Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water temp gauge (autometer)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default water temp gauge (autometer)

ok guys...i've been reading and searching alot...but i think i've been misunderstanding what i've been reading or some shiet...

so it's been mentioned many times...that using the the passenger head reads inaccurately....

so many recommend the 98 ls1 3 wire coolant temp sensor...

read in multiple places online stating the 3 wire coolant temp sensor will work with factory gauge (with a lil modding of the gauge...i read the writeup on it but can't find it again)...or aftermarket gauges...but no mention of what kind of gauges exactly other then autometer or other various brand...

i didn't wanna tap the passenger side...did want to spend 10 dollar on a damn adapter with it possibly reading inaccurately...so i bought the 3 wire coolant temp sensor...went to junk yard and pulled the harness for it...but problem is...i have a full sweep electric and not the short sweep....short sweep has a 1 wire sender vs the full sweep which has 2 wire sender...

will the 3 wire temp sensor work with my full sweep autometer c2 gauges??? if so how can i wire it up??? i read on autometer and it says the full sweep sends 5v and the various resistance from the sender will determine the temp...

i tried searching before posting another thread but no success...i'm beginning to think the full sweep wont work with the 3 wire temp sensor....this sux ***** if its the case...cuz i done wasted time and money on this crap...in the home stretch but lil bullshiet like this is pissing me off...
Old 08-15-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

My dash has the short sweep Autos in it. I drilled and tapped the wp next to the alternator,[LQ4], and installed the sender that came w/ the gauges. Could you run yours this way??
Old 08-15-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellowbrother
so it's been mentioned many times...that using the the passenger head reads inaccurately....

why would it read inaccurately ?
Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oange ss
why would it read inaccurately ?

heat soak??? i dunnoe...just wat i've read...and multiple members on here and other forums said the same thing...
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
My dash has the short sweep Autos in it. I drilled and tapped the wp next to the alternator,[LQ4], and installed the sender that came w/ the gauges. Could you run yours this way??
u got a picture??? only spot on the water pump i see that can be drilled is the flat spot on top...i've read from the faq thread that people drill there for the steam vent line...
Old 08-15-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

heat soak??? i dunnoe...just wat i've read...and multiple members on here and other forums said the same thing...
i dont see the logic in that, everything is subject to heat soak under the hood, and the cooling system is pressuirized so installing the temp sender anywhere on the motor will read just about the same
Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by oange ss
i dont see the logic in that, everything is subject to heat soak under the hood, and the cooling system is pressuirized so installing the temp sender anywhere on the motor will read just about the same

i'm not here to argue one way or the other...cuz i personally honestly don't know...but i think the merv said on one of the thread that its probably due to hot air trapped in the back of the head due to lack to space for air movement or something...which affects the temp sensor...he then stated he changed to 3 wire sensor on the driver side and it now reads correct...there were other member challenging him also...like i said...i don't know...but the funny thing is...other people from other forum stated that it does read hotter on the passenger side...the true reason behind it??? i don't know...but there was no mention as to what type of gauges would work with the 3 wire temp sensor...well...obviously my full sweep wont work...or atleast i don't know how to wire it up to work...so i guess i have to ditch the effort and spend money 15 bux on a damn adapter or mount the temp sensor elsewhere...
Old 08-15-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'm not here to argue one way or the other...cuz i personally honestly don't know...but i think the merv said on one of the thread that its probably due to hot air trapped in the back of the head due to lack to space for air movement or something...which affects the temp sensor...he then stated he changed to 3 wire sensor on the driver side and it now reads correct...there were other member challenging him also...like i said...i don't know...but the funny thing is...other people from other forum stated that it does read hotter on the passenger side...the true reason behind it??? i don't know...but there was no mention as to what type of gauges would work with the 3 wire temp sensor...well...obviously my full sweep wont work...or atleast i don't know how to wire it up to work...so i guess i have to ditch the effort and spend money 15 bux on a damn adapter or mount the temp sensor elsewhere...
I have my temp sender on the passenger side and reads accurate enough for me...
Old 08-16-2010, 07:50 AM
Teching In

