Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSX or NEW 5.0L SWAP?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSX or NEW 5.0L SWAP?

Hello guys, I have a 2003 mustang gt and plan on swapping either of these engines when the time and money become available so right now I would like some advice. I love the body style of my car thats why Iam keeping it and its paided off, but I dont like the 2v in there so here we are.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally if money wasnt a concern id do a coyote motor, they are making over 400rwhp with just a tune and intake. You will spend a good bit more money however on the whole setup.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Cant say many people on here would say to go with a 5.0 over a lsx since this is LS1Tech. Just sayin. Mainly you need to consider what you want to do with your car. Then observe how much money it will cost with either swap and see which swap will give you what your looking for.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

^ Iam just looking for a honest answer not trying to have a chevy vs ford thing going on. I have respect for whatever engine or setup is best not just because it says ford or chevy. I know the lsx motors are strong but with the new 5.0 making 400hp its a toss up. Iam just trying to get some ideas before I start this project.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Personally if money wasnt a concern id do a coyote motor, they are making over 400rwhp with just a tune and intake. You will spend a good bit more money however on the whole setup.
How do you like your ls1 swapped fox?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would do an ls3 the engine it self cost the same and mod for mod will make the same prob more hp and def more tq! plus you will have lots more room under the hood and its lighter. Thats just me no doudt the new 5.0 is a great engine hell ive been looking at new mustangs but when comparing just engines i do think the ls3 is a better engine. Plus mods are cheaper to only have to buy 1 cam lol!
Old 09-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97ta383
I would do an ls3 the engine it self cost the same and mod for mod will make the same prob more hp and def more tq! plus you will have lots more room under the hood and its lighter. Thats just me no doudt the new 5.0 is a great engine hell ive been looking at new mustangs but when comparing just engines i do think the ls3 is a better engine. Plus mods are cheaper to only have to buy 1 cam lol!
Yeah buying 4 cams would suck lol. The ls3 would be a good idea. How much power does a ls3 head/cam engine make?
Old 09-26-2011, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

Not many lsx guys would know enough about a ford motor to really compare. I would say go test drive two cars that have the motors you are refering to and go from there. I dont have any bad thoughts toward ford because everything can be equally fast just depends how deep your wallet is. You never mentioned your goals or budjet for anyone to take into consideration or what you expect from either motor. If you want opinions you need to have something to go off of. No different than if I asked do you think I should eat a apple or orange. Im not trying to be a dick just giving advice.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ls1kbush
Not many lsx guys would know enough about a ford motor to really compare. I would say go test drive two cars that have the motors you are refering to and go from there. I dont have any bad thoughts toward ford because everything can be equally fast just depends how deep your wallet is. You never mentioned your goals or budjet for anyone to take into consideration or what you expect from either motor. If you want opinions you need to have something to go off of. No different than if I asked do you think I should eat a apple or orange. Im not trying to be a dick just giving advice.
It would be a street/everyday driver plus weekend track car. I would like to keep the budget as cheap as possible. I think the ls3 would be great due to the fact it could be stroked down the road to 400 plus cubes. I would like hp in the 500 to 600 range. I keep leaning towards the lsx motor being I think it has more room to grow as my wallet does lol. But really for right now just the swap probley ls3 I would be happy with until I can afford to start modding it. I posted this on a mustang forum and they didnt want to hear anything about putting a chevy motor in a ford lol. Thanks for any and all advice guys.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cant say many people on here would say to go with a 5.0 over a lsx since this is LS1Tech. Just sayin. Mainly you need to consider what you want to do with your car. Then observe how much money it will cost with either swap and see which swap will give you what your looking for.
Did I see you at fest? If so, love the car man!

Op... l92/ls3 setups are hitting 500rwhp pretty easily with mid size cam ported stock heads and ported stock intake. The initial price is much cheaper than the coyote as well as I'm sure they already have a lot of helpful parts for the swap.
That would be my top choice, next would be an lq9 with l92 top end. much more budget friendly and close to same end result performance wise.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lq9 is about half price as an l92... Plus you don't have to get rid of the vvt etc.. Much lighter on the wallet.
Youcan buy ported ls3 heads for around 1100 brand new.. Intake rails etc run around 300-400 or so.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lemons12

