Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions

Are these the correct engine frame mounts for a 66? The car had a BB before but i am about to do an lsx swap. These are welded in but are they in the correct location for any engine? If they are then i can start making my engine mounts around them or should i grind the welds off and bolt them in? I have no problem doing this either. I just hope i can reuse them if possible if not ill buy different ones or newer ones. I didnt actually see any for sale so dies anyone know where to get some or should i just buy whats out there but they do look different. Point me in the right direction but not the high dollar direction.....
Attached Thumbnails 66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions-20120204_165843.jpg   66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions-20120204_165857.jpg   66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions-20120204_165934.jpg   66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions-20120204_165920.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take them off . there are a lot of variables that will determine the exact location of the engine. look through my thread to see my issues .JOHN
Old 02-04-2012, 06:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who did that welding ???.. with that job, I would grind the welds off and remove them. Start from scratch.

Measure how wide they are. I have been told or read that the BBC are the same ones as the SBC, but not having any BBC to compare. I would not know for sure. On the other hand, to me it makes no difference if the are SBC or BBC, If you can get the correct engine mount connected to the adapter plates then they well work.

I would bolt everything together (engine, plates, mount and stands). Drop the engine in and move / adjust to where you want the engine to be, watching out for areas of contact, the pan to crossmemeber, power steering box to accs, firewall, steering ends, etc.

Once you are happy with the location. Mark the location of the frame stands. Remove the engine, then either weld or bolt the frame stand to the Crossmember. Done deal...!

For the two types of engine mounts Tall/Narrow or Short/Wide.. go to page #16 of this catalog to get the measurements, that well help you get the correct mount to the frame stands that you have.
http://www.energysuspension.com/asse...on-catalog.pdf

Keep us posted and good luck.

BC
Old 02-04-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the car like this but I didn't pay attention to the mounts..... BC I was thinking exactly what ur telling me. Bolt the mounts to the engine, mount the rest together and drop it in. Set it on the xmember & make sure everything has room to fit then bolt the frame mounts in. This sounds easier to do than anything. Ill check out that link when I get to a computer.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

That is not welding. A dog **** on there and they painted over it.

Seriously though. That is not correct and no adapters that I know if will work with that. The Edelbrock adapters use small block Chevy frame pads. The tall and narrow version if I remember correctly.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM
Launching!

I can add that I had a 66-SS396 car and that the big block frame mounts are completely different than the small block versions.Check with Ground Up Restorations as to which stands were correct for your application. Big block cars also had the engine offset towards the passenger side slightly. I agree with BC that you should grind off both mounts and the leftover slag or weld and start fresh with new small block stands.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its all going to come off, just another thing to add to the list to delay the swap.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Attached are imigaes of mounts removed from a 66 chevelle
66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions-dscf0909.jpg

66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions-dscf0910.jpg
Old 02-05-2012, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

65 skylark what mounts on engine & frame are you using? What oil pan? What exhaust manifolds or headers?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

65 skylark is "speedtigger" is that who you were asking? or me 67Skylark? speedtigger has his done and running he has a good list of items used for his build under his post.
I have just started, so nothing complete or set in stone. Modified F-Body pan, Doug’s headers and adapter plates, 1 in setback and redrilled frame to setback an additional 3/4 inch, right head is about 3/4 inch from firewall. Drivers side frame mount will be the one in the picture, rh is custom made so I can keep the truck ac comp. I'm running an LY6 with VVT so all accessories are pushed forward.
Ron
Old 02-05-2012, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im sorry i did mean you 67skylark. Do you have to modify the pan or could it not be? I pulled up dougs and couldnt find a body ls headers or adapters. What part numbers do you have?
Old 02-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1 pwrd nova
im sorry i did mean you 67skylark. Do you have to modify the pan or could it not be? I pulled up dougs and couldnt find a body ls headers or adapters. What part numbers do you have?
d3338
Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 pwrd NOVA
Are these the correct engine frame mounts for a 66? The car had a BB before but i am about to do an lsx swap. These are welded in but are they in the correct location for any engine? If they are then i can start making my engine mounts around them or should i grind the welds off and bolt them in? I have no problem doing this either. I just hope i can reuse them if possible if not ill buy different ones or newer ones. I didnt actually see any for sale so dies anyone know where to get some or should i just buy whats out there but they do look different. Point me in the right direction but not the high dollar direction.....
I can tell you when I changed from SBC to BBC in my 70 Chevelle and 79 Malibu I just bolted the SBC mounts right to the BBC and in both instances the BBC bolted right in with zero issues.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats exactly how it was for my sb to bb swap in an 84 gbody car. I used the same engine and frame mounts. I used solid mounts though.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used solid mounts in my Chevelle too. I bought standard location adapter plates for my LS (share the bottom SBC mount hole with the bottom forward LS mount bolt hole). I hope the engine just sits right in the hole and bolts up with no issues.

Quick Reply: 66 chevelle welded in engine frame mounts questions