Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which k-member do you prefer?
Team Z
24.36%
AJE
58.97%
UPR
11.54%
PA Racing
5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Fox LS-swap k-member options...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Factory 1991 control arms with AJE and zero issues. They bolted right up.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I picked up an AJE k-member off a guy on eBay for $300 shipped to my door with motor mounts. Brand new. Was not my ideal choice, but the price was right. After a close look at the construction, I definitely think there are much better k-members out there. I have a Maximum Motorsports k-member in the garage and the quality of the AJE is a joke compared to the MM. The welds on the AJE look sloppy. There is a lot of slag left on the metal components and they just spray over it. The k-member is also heavier than I would have expected. The UPS box said 39 lbs and the packing materials couldn't have weighed more than 3-4 lbs. The AJE will work, but if I had seen the quality of an AJE before I bought it, I definitely would have gone with a Team Z instead. UPR and PA aren't bad pieces either, but the uncertainty of the fitment of the Dynatech headers steered me away from them.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Teching In

I have a team Z, very nice quality. Only problem is that it will not work with a stock fbody oil pan.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whaaaaat? I thought that pan worked with everything?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Teching In

Nope stock fbody pan hits the crossmember direcly under the engine. Will not work.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by boostnut
FWIW, I'm running factory 04 cobra control arms with my AJE setup. Also using coilovers, so no spring perchs.
im running 03 cobra control arms on my 86 coupe with the AJE K-member with coil springs with the AJE perches. it works and rides great with the Eibach ProLine springs.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by willys_truck
I have a team Z, very nice quality. Only problem is that it will not work with a stock fbody oil pan.
Nope stock fbody pan hits the crossmember direcly under the engine. Will not work.
Have you set the engine in the car yet to see how low the truck pan sits when the car is on the ground?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Teching In

I plan on it this weekend if my converter comes in, I will post a pic. I did hang the kmember on the engine with it sitting on the stand, the pan hung down about 1" below the bottom of the kmember.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 09-14-2012, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried the truck pan and the gmpp conversion pan and both were the lowest point on the car. They hung down about an inch below my subframe connectors. I am looking for an fbody pan now to try out with the aje. Problem is people have gotten real proud of them. I could buy a Moroso or Canton for what people want for a used fbody pan.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep us posted ...im going aje instead of "brp i cant get in touh w/them"
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaywill
Keep us posted ...im going aje instead of "brp i cant get in touh w/them"
They were probably at the LSX fest.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dmracing
They were probably at the LSX fest.
hey musta been there 2weeks lol !!!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I plan on it this weekend if my converter comes in, I will post a pic. I did hang the kmember on the engine with it sitting on the stand, the pan hung down about 1" below the bottom of the kmember.
Any news on the oil pan?? Heard some ppl use cts-v pan, would that work better?
Old 10-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Launching!

Will the stock control arms bolt in the team z k member? And will the steering shaft be an issue. Also what oil pan can be used with the team z unit.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chacho44
Will the stock control arms bolt in the team z k member? And will the steering shaft be an issue. Also what oil pan can be used with the team z unit.
I'm curious to know about the oil pan as well. About to order my Team-Z K-member.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Teching In

This is Dave Zimmerman I am the owner of Team Z Motor sports, Someone sent me a link to this thread.
I was un aware that the F body pan wouldn't fit until a short while ago, so we are working on a fix.
I would like to explain how we went about building this K member. We used a LSX block with a Morosso pan, we did this swap for a company that builds LS crate motors for GM. When we developed the mount system we basically put the engine where we wanted it to be based on our experience with fox body cars over the last 15 years, there were some compromises but we placed the engine where we felt it would work best in a fox body.
I have to take some blame on the pan issue I'm so used to the Mustang culture, nobody runs a stock pan on a small block ford because they pretty much suck...LOL..Had I known the F body pan was the hot ticket I would have made sure it would work. That's My bad we don't get enough LS based engines through our shop, if we had I would have defiantly taken the F body pan into consideration. We will develop a mount the will allow the use of the F body pan in the next couple of weeks.
I do have a question though What is the up side of the F body pan and why is the truck pan bad? Excuse my ignorance, we get allot of GM engines through here but all of them use aftermarket pans. My main concern is building the best product for the money with the best fit!

Thanks Dave @ Team Z
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good info Dave. Thanks!! Would you happen to have any more info on which pan it is designed around?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:05 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TeamZmotorsports
I do have a question though What is the up side of the F body pan and why is the truck pan bad? Excuse my ignorance, we get allot of GM engines through here but all of them use aftermarket pans. My main concern is building the best product for the money with the best fit!

Thanks Dave @ Team Z
Upside of the F body pan is ground clearance. The truck pan hangs 1 1/2 - 2" below the K member. I have also seen a lot of guys use the CTS-V pan. Not sure of the difference, I think the sump is a little farther back from the front.

If it helps, when I was reading up on my swap, most of the guys were using F body or CTS-V pans. So if you can get your hands on a CTS-V pan, I'd try it too with your new mounts, if not, just note on your site what pans are known to work.

Thanks for making us parts.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TxFireman1972
Good info Dave. Thanks!! Would you happen to have any more info on which pan it is designed around?
I will try to get a part # on that pan!

Quick Reply: Fox LS-swap k-member options...