How much can it really be off. I have mine there. Car runs cool enough for me anyways, plus the fan goes on automatic so it doesn't matter to me if its off as long as its good on the pcm part..
Old 08-16-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

im just pissed cuz my efforts was for nothing in the end....one of those try to do as right as possible the first time...guess imma settle on the 15 dollar adapter and put it on passenger head....
Old 08-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Teching In

i did the passenger side first. it did read higher initially, but then stabilized to normal numbers after 200 miles. maybe the air left. works good now. fan comes on at the right temp as it relates to the temp gauge.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

I asked just about the same question on another forum and didn't get a straight answer. Other then using a different sensor then what came with my 97 S10 the guage will be off about 20 degrees.
I am going to put mine in the same location as the stock 2.2 and thats in the thermostat housing.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember that argument about the passenger side head reading hotter. I imagine it is possible, don't know. I also imagine the temp varies all throughout the cooling system, so don't know that it matters either.

Some of those adapters put the sensor pretty far out of the head. That could affect accuracy.

Just wanted to add that I tapped the side of my vette waterpump to install the steam vent. The whole pump casing is thick enough for a NPT fitting. Just don't try and set it too deep.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Junkie

im just pissed cuz my efforts was for nothing in the end....one of those try to do as right as possible the first time...guess imma settle on the 15 dollar adapter and put it on passenger head....
If your gauge sender is bigger than 12MM, you don't need an adapter. Send it to me and I'll cut it down and re-thread it for 12MM, as lond as it's thick enough. I have probably done a dozen of them for other people.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put my Dakota Digital metric sender in the passenger head, and left the stock sender in the driver head. The driver side one reads higher when I connect HP Tuners to it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
I put my Dakota Digital metric sender in the passenger head, and left the stock sender in the driver head. The driver side one reads higher when I connect HP Tuners to it.
Searching for confirmation of this as well. I left my stock sender in the stock location, DS front head, and put the Autometer short sweep in the PS rear head. It reads 190F. I didn't think I had a 160* thermostat, but one of the previous owners could have put one in there, not sure. I am going to measure it in a pot of water on the stove this weekend.

My search and data has led me to the conclusion that the PS rear head port reads lower than the stock unit due to the fact of the coolant flow. This is a traditional cooling system with parallel flow, which means the water pump pushes coolant through both banks in the block towards the rear. The coolant then goes up through the heads and returns back towards the front. This means the rear port would read lower as the coolant has not been around near as many hot surfaces as it has been if it were almost back to the pump. The stock unit is in the front and should be the hottest location of the two.

So, anyone have actual data confirming/denying this? If not, I may be forced to produce my own.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
If your gauge sender is bigger than 12MM, you don't need an adapter. Send it to me and I'll cut it down and re-thread it for 12MM, as lond as it's thick enough. I have probably done a dozen of them for other people.
its 1/8" npt or something...its only slightly bigger then the 12mm it seems...but too late...already bought the damn adapter...gawd i hate autometer...
Old 12-21-2012, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

I know this is a very old thread, but in case someone else experiences this problem I am responding. I have autometer full sweep with sending unit in passenger tea head and it is crazy wrong showing 220 after few minutes at idle when temp gun shows 140. Got new seņor and same thing. I know it is an air or steam poker and it is diving me crazy. Sucks.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

temp gun is going to read the outside temp of the head. That won't match the water temp. Or are you doing something else?
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbreaux
I know this is a very old thread, but in case someone else experiences this problem I am responding. I have autometer full sweep with sending unit in passenger tea head and it is crazy wrong showing 220 after few minutes at idle when temp gun shows 140. Got new seņor and same thing. I know it is an air or steam poker and it is diving me crazy. Sucks.
Your better off comparing temp to the sensor the ECM see versus using a temp gun. If you think its air, crack the sensor and bleed it.

Quick Reply: water temp gauge (autometer)