arms. It's also a close fit with the transmission tunnel. I keep the stock height and I am thinking when the car is loaded or go over bumps the transmission will get even closer. I hope it won't touch the floor.

You might also have to relocate the a/c compressor.

Do you have the FI 4100 engine? If your car is fuel injected you just need to swap pumps if yours cannot deliver enough pressure. In my case I have a carb'ed car and I need an external pump, or swap tanks with one from a later FI car. I heard 1992-1996 b-bodies had plastic tanks that are a bolt-on item. But I am not to that point yet.

On my car I will temporarily ditch the cable speedometer. I don't have 300 bucks to spend on that box yet. I will just use an electronic aftermarket speedometer for a while.

By the way nice car
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Launching!

And yes, the stock oil pan will be lower than the cross member. I don't have an exact number yet but I am thinking about 2-3 inches lower.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Soooo I guess I need a 2wd 99-03 4L60E!!!! Anybody!??!!? LOL

I'm not running A/C, it was already deleted from the truck motor when I got it.

Yea mine is the 4100 V8, which ran fine when i bought it, but I'm adding weight to the car and stock / brand new those things were on borrowed time. **** it.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Launching!

I am wondering that if you are making it a low rider (if I understood correctly), you might have to modify your transmission tunnel. As I said the fit seems to be pretty tight with my 4l60e. Or maybe modify the cross member. But you'll see when you get t that point.

The other option might be to use a built 200-4r that can take the torque of the 5.3, that's what it was in my car. My 200-4r seems to have a bigger slope on the bell housing and a smaller body. WHich means it would leave more space between it and the body of the car. But I don't want to start opening it up to make it stronger.

I'll try to post some pics tonight or tomorrow in which I show the fit of the transmission with the actual height of the engine supports.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wayne64SS
Swap is pretty complete except the truck harness was cut where it goes to the transmission.
Man, why do they always have to do that. That is exactly where mine was cut also, behind the engine where it goes to the transmission. But I soldered whatever wires were needed. I hope I didn't mix any up. Whenever it will get started I'll cross my fingers
Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Teching In

WIth the car being a lowrider it doesn't change the space between the crossmember and the body, if it does it will give me slightly more clearance. I'm not afraid to cut a hole in the car I could give a ****. I have a rebuilt 2004r sitting on the floor i was going to use. **** it, I'm going 4l60e or bust.

Good news is I pulled the trigger and ordered a bellhousing for the trans. I'm goign to swap the tail shaft and the output over with my buddy's help (he works for gm and rebuilds these all the time) I think he even has all the gaskets and **** i need. Good to go!
Old 01-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Teching In

is that/this LayitLow Wayne64SS??

:wave:
Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Teching In

yea buddy!!!!!!!! wassup!!!! :wave: :beer:
Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Teching In

I've been on vacation from lowriding for the past year and a half.. haven't built anything and I'm getting bored, lol.. got a LM7 I'm hoping to have in something soon as well, then hopefully I'll get back off my *** and start playing with group 31s again
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WIth the car being a lowrider it doesn't change the space between the crossmember and the body, if it does it will give me slightly more clearance. I'm not afraid to cut a hole in the car I could give a ****. I have a rebuilt 2004r sitting on the floor i was going to use. **** it, I'm going 4l60e or bust.

Good news is I pulled the trigger and ordered a bellhousing for the trans. I'm goign to swap the tail shaft and the output over with my buddy's help (he works for gm and rebuilds these all the time) I think he even has all the gaskets and **** i need. Good to go!
Your buddy should be able to solder on a trans plug with no problem and save you the money of buying another harness they sell the plug here:http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=586

Also, sinde your car was equipped with the ht4100 all you need is to order a higher rated fuel pump(AC-Delco ep241) and install it on your tanks sending unit. If the 5.3 is one of the earlier models then it should have both a feed and return fuel rail which essentially makes this a drop in the bucket for you.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by deuce4935
Your buddy should be able to solder on a trans plug with no problem and save you the money of buying another harness they sell the plug here:http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=586

Also, sinde your car was equipped with the ht4100 all you need is to order a higher rated fuel pump(AC-Delco ep241) and install it on your tanks sending unit. If the 5.3 is one of the earlier models then it should have both a feed and return fuel rail which essentially makes this a drop in the bucket for you.
awesome man that is all excellent news!!! I do still have to run all new lines, I ripped all my old junk off when I pulled the frame out. How are you guys connecting the hard metal lines off the sender with metal lines on the frame? Mine currently has rubber with hose clamps, so I know I need to upgrade to something else.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You can use rubber lines, they just need to be rated for the pressure of fuel injection. There are fuel injection clamps that are smooth on the inside and fuel injection rubber line at the local parts store rated to 60 or 100 PSI.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by biggeazy-e
I've been on vacation from lowriding for the past year and a half.. haven't built anything and I'm getting bored, lol.. got a LM7 I'm hoping to have in something soon as well, then hopefully I'll get back off my *** and start playing with group 31s again
Same here man. I only work on the Caddy over winters while wifey is working long *** hours so it hasn't been touched since last year this time.

Last edited by Wayne64SS; 01-26-2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Teching In

]
Originally Posted by gofastwclass
You can use rubber lines, they just need to be rated for the pressure of fuel injection. There are fuel injection clamps that are smooth on the inside and fuel injection rubber line at the local parts store rated to 60 or 100 PSI.
Huh, I had no idea this stuff existed. I'll grab some of that then for sure.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by biggeazy-e
is that/this LayitLow Wayne64SS??

:wave:
yea buddy!!!!!!!! wassup!!!! :wave: :beer:
Interesting.... I have some friends who get on there - small world.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 01-26-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Can't bloody spell

Quick Reply: 5.3 LM7 into 83 Coupe DeVille