Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have posted in awhile, but I'm ready to pull the trigger on a TVS2300 blower. I'm very torn between the Edelbrock E-force and a Magnuson. Any thoughts? There's a little bit of info on here and on the web, but mostly just peoples opinions on looks. As far as I'm concerned, performance will be about the same. I know people say the E-force is better at lower RPMs because of the long intake runners, but the Maggie is better up top. But again, probably about the same overall in my book.

Factors:
1. Price. E-force is about $5700 from Summit after the $500 rebate (I have truck spacing.....P/N is 15430). I'm waiting on all the P/Ns from Maggie for a "hot rod kit" for my application. They are emailing me that today and then I will call Summit for pricing. I could buy direct, but Cindy from Magnuson said Summit would be cheaper, but I'd have to call them with P/Ns and get pricing. I will update this thread with pricing as soon as I have it.

2. Looks. For me, I like the look of the Maggie better. I like that it's obviously a blower.....it's front and center. The E-force hides the blower portion pretty well, which is good and bad I guess. Anyway, aesthetics aren't critical for me, but a small factor I guess if price was close.

3. Performance. Again, I'm think it's negligible.

4. Reliability? Huge question mark. Who the hell knows.

I'm just going to run minimum boost for now, 6psi. I'm looking for 550HP at the tires, which should be pretty easy since I'm at 424RWHP now. Plus I think I'm pushing it on a stock bottom end, but supposedly the LQ4s are pretty tough.

My rear is still the stock BOP 8.2", so that'll have to be the next upgrade after the blower. On street tires, it'll probably be fine though. Drag radials? Questionable.

Stoked!

-Jeff
Old 11-14-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on looks alone I would pick the Magnusen . I have looked through the installation instructions of the magnusen , maybe you could look at both instructions before purchasing one , I am not sure if there would be any difference , JOHN
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nothing technical to add but I sure like where this is going!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I thought the Whipple was the hot setup?
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I thought the Whipple was the hot setup?
Great. Now I have a 3rd option to choose from! Thanks speedtigger!

Hadn't even considered the Whipple, but now I see they also offer a hot rod kit. Not alot of details on their website. I'll have to call them tomorrow and see what they have to offer.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting this thread - lots of great information.

My dad and I are doing a frame-off on a 67 400HO car. We just got the body bolted back on and we bought the front half of a wrecked 01 trans am.

Do you have a/c working with your setup? Or did you ever have it working with the 400? We are looking at american auto wire for a chassis harness (not sure if they were even around when you did your frame off) and their harness does not include a/c.

Also did you consider using a grand national tank with the g body straps? The new tank I got on eBay has baffles.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by callys
Thanks for posting this thread - lots of great information.

My dad and I are doing a frame-off on a 67 400HO car. We just got the body bolted back on and we bought the front half of a wrecked 01 trans am.

Do you have a/c working with your setup? Or did you ever have it working with the 400? We are looking at american auto wire for a chassis harness (not sure if they were even around when you did your frame off) and their harness does not include a/c.

Also did you consider using a grand national tank with the g body straps? The new tank I got on eBay has baffles.
Hi callys,
I've never had a/c on the car. I didn't consider the g-body tank. I've heard of using a b-body tank, but decided to stick with my stock tank and install an aeromotive stealth in-tank pump.
-Jeff
Old 11-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Magnuson 2300 is ordered! Should be here 1 week from Monday. Magnuson had a 2300 with truck pulley spacing that someone ordered but backed out on, so I scored it direct from them for a super good deal. $3950 for the s/c assembly. I'm still working on piecing together the rest of the kit, but I hope to have that worked out and ordered next week.

I'll post final BOM when I get it figured out. And will definitely post pics as the parts roll in!

-Jeff
Old 11-29-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Signing on for the thread. I also like where this is heading.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You will love the Magnuson. I have had mine since I did the engine swap. Smooth, reliable, quiet and it makes a pants load of power when you step into it.
Attached Thumbnails 1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap-004.jpg  
Old 11-30-2013, 06:42 AM
Launching!

Interesting setup old goat. So is that the truck blower? But with the air intake in the rear? And are you running the stock hood? If so, did you have to cut any hood bracing.

Looks awesome! Nice work. I'm going to go read your build thread now.

