Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building or buying a custom fuseblock - What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Building or buying a custom fuseblock - What are my options?

I am planning my harness routing and fuse/relay panel and would like to use the Current Perfomance Wiring fuse/relay center,click here for details. I would also like to integrate both headlight relays into the fuse/relay panel, but there are no provisions to do so with their fuse/relay center. This Bussman setup would handle it, but I am having a hard time finding a supplier and it is overkill for my setup - http://www.connectorconcepts.com/pro..._files/VEC.pdf

I know I could mount the headlight relays by themselves, but I wanted to see what other options were available. It would also be a cleaner install if everything under the hood was in one centralized location (fuseblock/relay panel).

The local junkyards are pretty bare around here, so I am looking at buying the pieces and building it, or purchasing an off the shelf piece. I know this may not be the cheapest way to go, but I am not going to cut corners at this point in the game. I also want a sealed unit so the build your own like the one at lt1swap.com is not an option.

Also where is a good place to buy reasonably priced 18 gauge TXL wire without a 200ft plus minimum?

Relays- there will be no main power relay
~ Ignition power (fused)
~ A/C compressor (fused)
~ Fan 1 (fused)
~ Fan 2 (fused)
~ Headlight low beam
~ Headlight high beam
~ would like at least one spare relay socket

Fuses
6 ignition powered (2 spares preferable more)
6 battery powered (3 spares)

FYI - Fuel pump relay will be mount in trunk and the trigger will be run to the relay. Power will be tapped into on trunk mounted starter solenoid.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run a painless performace fuse block but there is no relays in the panel i had to run them one the firewall.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM
Launching!

I made my own and it was pretty easy. Especially after looking at the prices others are selling them for and they didn't totally meet my needs. Look at LT1swap.com there is a tutorial on how to wire a fuse and relay box.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have used Current Performance in 2 of my swaps. I really like them!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Teching In

I have the current performance fuse and relay block, very nice. Also, just bought 18ga txl wiring from eficonnection. $20 dollar minimum purchase. Many colors and gauge sizes to choose from.

Jim
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by arthropraxis
I made my own and it was pretty easy. Especially after looking at the prices others are selling them for and they didn't totally meet my needs. Look at LT1swap.com there is a tutorial on how to wire a fuse and relay box.
That is a great site, but i know how to build the panel. I am looking to build something using better components than the unsealed Dorman stuff.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss
I have the current performance fuse and relay block, very nice. Also, just bought 18ga txl wiring from eficonnection. $20 dollar minimum purchase. Many colors and gauge sizes to choose from.

Jim
Thanks for the reference. Their per foot price is ridiculous, BUT they only have a 10ft minimum.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Launching!

I also am running current on one of my swaps and just finished a 2nd harness using their stuff on another. I would try calling them, they might make a modification for what you need or suggest something. They have always been helpful.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rod, I have just the thing for you to use. I'm currently building the same thing you are wanting to do. I haven't ordered these parts yet but will be soon. If you can design your own electrical circuit these may be the way for you to go. I'm short on time right now so I can't type it all out but look into Cooperbussman. Here is a link to their product catalog.
cooperbussman link

They make a panel called RTMR (rear terminal mini fuse and relay) You can set it up multiple ways but they make one that you can use 10 fuses and 5 relays in. I will be using this in addition to a Power Relay Module.
RTMR

Waytek has the stuff to order.
http://order.waytekwire.com/products...%20Protection/

BJ
Old 02-19-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
Rod, I have just the thing for you to use. I'm currently building the same thing you are wanting to do. I haven't ordered these parts yet but will be soon. If you can design your own electrical circuit these may be the way for you to go. I'm short on time right now so I can't type it all out but look into Cooperbussman. Here is a link to their product catalog.
cooperbussman link

They make a panel called RTMR (rear terminal mini fuse and relay) You can set it up multiple ways but they make one that you can use 10 fuses and 5 relays in. I will be using this in addition to a Power Relay Module.
RTMR

Waytek has the stuff to order.
http://order.waytekwire.com/products...%20Protection/

BJ
I've seen that panels, but it doesn't have enough relays sockets. Thats why I was looking at the Bussman 31000/32000 VEC panel I guess the other options would be use two of the RTMR panels.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss

Jim
Try DEL City, Waytek, or Terminal supply, better prices most likely

Quick Reply: Building or buying a custom fuseblock - What are my options?