Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silent Assassin '87 300ZX LQ4 turbo Project(updates)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silent Assassin '87 300ZX LQ4 turbo Project(updates)

Stock bottom end records look out!!!

I am going to start over cause my first attempt at this build thread timed out an pissed me off so I will do short to the point replies.

Car: 1987 Nissan 300ZX (z31)
current motor: 3.0 V-6 N/A
current trans: borge warner t-5

LS motor: 2004 lq4 from?
future trans: 4l80E from a dully with a big block recent freshening
Fuel injection: stock tuned

Is there a current record for a 6.0 without a cam change, head work and forged parts?

The premiss is to build a non assuming smooth idle street car to pick on late model muscle for 20 to 50 diet cokes a race and be able to drive all over Texas hitting random drag strips looking for LSX folks to hang with and build a car that hauls **** and is as drivable as my '96 tahoe.

Here is what the turd looked like when I got it.

Last edited by Wire guy; 12-08-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 AM
On The Tree

I won't bore you too much with the pre motor swap crap I did to this car. I will say this I fell in love the 5.3 fairmont story and think this car will be faster and will possibly make it to the Texas Mile.

I was looking for a gbody or third gen f-body to do an lsx project in and this junk fell in my hands. I had a 280 back in high school and with the inline 6 a K and N and flowmaster beat most of my buddies cars when I learned to launch at 5 grand and shift it like I stole it. I always like the 300's a little better and come to find out they have bigger rear wheels, mustang wheel patterns and stronger IRS rear ends. The z31 also has a larger tunnel and the radiator is laid down making a lot of room in front of the motor for turbos.

A buddy of mine name Tim host a little MotorSports radio show on the internet when high school football is not going as I cover Katy High School football located near Houston and nationally ranked every year.

Anyway this project will be discussed on the show from time to time like a magazine does. We will document road trips to dragstrips and the Texas Mile along with cruises and car shows.

We are going to test N/A then with nitrous and then twin turbos. We will then add meth injection and Nitrous in small amounts to this stock motor till it gives up on us.

Here is what the car looks like today.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 AM
On The Tree

Here is another pic of what the car looks like after 3 months of tinkering, painting interior panels, upgrading the brakes, lowering and beating the crap out of this V-6. I have a couple videos of that coming up stay tuned.

yes I putting gas in the back of the car. I **** canned the stock tank and fuel pump for a polished fuel cell and frame mounted pump off of a '99 ford F-250 that flows about 130liters per hour. I am going to add another one when the LS goes in.

Heres the Cell that I am currently building a box around as a fire wall and to keep fumes out of the car.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

The brother of the guy who I got this car from started changing all the interior from nast blue to this nice tan you see. Well he got the **** out of a 2 + 2 so the headliner didnt fit, the back plastic didn't fit, so I found a donor but it had red inner skin. Well I scuffed and painted all that didn't fit including the door panels. He didn't change the main harness out so the dash doesn't work and we will be buying the jegs digital set up new.

Last edited by Wire guy; 12-12-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 AM
On The Tree

Ok enough of the cosmetic crap. Oh wait let me tell you about the wheels. They are '07 factory ford Mustang silver bullets. The tires are Toyo 255/40r17" road race tires that I got for free from a buddy who owns a performance shop. These tires are a lot like drag radials and get hot and sticky

The brakes are '07 mustang front dual piston calipers, hoses and brackets that cost me a carton of smokes. i even got 75% pads with then and fabricated some brackets out of 1/4" angle and 3/8" plate steel. Rear are stock disk brakes for now.

Exhaust is offroad with 3" single flowmaster and 3" tail pipe. I used HD truck tail pipe to go over the IRS cross member then had a muffler shop do the tail pipe.

I pulled the motor off the shelf today and started inspecting it. It is an LQ9 out of an Escalade that had like 150 original miles on it and was totaled on a test drive. It has been sitting for about 6 years and got some dirt dobbers in it and some water so it will come apart for some new valves and to check the bearings and change the oil pan.

Here are some motor pics.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:35 AM
On The Tree

Some of the water damage

Yeah thats a tie wrap in the intake runner. must have happened from the wreck. There is a biger plastic piece melted to the head of the valve.

Last edited by Wire guy; 12-12-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 AM
On The Tree

Old 10-26-2011, 04:50 AM
On The Tree

Oh here is the intercooler I got for $20 bucks. Its out of a volvo and has the big 2.5 " hose ends
Old 10-26-2011, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

Here is a video we made last Sunday as a "before" type shot with the stock v-6 motor. Its not really silent but will be with the turbos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdVs7_Nqjx4
Old 10-29-2011, 02:39 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Aren't those 300Z cars heavy?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
You're thinking of the other body style (Z32).