-Jeff
Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is the truck setup. I did need to trim out a couple of spots in the bracing. When I recently adjusted the engine angle I discovered that some of the trimming was no longer necessary. When I replace the body mounts I will most likely replace the pieces of bracing I removed.
Unfortunately I never did a build thread. I really suck at documentation. I have been in the business so long that I have become complacent and projects like this are just routine. I do have some pictures and I am willing to offer any help I can as you move forward. I think you will find that your install will just be a by the numbers thing and require very little major fab work.
Your biggest challenge will be routing the coolant lines and mounting your pump, aftercooler and tank. I was able to get 05+ Mustang tanks for radiator and intercooler from a big Ford dealer in RI that they were throwing away. These both worked out very well.
Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Thanks oldgoat!
Old 12-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Everything is ordered now (hopefully). If anyone sees anything I missed, don't hesitate to let me know. I figured I'd post my final parts list and hopefully help someone else putting together their own "hot rod kit" from Magnuson. Reminder: this is for L92 heads and with truck pulley spacing. P/Ns will differ with pulley spacing, but that's easy to resolve. Also, an interesting note....the new CTS-Vs and Camaros share the same pulley spacing as the trucks. I wasn't aware of that and I'm not sure what "new" means, but this is according to Magnuson.

1. 31-12-02-095, Intercooler pump, cap, wiring harness (kit), $303
2. 68-01-00-086, Heat Exchanger, GTO, $500
3. 81-00-57-005, Seal kit, tub to heads, engine set of 2, LS3/L92, $85
4. 31-14-59-039, SSR/TBSS tensioner, $112
5. 31-12-00-082, HD tensioner (recommended for higher boost, but I bought anyway just as belt slippage insurance), $189
6. 57-0-06-032, 6-rib pulley, 3.2" diameter, $75
7. 31-12-02-057, tensioner support, $35
8. flow-matched 850cc injectors (Deka short style), $688

$1987 total. I ordered from Supercharger Connection. Brian, who I think owns it, was very helpful. Overall he was cheapest, although he was higher on certain parts. I quoted the p/ns several places.

And from above, the S/C assembly, which is P/N 05-00-23-123-BL. I paid $3950 direct from Magnuson.

Also, I didn't purchase it now, but might down the road if I want more boost or more supercharger "whine". The 1:1 rear cog drive, P/N is 31-12-02-435. Cost is $350ish. I was informed that the factory 10-rib setup won't slip at lower boost levels and is quieter. Now sure how I feel about the quiet part yet, but we'll see.

I will be installing over the next 1 or 2 months and will document install, P/Ns, etc with good pics. I know it shouldn't take that long, but baby #2 is due anyday now so time to work on this will be an hour here and there. I'm sure I could do it in a weekend if I had a free one.

-Jeff
Old 12-05-2013, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found the intercooler hoses at my local auto parts store. I simply bent up some welding wire into the required shapes and matched pre-formed heater hoses. If I recall I have a total of 2 hoses unioned on both the in and out side. Have you decided where to mount the reservoir yet? I moved the battery to the passenger side and tucked the pump low on the inner fender with the tank directly above. One thing to keep in mind is the bigger the tank the more consistently cool you keep the fluid. The Mustang guys go to a huge reservoir on the Cobras. I think my tank is 2-3 litres.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
I found the intercooler hoses at my local auto parts store. I simply bent up some welding wire into the required shapes and matched pre-formed heater hoses. If I recall I have a total of 2 hoses unioned on both the in and out side. Have you decided where to mount the reservoir yet? I moved the battery to the passenger side and tucked the pump low on the inner fender with the tank directly above. One thing to keep in mind is the bigger the tank the more consistently cool you keep the fluid. The Mustang guys go to a huge reservoir on the Cobras. I think my tank is 2-3 litres.
Thanks old goat! I hadn't thought about mounting the tank yet. I figured I'll wait to have it in my hand to figure that out. I have a solid plan for the heat exchanger, but that's pretty straightforward. But a reservoir tank is definitely something I hadn't thought of! So you HAVE to run a reservoir tank. I mean, I agree it's a good idea, but is that Magnuson's intention? Or can you simply run with the volume of coolant in the intercooler, heat exchanger and asscociated plumbing? And do you have any pictures of your pump and tank setup that you'd like to share?

-Jeff
Old 12-06-2013, 06:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

To the best of my knowledge all of the Magnuson kits come with a tank. The Mustang Cobra guys have concluded that the 1 liter tank does not allow for enough volume and the fluid heat soaks too fast. I will take a few pictures for you. Moroso and several others offer tanks for this purpose.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Launching!

She's here! Now I'm just waiting on the rest of the components, which are due in on Friday.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Man that looks good. What belt drives the supercharger if you run the truck accessories? Reason I ask is that I have a 117" belt now with the A/C compressor in the mix. Is there a separate belt for the supercharger?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job bro

Quick Reply: 1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap