Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Firebird Disk brakes on 67 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Firebird Disk brakes on 67 Camaro

So I have some front and rear brakes from a 98 Firebird and am wondering if I would be able to mount them into my 67 camaro. I will be using the the original 10 bolt rear end and the original upper and lower control arms. Does anyone have any experience in this I know I may need to fabricate some brackets and its something Id be able to do.

The brakes are 12" rotors and I have them with spindles and everything.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to BRP web site.. they have the kits for both Disk and Drum spindles as well as the rear spacer to mount 4th gen F-Body brakes on a early GM Car. You can also find the kits on eBay. You only need the rotor (suggest new ones anyway), Calipers (may as well rebuild them), bracket and rear backing plate w/eBrake. You don't need the 98 spindle.

You have issue on the rear E-Brake, there are a few articals out there on different ways to resolve it, from make a bracket for the cable, to flipping the direction if the Caliper, to using two of one side caplipers (i forget which side right now).

I have the kit for the front on my drum spindle Nova, well get to the rear later once I figure out what rear to stick in their...

Just do a search on LS1 Brake Swap or Conversion.

BC
Old 12-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks. So I need to replace my spindles on the front then.
What website do you refer to?

Also what tire would fit on those rotors. Could I use my stock rally's
Old 12-01-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No. you can order the kit to be used with your original spindle, in ithere original drum or disk brakes..

www.brphotrods.com

here is the rear spacer
http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/mercha...gory_Code=BRK1

not sure where there page when for the front swap.. but here is the one on ebay for a disk spindle.. might give them a call to ask. but its the same as the one on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-1968-19...item2c606d91a8

Their are other vendors that will have the same type of kits.. as you know. they come and go on ebay sometimes..

I think you will have to go to 16" disk brake type of wheel.. I am not able to get my 3rd gen Camaro wheel on.

BC
Old 12-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Ok so from what I see its a very simple install. I believe I would be able to make that bracket myself if I could get dimensions or I might just do a couple test brackets.

So for the rear brakes all I need is that spacer? Or are there other things I need to consider.

I know the e-brake will be a problem. What master cylinder and brake booster should I use? Would I be able to use the master cylinder and brake booster from that 98 firebird?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Teching In

On the rear you don't need left side calipers on both sides because it is a 67. Only 68 and 69 had staggered shocks and this is the reason for using two from the same side. you don't even need the brp shim, you can shim it out yourself and the backing pladte will bolt right up. On fron you will need brp bracket and it will work with either spindle.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

click on my link in my sig
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Launching!

you can make it a little simpler by using a stock style disc/disc prop valve instead of the adj one i used
Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 AM
Teching In

So I would be able to use the 98 booster then?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by XedLos
So I would be able to use the 98 booster then?
let me research that real quick, I was talking about the prop back, i didnt change my booster, but I realized you are doing this on a camaro, ill go look at my friends and see, can you take a pic of you stock stuff prop valve and booster...
Old 12-03-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

i put the rears on our 69 camaro with no prolblems at all. didnt have to use any type of brackets either. only problems we had were the calibers wanting to rub on 15" wheels and needing longer wheel studs for our stock axles. Never did hook the E-brakes up
Old 12-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Launching!

im going to be showing how i did the ebrake in my thread in a few days, as far as the studs etc... i did the write up to show how easy it is and more than likely no stock 15" wheel will fit, some aftermarket ones do, but stocks dont for sure
Old 12-04-2011, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have drum spindles on the front those are what you want. All you need to do is grind the top down level or get as set of Kore 3 adapters or get some plate adapters. Some guys sell them for about $60 shipped. Next for the rears take the drums and cut out the center you will not have to buy a set of spacers. I made some adapters and used my original front pull brake cables. The newer boosters have to be adapted but will work with a little work. The early 90's front hoses will work as direct fits also. I used metric lines since I had them. If you need more info PM me.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Teching In

So For the front all I would need from the 98 car are the rotors caliper and pads right?

Quick Reply: 98 Firebird Disk brakes on 67 Camaro