Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to build a LS notchback...where do i start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to build a LS notchback...where do i start?

I see all kinds of threads about peoples builds and it's got me excited to start this project...but where should I start?

What year(s) notch is the best for an lsx swap? i like the 91 body style the best, but whichever is less troublesome i guess?

Im just looking for a mild street/strip setup...probably single turbo 5.3 or LQ4 with a T56 (if do-able). something plenty streetable that I can push into the 10's on the weekends....

is there a thread or link that i've missed for some write-ups I can look into?

thanks guys!
Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

Use the search, lots of info.

the first thing to do is find a car, if you like the 91 style, look around for a 87-93. 4cyl or 8cyl, does not matter. both have the same cross member. Front struts are a little different. 4cyl cars have a 7.5 rear end, you will need an 8.8.

I would personally look for a solid car, brakes and suspension can be changed.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zipster
Use the search, lots of info.

the first thing to do is find a car, if you like the 91 style, look around for a 87-93. 4cyl or 8cyl, does not matter. both have the same cross member. Front struts are a little different. 4cyl cars have a 7.5 rear end, you will need an 8.8.

I would personally look for a solid car, brakes and suspension can be changed.

Good luck.
Bingo!

I found one with a cage all ready installed that way I wouldnt have to deal with it.

Yellowbullet classifieds always has rollers for sale so I would look through them and see if u can find something all ready set up.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Good to know. I have been searching but I haven't found that 'one' thread that has all the needed info. Thanks for the help!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by phat_ridegt
Good to know. I have been searching but I haven't found that 'one' thread that has all the needed info. Thanks for the help!
I dont think ur going to fine ONE thread with all the info ur looking for. I researched for a lil over 3 months before I felt comfortable and had a idea what all I was gunna need.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Yep I kinda figured. I plan to pick up a car this winter and start building a motor.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

87-93 are all basically the same. 90 and up have airbags, bout it. As was said earlier look for a CLEAN car first, the rest will likely be changed anyway. I went for a 4 cylinder car because in general they are cheaper, cleaner and not as ragged out from the usual 20 folks owning it and raggin the **** out of it. At least thats what I did and have done on the last two Foxbodys Ive done.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:18 PM
On The Tree

Keep reading the hybrid conversion threads and also monitor Corral.net for some nice roller's. I am doing a conversion on a 79 Notchback with pace car nose in the coming months. I am doing a parts gathering bash at the moment This place has all the info you need but you have to do your homework and read, read, read. You will save yourself a lot of grief from others mistakes if you do the research.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not trying to be a smart *** but like i tell all my friends get a pen and a piece of paper and draw out a game plan....it will save you alot of headache and money in the long run....get your coupe body and then start doing research and then start making a list of what you to have when everything is said and done...hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Default 1991 fox gt

I am building a ls1 fox gt right now. I am doing it on a budget. The car came as a roller with a 8 point cage, 430 gear with a spool and c clip eliminators, long wheel studs, south side machine rear control arms and frame connectors. I have a friend that has a ls1 and a turbo 350 with a TCI 3500 stall converter. Our plan is to use a stock ls1 with a speed density tune and 150 shot of nitrous. The engine and trans are in and it should come to life soon!!!
Attached Thumbnails Want to build a LS notchback...where do i start?-stang.jpg   Want to build a LS notchback...where do i start?-ls1-stang.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm starting a 91 coupe conversion also. I picked up a 91 4 banger coupe that runs and drives. Already has welds and clean grey interior. I also got an Aje kmember/coil overs and 8.8 with metro uppers and lowers. For right at 2k. 400 in my 4.8. 200 on a used. Tr224 cam, ls1 oil pan 40. Ls1 fans/radiator 75. I'm still gathering parts but soon I'll start pulling it apart

Quick Reply: Want to build a LS notchback...where do i start?