Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options for an Aluminum block if already have 4.125 stroke crank and want 4.030 bore

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Options for an Aluminum block if already have 4.125 stroke crank and want 4.030 bore

If I can re-use my 4.030 pistons, what aluminum LSx blocks are available that can be bored to 4.030 without sleeving that would also work in a 1998 F-Body? (Is that possible on any of them?)

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seem like there are no OEM block that might be able to do that.. The 6.2L Blocks are already 4.06".

Might have to go aftermarket RHS or World Blocks?.. but maybe someone else has the answer your looking for.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the reply, bczee
Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Looks like I'll be going with a 441. Bought an LS7 block that set me back a ways monetarily; was going to use those funds for all the parts I was going to buy ... so things will get delayed. But, I'm moving forward.

So, I'll be re-using my 4.125 stroke crankshaft. Just have to find some 4.125 bore piston and ring set.

You know, I have to say ... I remember LS1Tech having way more people willing to chime in and give good-natured advice to folk trying to build up than seems to currently be the case. I have been out of the game a while, and being behind the knowledge curve, don't know all the pitfalls to avoid, or what compromises I can make without killing myself. I feel as if I'm asking a lot of silly questions; maybe no one is taking me seriously because of that.

But thanks to those who have helped.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A
You know, I have to say ... I remember LS1Tech having way more people willing to chime in and give good-natured advice to folk trying to build up than seems to currently be the case. I have been out of the game a while, and being behind the knowledge curve, don't know all the pitfalls to avoid, or what compromises I can make without killing myself. I feel as if I'm asking a lot of silly questions; maybe no one is taking me seriously because of that.

But thanks to those who have helped.
I agree, but this question would have probably received better response in the "internal engine" area than "conversions and hybrids." Most guys in this area (at least me) can tell you how to squeeze that engine in something weird where it isn't supposed to fit but because that's what we do for fun. Conversely I (and judging by the lack of responses, the majority of us) won't give advice on building an engine from the bare block because it isn't our specialty - I'll ask a pro and use a proven formula for that.

You wouldn't go to the butcher for advice on baking a cake would you?

Good luck on the build and I would love to see pictures and a video when it's done.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:52 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

GFWC, I feel the same way when a general rebuild/T56 issue is posted in Conv/Hyb.

Black, GL w/ the build. :beer:
Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed.. you should really post this question in the Internal sections.. once you get the 441 built.. We can then give you way too many comments, answers and even questions about how to stuff that 441 into something...

Good Luck..

BC
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 AM

Thanks, guys

Quick Reply: Options for an Aluminum block if already have 4.125 stroke crank and want 4.030 bore