Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 (LM7)/4l60e into emissions legal TJ

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 (LM7)/4l60e into emissions legal TJ

Just picked up the motor/tranny/harness this week from a wrecked '03 silverado 1500 4x4. Progress will probably be pretty slow, I've got a bunch of other projects going on right now too. I'm hoping to start weeding out the wires I don't need out of the harness tomorrow. It is DBW and I have the entire setup from the same truck.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Started ripping out the unneeded wires from the general harnesses on both the Jeep and the motor today. Had about 45 min and ended up getting the ABS and electronic shift t-case wiring removed. I kept the factory fuel pump/pressure sensor wiring in tact because I need the sensor for my swap and I have the factory fuel pump setup that I'm most likely going to use in my fuel cell. Still lots to do, but the wiring side of things seems almost too simple now that I've started it.
Yes I know

I'll work on getting some shortly.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Teching In

Got the 4.0/AX15 pulled out today and removed the front coilovers to get the frame to full bump so I can position the 5.3 this week hopefully.

Also got some work done on the wiring. This is all of the underhood Jeep harness that I'll be using (may even have some of these wires pulled out)

Pulled all this out of the Chevy harness (may have to pull 4-6 wires out of this to use)

ended up with this for the non-motor part of the chevy harness.

Now I just have to label all the motor connectors and pull the wires out that I'm not going to need. Not bad for just a few hours work this afternoon!
Old 08-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Haven't had time to touch this in quite awhile. Hoping to get back to it shortly, so I should have an update soon
Old 09-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Got the drivetrain positioned where I want it in the frame, hopefully tomorrow morning before work I can get the motor mounts welded in.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Teching In

Been awhile since I updated this. I got the motor positioned and mounts welded up. I've slowly been working on the harness layout so I don't have tons of wires that are too long for where I've positioned everything.

Here's some pics finally

I'll have to upload more when I'm home and have access to all of them. I've had to design a custom accessory drive as I have a custom steering shaft that wanted to be in the same spot as the power steering pump using the truck accessories. Using a combination of Jeep/Chevy/Custom brackets I was able to mount the stock Jeep PS pump to the driver side head. (standard TC style pump), moved the Alt to the passenger side head using a home made bracket setup and just have to finish up making a bracket for the new belt tensioner I'll be using. It's a Gates 38163 that is very common on aftermarket accessory drives for LS motors. Turns out that is a stock tensioner from an 04-06 Jeep 4.0.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Here are a couple of pictures of the overall project prior to the motor swap. Still have a bunch of other work to do to it that's not related to the swap.
Attached Thumbnails 5.3 (LM7)/4l60e into emissions legal TJ-p1020249.jpg   5.3 (LM7)/4l60e into emissions legal TJ-p1020243.jpg  
Old 12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Here are some more pictures of the motor swap
Transmission cross-member

Wire harness routing. Going to mount the PCM where the stock Jeep one was on the passenger side firewall

Power steering pump bracket

Steering shaft location and reason for the need to change the pump location

Front view of the accessory drive. I'm changing out the tensioner because I don't like how the modified stock one lines up when installed upside down.

Some details of the Alt mount to the passenger side head. All told I've got just over $100 and about an hour and a half into the new drive including the new tensioner I'll be running. Should only take another hour or so to cut out the bracket brace that is now cardboard and work out a bracket to mount the Gates tensioner

Quick Reply: 5.3 (LM7)/4l60e into emissions legal TJ