Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 swap, Carbed vs Fuel Injected

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default LS1 swap, Carbed vs Fuel Injected

This is for a LS1/T56 swap in a 2nd gen Trans Am.

Well I'm getting to the point where my LS1 swap will need a fuel system soon and have been thinking if I should stay fuel injected or go carbed. I've thought about a few reasons on why I should go carbed, but I would like to hear from the guys that have done it. A carb setup would eliminate a big headache from modifying the wiring harness that the FI set up would require, fuel system would be much simpler, and a good tank won't cost $1200. Not only that, if I want something better than an LS1 intake its at least another $300 for an LS6 or up to $900 for fast 102 plus injectors, TB, fuel rails then tune.

So to me it seems that a carb set up is the way to go, $700 for the Edelbrock Performer along with the ignition module plus a decent carb would put me around $1200 to $1300 and just a stock replacement tank with a decent fuel pump should get me going.

So what do you guys think? Am I looking at this the wrong way or is this the simpler way to go. Am I missing something that should steer me awy from a carb set up? I would have love to have fuel injected in an old school car but eliminating a harness, a pcm, and an expensive fuel system its enough to consider going carbed.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what you want really. I was going to carb my fox swap, but got to thinking it'd be nice to have the EFI for driveability and tuning. Eventually I'm going turbo so EFI was an easy choice.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stick with efi, theres no need to ever spend 1200 on a fuel tank unless you have the extra cash laying around. rock auto has them for a pretty fair price. or mod your stock tank and use a $100 walbro pump and a vetter fpr. easy.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm an EFI convert all the way. The carb vs. EFI debate is really simple to me and some of the first things I think about are:

Am I trying to keep a traditional look, am I limited by class rules, what is the main purpose of the car, what are my realistic power goals and / or do I have all the carb stuff laying about?

If you can get the entire engine, harness, accessories and PCM in one shot going EFI is a VERY simple and inexpensive affair. You get factory reliability, simple operation and don't need to mess with tuning, cold starts, etc. I'm not saying you can't spend a ton of cash going EFI, but you could also spend a ton of cash running a carb. You don't need braided lines, external regulators and billet fuel rails or a new tank for your fuel delivery system, you just need to shop smart and not fall into the "bigger is better" mentality.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zamora7

Well I'm getting to the point where my LS1 swap will need a fuel system soon and have been thinking if I should stay fuel injected or go carbed. I've thought about a few reasons on why I should go carbed, but I would like to hear from the guys that have done it. A carb setup would eliminate a big headache from modifying the wiring harness that the FI set up would require, fuel system would be much simpler, and a good tank won't cost $1200. Not only that, if I want something better than an LS1 intake its at least another $300 for an LS6 or up to $900 for fast 102 plus injectors, TB, fuel rails then tune.

So to me it seems that a carb set up is the way to go, $700 for the Edelbrock Performer along with the ignition module plus a decent carb would put me around $1200 to $1300 and just a stock replacement tank with a decent fuel pump should get me going.

So what do you guys think? Am I looking at this the wrong way or is this the simpler way to go. Am I missing something that should steer me awy from a carb set up? I would have love to have fuel injected in an old school car but eliminating a harness, a pcm, and an expensive fuel system its enough to consider going carbed.
Although I prefer carbs because of the simplicity if you decide to make other changes to engine like cam, etc, I won't try to tell you that's the only way to go. I did notice two things in your post that I might comment on. The first is the manual trans which will save money if you decide to carb it, because you won't have to change from computer controlled trans or buy an expensive module to control it. The next thing is this....don't buy the Edelbrock manifold and box package. Buy the MSD brand box separate for two reasons. The Edelbrock box is not programable with a laptop (very important) the MSD box comes with the same timing "pills" as Edelbrock box but is also programable. Also, you can buy them cheaper if you buy separately. I just bought manifold from Summit for $259.00 and the MSD 6010 is still, like $314.00, I think. 6012 is a little higher. Good luck! Ron
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I'm a carb guy also. Easier for me to tune the carb. Easier swap for me as well. I also like the look of the carb. I've never had a problem daily driving a carbed car either. If you set your carb up correctly you can get good fuel milage also. My car is not a daily driver, and people really scratch their heads when you pop the hood. They see the carb with the coils and get all screwed up. +1 for MSD. The pre programed pills suck and its very easy to set your own custom timing curve. Before I got a laptop I even ran an extention to hook my desktop computer up to the MSD box to update my timing. If I went FI I would have paid a ton of money to get a good tune, or get an HP tuner thingy. With the MSD and a carb I can tune everything myself. Its all in what works for you. I think if your car already had everything to support FI then that would make more sense to stay FI. With minimal modification you can make the carb work. Just my .02 though. Either way good luck with your swap.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a carburated LS section on this site. You might want to head over there for more reading about carb'd set ups.