The OP's, (Z31) weighed 3000lbs or less (depending on equipment and year). The Z32's weigh between 3200-3600.

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 10-29-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

According to the wiki:

2,888–3,027 lb (1,310–1,373 kg)
Old 10-29-2011, 08:08 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

That is much better than the 3700 I was thinking.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Great looking car. I didn't know that ab the mustang stuff, great info there. Keep working man, this car is gonna b awesome!
Old 10-30-2011, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like a cool build. Also from Houston area
Old 12-01-2011, 05:15 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the comments guys I haven't been to this thread in a while as Katy Football kept me really busy this year but since we got knocked out of the playoffs early I jumped right back on the build.

Your not going to believe the bullshit I have been through with this motor. Its all worked out now and should be in the car before or around Christmas. First of all the motor is an LQ4 not a LQ9. The original motor I was making payments on was purchased on e-bay back in '04 and sat on a pallet since. The dumbass who put it in storage didnt tape up any openings and in Texas we have dirt dobbers that will build little dirt homes in any dark place they can find. Needless to say I took the motor apart and it needed more work than I planned so I got my money back and told the guy I was buying it from I would help him rebuild dirt dobber home for free since I took it all apart. This motor had under a 1000 miles on it and is the one with the coated pistons from gm.

I got the money I had paid on that motor and found a motor that was supposed to be running and only had 70k on it along with a computer, wiring harness, alternator and starter and engine stand for $1400. I found a brand new CTS oil pan for $75 bucks with a pickup and when I went to put the oil pan on realized the motor would not turn over.

So we yanked the heads and found water had been sitting in some of the cylinders and the damn thing was just nasty. Like oil change every 10k nasty but not gunked up like an old worn out motor. The truck it came from had been hit and from behind and when I took the flex plate off realized it was pushed forward and kept the motor from turning.

I think the kid I bought it from new something was wrong and effed me but oh well I should have tried to turn it over before loading it up. I still got a descent deal seeing as I now have a harness and computer so the car will be fuel injected.

I was going to run the truck intake but I think I found a vette intake with injectors and rails for like $75 bucks along with a z06 cam and springs for $50

I took both motors to the machine shop today. I am having the newer block honed, jet vat cleaned, painted chevy orange with new cam bearings. My set of 317's are getting a 3 angle valve job, seals and the z06 springs. I am putting the newer pistons and rods in that motor with the seasoned crank and z06 cam (550 lift) and we are going to make some motor passes as soon as its running.

The other motor is getting a set of 4.030 SRP pro series flat tops with a set of h-beam rods and possibly a small cam. We are also rebuilding the 317 heads for that motor and may get a street port done to them. That motor will be black and will either go in the owners escalade or go up for sale.

Last edited by Wire guy; 12-01-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 AM
On The Tree

Here are some pics of the second motor I bought.

Here is the new oil pan. I drilled and tapped both sides with 3/8" pipe to number 8 hose fittings for the twin turbo return lines and made sure they were under the windage tray so not to spray hot return oil on the spinning crank and rods.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedtigger

This one should be under 3000k before my big *** gets in it. I am going to try and make it to Alabama in April for the first annual "stock bottom end" challenge and the class I am going to run is the street class where the only regulation is you have to be 3200 lbs and have a bone stock bottom end with the exception of after market rod bolts. Cam and heads are allowed except for the 6 bolt aftermarket stuff and any combination of power adders. I hope to be there with a cage and me in it by then. I am tossing around the idea of a 90mm single mounted in the rear to move as much weight to the back and a 100hp shot of gas to cure any lag issues. I actually want a little lag so I can keep the IRS for a while and see if with the 4l80e I can make some new IRS claims as far as the z world is concerned.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Are those returns going to be under the oil level? Isnt that the oil level sensor to the left their?

I always returned above the oil level....

Cool build non the less.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JAX04
Are those returns going to be under the oil level? Isnt that the oil level sensor to the left their?

I always returned above the oil level....

Cool build non the less.

They will be at the top of the oil when idling and under full throttle and while accelerating should be above the oil. They are so high I had to ding the windage tray on one side so it would clear the fitting.

I have returned oil through a hole drilled through the front drain plug on a fox body mustang and that was below the oil level until the car launched then all the oil sloshed to the back it was just spraying.

I don't think it matters one way or the other.

Quick Reply: Silent Assassin '87 300ZX LQ4 turbo Project(updates)