Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tach problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tach problem

hello I have a 1972 chevy blazer im puting a ls6 in it out of a vette I was wondering if there is any way to hook up my factory tach & factory speedo gauges
Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Teching In

O yeah iI Forgot the trany is auto if that makes a differnts
Old 06-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Teching In

no one knows
Old 06-10-2011, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Speedo? what tranny you got now?

not sure about the guages, ask LS1nova, he would know
Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

A Cable-X will run your original speedo. The oil pressure gauge can be tapped into the oil bypass fitting above the oil filter, or you can get a fitting to put it in the stock LS6 location, or if your cheap like me you can take the original LS6 oil sender, break off the black plastic part and drill and tap the aluminum part for your oil line to screw into. Temp guage, you can drill and tap the passenger head so the '72 sender will screw in, find another sender that has the same ohm rating, or turn the original sender down on a lathe to fit the LS6 head. And the tach will work with the tach resolution changed from 6 to 3 in the tune.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Teching In

I used a tail housing mechanical speedo drive conversion that I bought from Speed and Performance. My trans was a 4l60e. I used the guts of an autometer tack and had a sign guy made a decal to match the face of the tack. I believe I still have the artwork, I would share if you like. I also did the same using an autometer volt gauge. Looks like it was made with it.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Husker Mike
I used a tail housing mechanical speedo drive conversion that I bought from Speed and Performance. My trans was a 4l60e. I used the guts of an autometer tack and had a sign guy made a decal to match the face of the tack. I believe I still have the artwork, I would share if you like. I also did the same using an autometer volt gauge. Looks like it was made with it.

Not to hijack this thread, but how did you change the faces of the gauges? Looks like you changed the numbers on the lens for the tach too? How does one go about getting a sign guy to make these?
Old 06-13-2011, 06:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those gauges are flipping sweet.

Gotta love those Huskers!! Gonna tear up the big 10 this year.

Jags that run sell tailhousing kits with a mechanical speedo drive. not cheap, but I think about what the cable X runs. I seen a lot of posts complaining about cable X boxes so something to think about.

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/4L60_Order.html

Your other option is to replace the stock gauges with some after market ones that work with the electronic trans. Like Autometer or Speedhut. Some guys switch to GPS based speedos.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Teching In

ls1Nova71, I drew what I wanted in corel draw, the right clocking for the autometer tach mechanism. I then sent it to my sign guy with a sample of the right colors, he matched the colors pretty close and printed. He have very little to do, dont think he charged me much as I remember. It was 4 years ago. I do have the artwork still, my sign guy would probably even do the same thing again for you. PM me if you want.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Husker Mike
ls1Nova71, I drew what I wanted in corel draw, the right clocking for the autometer tach mechanism. I then sent it to my sign guy with a sample of the right colors, he matched the colors pretty close and printed. He have very little to do, dont think he charged me much as I remember. It was 4 years ago. I do have the artwork still, my sign guy would probably even do the same thing again for you. PM me if you want.
You lost me at corel draw. Haha! So I googled it, not sure I can do that. Will send PM.

Quick Reply: tach problem