Op... l92/ls3 setups are hitting 500rwhp pretty easily with mid size cam ported stock heads and ported stock intake. The initial price is much cheaper than the coyote as well as I'm sure they already have a lot of helpful parts for the swap.
That would be my top choice, next would be an lq9 with l92 top end. much more budget friendly and close to same end result performance wise.
What is the difference in the lq9 and ls3? And why a l92 top end? Iam pretty new to the ls motors so Iam just curious. 500hp with a cam/ported or aftermarket heads is just up my alley. Thats why I love the lsx engines great performance fairly cheap or cheaper lol.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GT-CORDY
Yeah buying 4 cams would suck lol. The ls3 would be a good idea. How much power does a ls3 head/cam engine make?
I read an article in gm high tech where they did ported ls3 heads, cam, stock intake, bolt ons on a ls3 vette and made 513rwhp and like 480rwtq thats to the wheels i do remeber it being a decent size cam like high 230s low/mid 240s but it still had great low end tq and made awsome top end power. Not sure if that is the norm but i also read about a new 5.0 mustang makeing 500 to the wheels with head/cam/intake manifold but far less tq but those are peaky motors that like to rev ls3 is a more lazy motor doesnt rev as high but makes great low end. So it all depends on you like how do you like to drive would you rather rev your car high i know some guys love being able to take there car up to 7k+ me on the other and i love that instant power that you feel when the car throws you back in the seat. So just think bout how you like to drive and what your goals are.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 97ta383
I read an article in gm high tech where they did ported ls3 heads, cam, stock intake, bolt ons on a ls3 vette and made 513rwhp and like 480rwtq thats to the wheels i do remeber it being a decent size cam like high 230s low/mid 240s but it still had great low end tq and made awsome top end power. Not sure if that is the norm but i also read about a new 5.0 mustang makeing 500 to the wheels with head/cam/intake manifold but far less tq but those are peaky motors that like to rev ls3 is a more lazy motor doesnt rev as high but makes great low end. So it all depends on you like how do you like to drive would you rather rev your car high i know some guys love being able to take there car up to 7k+ me on the other and i love that instant power that you feel when the car throws you back in the seat. So just think bout how you like to drive and what your goals are.
I love the feel of down low torque but still pull on the top end. It will be a everyday driver so the extra torque would be great for city driving and wuppin *** lol.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=lemons12;15434347]Did I see you at fest? If so, love the car man!

Yes I was there and Im going to Indy as well with a few more swapped cars.

As for picking the right engine for a swap the lsx motors have a lot to offer for upgrades and they love nitrous. I cant say what the ford has for starting on a small budget and making it better over time but you have lots of parts to interchange with the many different ls based engines and it makes it easier to fit your budget. Some parts people dont want but its exactly what someone else is looking for but it all makes power one way or another. Go take a drive in a stock ls1 car and see what you think and you will probably figure out why everyone swaps a lsx into everything.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=ls1kbush;15434377]
Originally Posted by lemons12

As for picking the right engine for a swap the lsx motors have a lot to offer for upgrades and they love nitrous. I cant say what the ford has for starting on a small budget and making it better over time but you have lots of parts to interchange with the many different ls based engines and it makes it easier to fit your budget. Some parts people dont want but its exactly what someone else is looking for but it all makes power one way or another. Go take a drive in a stock ls1 car and see what you think and you will probably figure out why everyone swaps a lsx into everything.
I have been in a 00 ss (stock) but it still felt fast and pulled hard. Thats what gave me a idea for the swap. So now I figure if I swapped in a ls3 it would pull like a freight train. I would have my perfect car the looks of the stang but the pull of the lsx my perfect world haha. And it would be great to see the looks on peoples faces when I open the hood
Old 09-26-2011, 12:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

What is the difference in the lq9 and ls3? And why a l92 top end? Iam pretty new to the ls motors so Iam just curious. 500hp with a cam/ported or aftermarket heads is just up my alley. Thats why I love the lsx engines great performance fairly cheap or cheaper lol.
Price. Lol
Lq9 is a 6.0 and iron block and comes with 317 heads.. In that form its not comparable.. Swap an l92/ls3 top end on it. You are making within 10rwhp of an ls3 and weigh around 50# more.. For a big chunk of change cheaper. On a budget, its the way to go.
L92 heads are virtually identical to ls3 heads just a bit cheaper. Tsp has ported ls3 heads on sale.

If it were me on a budget..
6.0 lq9... you can always go 408 in the future
L92 heads stock
Ls3 intake etc stock
231/237 cam ls3l92 heads don't like anything bigger than that, and they are very picky about the cam specs unlike ls1/ls6 style heads so go with a proven ls3/l92 cam
good thing, doesn't take a large cam to make killer power. You can do a something like 228/235 and make 450rwho still and be an awesome daily driver.
Through a manual that should do 470rw, port the heads and intake when money allows later on.

Saw it over at the dyno, what did you end up putting down?
Loved the car, snapped a few pics. I was checking it out while the white one was up there.

*phone
Old 09-26-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=GT-CORDY;15434389]

I have been in a 00 ss (stock) but it still felt fast and pulled hard. Thats what gave me a idea for the swap. So now I figure if I swapped in a ls3 it would pull like a freight train. I would have my perfect car the looks of the stang but the pull of the lsx my perfect world haha. And it would be great to see the looks on peoples faces when I open the hood
A 6.0 ls3/l92 setup cam only would leave a full bolt on fbody sitting still, as in not even a race. Imagine the stock ls1 you drove/took a ride in with a 150+ shot of nitrous on it.
It would take an extremely stout heads/cam ls1 to give it a run.. port the heads/intake and an ls1 would need more cubes or some type of power adder.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Great info guys. Iam excited about the swap but I need to find someone to do it which is probley going to cost alot. I have talked to fastlane here in Houston but they havnt called me back with a quote yet. Where is the best place to find the motor/parts I will need? ebay/junkyard etc?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Great info guys. Iam excited about the swap but I need to find someone to do it which is probley going to cost alot. I have talked to fastlane here in Houston but they havnt called me back with a quote yet. Where is the best place to find the motor/parts I will need? ebay/junkyard etc?
If you're in Houston call up g-force motorsports, go take a look at their lsx mustang, some of the best people in the biz.

Quick Reply: LSX or NEW 5.0L SWAP?