Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c compressor in a Fox Mustang with swaybar. With pics!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a/c compressor in a Fox Mustang with swaybar. With pics!

I just installed my truck a/c compressor in the Mustang. I wanted to keep the sway bar, so I figured out how much you need to lower the sway bar. I started with a 1.5 inch spacer, the compressor is about 1/2 inch away from the curve in the sway bar. then I put in a 2.0 inch spacer. That looks perfect. It gives you about 3/4 of clearance to the compressor and it does not hang down to low. the cross member is still lower,

1.5 inch spacer

2.0 inch spacer

I personally will be using a 2.0 inch spacer.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Nice, any more pics/info on your set up?
Old 11-11-2011, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Yep, checkout my photobucket. I eventually will be putting together a build thread.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good, I plan on doing the same thing. Any details on your power steering lines? Noticed you're running the stock p/s rack.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

thanks boostnut, For the power steering lines I am going to change the flow valve in the box, and use Ford ends on the rack and GM ones on the pump and get custom lines. I already removed one of the return tubes on the pump.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Nice that is exactly what I was planning on doing I just don't have the sway bar in yet and didn't know how far to drop it. Which condenser and dryer are you planning on using I have both and haven't decided yet which to use. I found a place that sells all the fittings for both and the gm compressor so I should be good. And speedway motors has a whole kit to go to the mustang rack and gm power steering pump for around a 100 with all the fittings and hoses
Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I had the pressure side of the power steering line modified locally for less than $25. I shortened the factory line from the rack and had them put the GM end on it.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by twinnedfox
Nice that is exactly what I was planning on doing I just don't have the sway bar in yet and didn't know how far to drop it. Which condenser and dryer are you planning on using I have both and haven't decided yet which to use. I found a place that sells all the fittings for both and the gm compressor so I should be good. And speedway motors has a whole kit to go to the mustang rack and gm power steering pump for around a 100 with all the fittings and hoses
I was going to use the Mustang dryer and condenser and adapt the lines to fit. Where did you find the fittings? I am planning to buy the Speedway GPM fitting to correct it the Ford requirement.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.coldhose.com/ they have everything you would need. Either buy the crimper or find a place locally that can do it once you have everything cut to size
Old 11-12-2011, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Very cool, I can crimp them at work. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try using mustang 4 cyl lines and making them work. On a 2.3 car the compressor is in the same basic location. Might make the line routing a little easier.

In my car I am using a sway bar from a 94-98 GT. the mounts are under the frame rails vs the little pads off the frame. provides more clearance and you don't have to use spacers.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chrome_Rust
You could try using mustang 4 cyl lines and making them work. On a 2.3 car the compressor is in the same basic location. Might make the line routing a little easier.

In my car I am using a sway bar from a 94-98 GT. the mounts are under the frame rails vs the little pads off the frame. provides more clearance and you don't have to use spacers.
Interesting, could you post some pics?
Old 11-15-2011, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be quite honest, I dont have anything mocked up yet. I just have a very intimate knowledge of Mustangs. On a 4.6 swapped fox the compressor will hit the factory sway bar, so many of the guys that are not building drag cars use the newer bars and drill through the frame rails and mount them that way. Also the bars have taller mounts that move the bar down away from the engine. I guess you could also adapt 4.6 lines to the compressor in a 5.3 swap...

Upper Bracket
Lower Bracket

Also found this picture that shows the spacing difference:
Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 PM
9 Second Club

well going to have to try the sway bar idea, I have a/c already just need better handling

Quick Reply: a/c compressor in a Fox Mustang with swaybar. With pics!