Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks 5512+LS1+AJE+stock steering shaft=SUCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Kooks 5512+LS1+AJE+stock steering shaft=SUCKS!

Like the title says it jsut doesnt fit at all. The rag joint on the stock shaft hits the first primary, and where the shaft meets the column it hits the last primary. It literally couldn't fit worse then it does right now. Looks like I'm gonna have to order $185 steering shaft from flaming river to try and make it work.

By far the shittiest part of my build and it just so happens this problem is keeping me from being able to drive the car because its ready to go.

Just wanted to let potential kooks customers know before they buy kooks long tubes for there ls1 swapped fox.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm using the same style setup but i did get the flaming river steering shaft. and even the flaming river shaft was a very tight fight right by the tube also had to cut the shaft a few times to make it fit right.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Teching In

You don't need to buy a flaming river steering shaft. All you need is a u-joint. I just went through the exact same thing with my fox. Here's what you need welded onto your stock shaft where the rag joint is located currently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steer...Q5fCarQ5fParts

and you will end up with:

BTW the ebay link is for a u-joint to fit a power steering style rack, manual racks have different spline count.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dman03GT
You don't need to buy a flaming river steering shaft. All you need is a u-joint. I just went through the exact same thing with my fox. Here's what you need welded onto your stock shaft where the rag joint is located currently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steer...Q5fCarQ5fParts

and you will end up with:

BTW the ebay link is for a u-joint to fit a power steering style rack, manual racks have different spline count.
hmmm my only problem is it appears that the top Ujoint is going to interfere with the headers as well so ill have to shorten the diameter of that one as well.

btw I am sending an email to kooks they want to see pictures of my problem areas. I dont have much hope since I bought them used.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Mine was hitting on the top and on the bottom also. What you need to do is when you cut the rag joint off keep as much of the shaft as possible, that way when you weld on the U-Joint at the bottom you can move the top U-joint up as well closer to the firewall. Remember the steering column slides in and out under the dash enough to allow some adjustment. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dman03GT
Mine was hitting on the top and on the bottom also. What you need to do is when you cut the rag joint off keep as much of the shaft as possible, that way when you weld on the U-Joint at the bottom you can move the top U-joint up as well closer to the firewall. Remember the steering column slides in and out under the dash enough to allow some adjustment. Good luck.
Thanks bud, im gonna order the flaming river shaft and cut it to fit. I was planning on pushing the column as far back towards the firewall as possible to i can clear the ujoint.

I will post what Kooks has to say about the whole deal.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same exact problem with my Dynatechs, I was thoroughly unimpressed.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RATBOX
I had the same exact problem with my Dynatechs, I was thoroughly unimpressed.
Yep unbelievable what they charge for the headers that are "engineered" to fit without a problem which is why people pay for them. Then they royally screw you upon install.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Yep unbelievable what they charge for the headers that are "engineered" to fit without a problem which is why people pay for them. Then they royally screw you upon install.
they built them around the flaming river steering shaft, thats why the stock one doesnt work.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
they built them around the flaming river steering shaft, thats why the stock one doesnt work.
never seen that anywhere actually, have a link?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they built the prototypes on my car about 4 years ago, made the fixtures and made a few sets and checked the fitment again on the car. i had my column pushed back as far as possible so the flaming river U-joint was as close to the boot for the column as possible.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt4malibu
they built the prototypes on my car about 4 years ago, made the fixtures and made a few sets and checked the fitment again on the car. i had my column pushed back as far as possible so the flaming river U-joint was as close to the boot for the column as possible.
Good info thanks man, sending the pics to kooks tomorrow, that would have been nice to know before i spent the money on the damn headers. Kooks never mentions it on their website which is pretty crucial since not everyone wants to drop 200 ona damn steering shaft.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Bringing this back from the dead. I just bought a set of kooks 1 7/8 for my swap. The u joint hits the primary that it goes through. I also have a flaming river rack and fits like ****! Any suggestions that I can make it work?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

I have a set of Kooks for sale

Quick Reply: Kooks 5512+LS1+AJE+stock steering shaft=SUCKS!