Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'56 chevy. First swap need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '56 chevy. First swap need a little help.

This is my first swap so Im still learning about everything that goes along with it.

The car was brought to us with the motor installed but nothing wired.
I'm not 100% sure on what motor is in it. I looked at the chart of LSX engine identification but the only markings I can find on it is '421' on the heads. Ive been told its an LS1 between 1998-2002.. is that correct? Is the engine code marked somewhere on the block?

Any suggestions on fuel supply? Car doesn't have a fuel tank and I'm not sure if the customer will want to find a tank or get a fuel cell.. I just need to give a couple options.

Car has a 1 wire alternator and I was reading about whether to install a resistor because the alternator can't handle a full 12 volts on the 1998 model. I don't know the exact year of the motor though.

Im not to sure on this steering rack. There is the hard and soft line coming off the power steering pump of the LS1. Would the go the the two caps on this rack? Or will I need to get a new rack that will accept power steering?

Thanks ahead of time and if something I asked was already posted I'm sorry but I've been looking for awhile
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Is the car using the engine's factory fuel injection, wiring and computer?

On most steering racks, the pressure and return line use different sized fittings so they cannot be crossed in error. On GMs, the larger fitting is the pressure line.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Yeah factory fuel injection. Street & performance wiring harness and a factory PCM programmed by street & performance.

I'm not sure if that steering rack is for the bel air or if its been changed.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:33 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by john.starkweather
Yeah factory fuel injection. Street & performance wiring harness and a factory PCM programmed by street & performance.

I'm not sure if that steering rack is for the bel air or if its been changed.
On the alternator, I am not sure why they would go to a 1 wire if using the factory harness. I would contact the wiring harness manufacturer and see if the customer harness has been built specifically to accommodate the 1 wire. I know the factory computers are extremely flexible in the hands of a good custom tuner, so they may be able to just reprogram the computer to accept the lack of input wire. You should consult a tuner on this after speaking to the wiring harness manufacturer.

As for the steering rack, it looks like a Ford Mustang rack by what I can see in the obscure picture. Since rack and pinions did not come in american cars til' decades later, it is definitely not factory. The tri-5s had this horrible multilink/component steering system with a steering box that made them steering like a school bus. I know there are some companies out there that sell custom lines for this kind of swap, but I alway just mock up custom lines with 3/8 steel fuel line and 3/8 rubber hose, then take them to my local hydraulic shop and have them make custom high pressure lines based on my mock up template.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I also had a question about the radiator that is in there.

Left side:

These two are the inlet and outlet for the coolant?

Right side:

Theres 2 sets of threaded inlets.. what would these be for? transmission cooler or oil cooler maybe?

The transmission is a 4l60E. were they already set up with a cooler?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Old School Heavy

When you see the two coolant lines on the same side, it is typically what they call a "two pass" radiator. Some folks like them for LS swaps, but I they are not necessary.

As for the oil lines, they are typically for a trans cooler. While it may be for an oil cooler, you have to be sure because the oil coolers lines require considerable more flow volume. So, unless I had knowledge otherwise, I would assume they are auto transmission line inlet/outlets. Are there 3? One large and two small threaded outlets?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Teching In

No there's 4 total on that side on the bottom there is one identical to the one on top.

Is there an engine code stamped somewhere? The only markings Ive been told to look for was the '421' on the head.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by john.starkweather
No there's 4 total on that side on the bottom there is one identical to the one on top.

Is there an engine code stamped somewhere? The only markings Ive been told to look for was the '421' on the head.
It could very possibly be both trans cooler and oil cooler then. If you look it over, perhaps there is a manufacturer insignia on it somewhere where you could consult the maker.

I have not heard of any 421 castings. There is a 241 casting. The number will be on top of the head at the end next to the valve cover.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Look on the dr rear side of the block, right at the trans bh face..Numbers should be laser etched there.
If the trans is the 1 that was installed as the original, the same numbers should be on the flange at the dr side of the trans.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:54 PM
Teching In

Couple little updates.

Motor wired.

Raingear Wiper system installed.

PCM mounted.

Found an awesome firewall grommet from a 4runner.

Fuse box installed.

Dynamat.

Quick Reply: '56 chevy. First swap need a little help.