Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube headers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Long tube headers?

Okay, so when we want to run manifolds but have clearance issues, we often opt to go with the F-body manifolds. They are tight enough to the motor to clear everything in most cars.

So, I am wondering if long tube headers for a 2000ish Camaro/Firebird would still clear? Sure they are longer but they should still be as tight as the manifolds, right?

My car is a 65 Impala. Another guy on here is doing a 65 Impala too, and he was able to fit 69 Camaro headers. The problem with this option is that a new LS flange has to be welded to them, and I would PREFER not to have to do that.

Thoughts?
Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wonder how the schoenfeld headers would fit that are made for a 88-98 chevy fullsize truck LS swap. i have them on my bagged 96. the stay pretty tight to the motor & don't hang below the frame rails. maybe something to look into.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about ls1 fbody shorty headers? They fit my 66 chevelle, had to mod one tube but fit perfect. I'll probably cut the stock big *** flange adapter off and weld either a v band or just pipe where the flange is at. It's a big piece like stock fbody manifolds are.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lq4 in my 1971 el camino and I used a pair of pace setter long tube headers off of a 2001 camaro. They fit like they were made for the car. Didn't have to ding a single tube. The only modification needed is to aim the collector on the drivers side header straight back. All that being said I don't know how similar a 65 impala is to a 71 el camino, so not sure I really helped you out at all. LOL
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

I want to stay away from shorty headers because of the minimal HP gains.

Right now the truck headers from the Yukon alllllllmost fit. I would imagine that camaro/firebird headers will slip right in there.

I am heading to Carlisle tomorrow and I want to get some kind of headers. I THINK I can make F-Body headers work. Guess I gotta take a chance.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I,d agree with going long or not at all. Many have used the lower cost pacesetter headers in g- body swaps like mine. I,d give a strong guess they'd work for you. I'm personally considering the Hooker A-body headers, they may also be a good choice for you. I,ll probably get uncoated headers, whichever I choose, modify if /where needed & have coated.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
I,d agree with going long or not at all. Many have used the lower cost pacesetter headers in g- body swaps like mine. I,d give a strong guess they'd work for you. I'm personally considering the Hooker A-body headers, they may also be a good choice for you. I,ll probably get uncoated headers, whichever I choose, modify if /where needed & have coated.
I am thinking of getting the pacesetters. The only thing stopping me is that the steering linkage in the Impala is behind the crossmember and I am afraid of it hitting. Is the steering in the G-bodies in the front or rear?
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, I found some pictures on summitracing.com and carefully sized them in photshop and overlaid them. The silver ones in the rear I know will fit my car (a guy I know used them on the exact same car) and the black ones are for a 98-02 Camaro.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers?