Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This was the only real panic attack while lowering it on. I didn't think this was going to work, but it does.....barely. I got lucky.

Plenty of room!

Tight!

Plenty of pulley clearance.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 AM
Launching!

Things left to do:
Coolant pump, reservoir, wiring, plumbing.
Throttle cable bracket.
IAT wiring.
Belt tensioner.
Belt length.
Intake tubing....simple mod to my existing tubing will do it. Just gotta add an extension off the TB to get out past the drive pulley.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you have any room to drop the engine any deeper into the chassis? I experimented a bunch to find a combination that would clear the steering and gain hood clearance. It still looks like you may need to notch the brace in front of the TBI. You might get lucky with a soft piece of thin silicone hose. The connectors I am using are too rigid to make a dimple that close to the mount flange without deflecting the hood.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
Do you have any room to drop the engine any deeper into the chassis? I experimented a bunch to find a combination that would clear the steering and gain hood clearance. It still looks like you may need to notch the brace in front of the TBI. You might get lucky with a soft piece of thin silicone hose. The connectors I am using are too rigid to make a dimple that close to the mount flange without deflecting the hood.
Unfortunately not. The oil pan is pretty tight to the cross member already. I'll have my new intake parts on Monday, so I'll be able to test it then, but I'm pessimistic. Plus the 4.5" silicone coupler is pretty thick....I think they are almost 3/16" wall thickness.

I'll check my tunnel clearance tonight and see if I can raise the trans at all, but I don't think I have much room. But if I don't want to cut the hood, I think that's my best option even if I have to modify the trans tunnel.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just chop and mod the hood brace a little we could always put that peice back in later if you want to go back to stock. Just cut then reinforce then ace hardware satin black. Cut cut cut cut do it! :-)
Old 02-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Build
Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Modchevelle
Nice Build
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by schlosser1
Just chop and mod the hood brace a little we could always put that peice back in later if you want to go back to stock. Just cut then reinforce then ace hardware satin black. Cut cut cut cut do it! :-)
Haha, thanks Josh! I just ordered a 30 degree 4.5" silicone coupler to come off the TB. I think that might take care of it. But if I have to, I've accepted the fact that I will cut the bracing.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:57 PM
Teching In

either that or put a block on the sc then slam the hood lol may look crappy though...
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Launching!

Made some brackets last night for the coolant reservoir and the throttle cable. I'm pretty happy with the coolant reservoir bracket. I don't like that the reservoir is front-and-center, but it needs to be the highest point, and putting it right inline with the intercooler inlet/outlet made the plumbing clean and simple.

Not much left.....just need to finish plumbing the intercooler/heat exchanger loop, do the intake tubing, and a few other odds and ends. The last 4.5" intake elbow I need and serpentine belt will be here tomorrow and/or thursday. Oh, and I need to update my PCV plumbing. I ordered a RevExtreme catch can for that. My LS3 intake was LOADED with oil from using the crappy stock LS1 PCV setup.

Coolant reservoir bracket

Just need to bend this bracket forward a little so the cable exits the housing in the center and doesn't wear a groove.

Last edited by 67 goat; 02-11-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Launching!

Should I paint those brackets black? I mean, I love the "color" of stainless (who doesn't?!), but black would probably look better in the engine bay.

Thoughts?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Teching In

Bracket looks awesome. Think black may look a little better
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 AM
Launching!

Hole for upper heat exhanger hose.

Grommet.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Finished the plumbing. Anyone know what that small nipple on the coolant reservoir is supposed to be used for? I just plugged it for now.

Coolant pump.

Lower hose thru the frame worked out nicely.

Radiator back in.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

damn good beer, quite jealous of the whip!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am pretty sure it is a vent for the charger coolant. You will be surprised at how hot it will get. That is why the Mustang and Camaro guys go with a much larger tank.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oldgoat69
I am pretty sure it is a vent for the charger coolant. You will be surprised at how hot it will get. That is why the Mustang and Camaro guys go with a much larger tank.
I thought that, but unfortunately none of the instructions I have (3 different ones) say anything about it. Plus where would you vent it too? If vented to atmosphere, you'd have to put a snorkel on it so it wouldn't leak, but that just seems silly. I can't find anything on the web about it. I'll have to call or email Magnuson about it.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Default It's alive!

I'm concerned about the excessive steam out the exhaust. I did have the garage door open and it was pretty freakin' cold last night. Normal? I do have one small port open on the manifold.....the boost port below the rotors. It's probably a 1/8 - 3/16" hole.

And it lobes pretty hard a few times on startup, then settles out and idles smooth. Did it pretty much the same for 3 startups.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Does seem a little steamy. Did it clear up? Sounds good!
Old 02-14-2014, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Intake tubing complete. Hood closes, but it hits. It was really late, so I didn't see what needs to be cut, but I'll cut the smallest amount of hood bracing possible.

I also played with starting, idling and off idle last night. I plugged the boost port, but it was still very, very surgy. It smooths out, but as soon as you touch the throttle it almost stalls again and then surges for a few seconds until it levels out again. In the last picture, that round thing on the angle with the yellow sticker is connected to a vacuum port in the rear of the manifold........that thing is working hard to smooth out the surging, and it does eventually. It's pulling that rod in and out until idle is smooth. Not sure what it is or what it's doing though. And if I open one of the vent tubes in the front, it raises the idle, smooths it out and pulls a TON of vacuum. I had my PCV valve connected to one of them.....all the others plugged, then just plugged the PCV one.....didn't make a difference. It seems like a vacuum leak issue, but hard to tell. My next step is to spray some WD-40 near the intake/head interface. Maybe the supercharger isn't seated on the heads all the way and leaking air into the intake ports. It looks seated, but maybe something isn't sitting right.

Any chance it's in the tune? I can't imagine at idle the current tune wouldn't allow it to idle smooth and be perfect off idle.

This is where I had my PCV temporarily hooked up while troubleshooting the surging.

Quick Reply: 1967 GTO LQ4 (L92/LS3) swap