Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 need a/c bracket

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 need a/c bracket

I have a 05 4.8 ls1 that I installed in a 55 belair. When I installed it I was not planning on running a/c a month ago. Well know that we have record temps and it runs and drives great I would like to add a/c. I also have a 3 year old son that loves riding in it and I also have a 2 day old daughter. So a/c would be nice. I have located a under the dash self containted units from a club member for a very good price. But I need a a/c compressor and mount. I know the compressor will not clear down under the motor do to the crossmember. I have seen were kwik perf makes a top bracket but the 200.00 it cost for it only kills the budget a/c idea. I am thinking I can build the whole a/c setup for 200.00-300.00. I am looking for pics and Ideas on how to make a mid a/c mount like right above the heater hose ports. I am running all truck brackets and am not running a/c.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's too bad the truck A/C compressor won't work. They are really small and sit really far forward (towards the radiator.)
Old 07-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

i have a ls1 2002 ws6 i just took ac and mount off--

i think i have the mount for a 06 vette ls2 as well -- i have to see if i have the ac compressor as well.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

Everything I have read the stock truck a/c compressor is not the best to use on a aftermarket a/c setup since the compressor is vairable.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by abadbowtie
Everything I have read the stock truck a/c compressor is not the best to use on a aftermarket a/c setup since the compressor is vairable.
I thought trucks were fixed displacement and f-body were variable.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Not meaning to high jack here but if you don't use the 2002 bracket offer I need a f body ac bracket
Old 07-05-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The trucks use the Denso fixed displacement compressors. The ones in the LS1 cars (Corvette, F-body, etc) were variable displacement - I think they were V-7s.

I bought an 2009-12 CTS-V compressor and it is a Denso fixed displacement unit. I think GM moved back to fixed displacement on most of their LS-based vehicles in the mid 2000's.

BTW, I have a like-new (less than 100 miles) truck A/C bracket and tensioner if you need one. I think I have the mounting bolts as well.

Originally Posted by abadbowtie
Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

I have a truck braket and tensior I just don't have a compressor to even try down there. I am sure it will not go with out pulling the motor back out and notching the frame down there to make it fit. I will see how tight just the compressor bracket is but over on trifive.com if I read it right the newer brackets do not use tensior or something like that so wondering if they are smaller.

Quick Reply: ls1 need a/c bracket