Here is recent thread on the same topic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/carburete...p-my-mind.html
Old 02-15-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Forget the carb,bite the bullitt now and get your feet wet in the fuel injection.You will thank yourself later when you see how much better it really is.To me the fuel injection is one of the best reasons to go with an ls motor.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

or, you can be a confused goof like me, and do a little of both. I've got a running LS1 with the Edelbrock carb intake and Holley Commander 950 EFI.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So been thinking about it all day and considering that my motor is complete along with harness and pcm, I think the way to go its fuel injected. I know I won't get nearly enough money selling the ls1 intake, injectors, maf and pcm to buy the performer and MSD box, then I would need the carb. So instead of buying the carb setup I might just buy the FI tank and the lines needed for the fuel system. It might take more time this way, but at least I'll have the way I wanted it to begin with.

So Rock Auto for fuel tanks, need to check that out.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Go fuel injected.. You'll be able to run it when ever you want with no cold start issues and it'll get better gas mileage
Old 02-15-2011, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

So been thinking about it all day and considering that my motor is complete along with harness and pcm, I think the way to go its fuel injected. I know I won't get nearly enough money selling the ls1 intake, injectors, maf and pcm to buy the performer and MSD box, then I would need the carb. So instead of buying the carb setup I might just buy the FI tank and the lines needed for the fuel system. It might take more time this way, but at least I'll have the way I wanted it to begin with.

So Rock Auto for fuel tanks, need to check that out.
Thats the right decision,you will be glad you did.Once you do a good fuel injected ls setup you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

subscribed
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

definitely in for more info as well..

i had been planning on an edelbrock intake topped with a FAST ez efi... not the cheapest route, but covers the tb/inj/computer(tune)/pump/etc, and retains that 'look' factor.

that said I have a holley 650 sitting 2 feet from the car...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish350
definitely in for more info as well..

i had been planning on an edelbrock intake topped with a FAST ez efi... not the cheapest route, but covers the tb/inj/computer(tune)/pump/etc, and retains that 'look' factor.

that said I have a holley 650 sitting 2 feet from the car...
I hope you go ahead with your plan for the Fast EFI. I saw the post above on the Holley set up and also would like to know if it works well. I am interested in the Fast TB because one of my street rods has an engine compartment that is simply too cramped for the factory EFI and it is very hard to even work on the carb. I'm thinking of the Fast because it might solve a few problems.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rick Speed
Go fuel injected.. You'll be able to run it when ever you want with no cold start issues and it'll get better gas mileage
Thats what I want, drive it year long since winters here are not as bad as other places, except the past two weeks.

Originally Posted by SUPERBOOST
Thats the right decision,you will be glad you did.Once you do a good fuel injected ls setup you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
I hadn't done it sooner because I already have one, 2000 WS6

Today I grabbed the harness for the engine and plugged it in to all the connections, piece of cake. This is what had me worried and wondering if I should go carbed, but that's taken care of. All I need to do is figure out what to do with the rest of the harness, anybody know? Its the one that plugs into the engine harness, will that be needed?

Quick Reply: LS1 swap, Carbed vs Fuel Injected