Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which k-member do you prefer?
Team Z
24.36%
AJE
58.97%
UPR
11.54%
PA Racing
5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Fox LS-swap k-member options...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow Fox LS-swap k-member options...

I'd like to compare the options we have for LS-swap k-members in fox body mustangs. Here's a few things I'd like to start with:
  • Lets consider this comparison to be relevant for a streetable drag car.
  • I have a set of Dynatech swap headers. I know that Kooks and BRP also make headers for this, but for the sake of comparison, lets stick to the Dynatechs. Heck, thats what most people run anyway!
  • There are multiple sources that offer adapter plates to mate a LS block to a 4.6 k-member. You can even install a LS block on to a stock k-member with these adapters, but the Dynatech headers wont clear.
  • A very popular option is AJE. For my own personal reasons, I am choosing to not run an AJE k-member. To be fair, I will include them in this comparison becasue they are a very large presence in the LS swap community.
  • I'm including UPR in the comparison for the same reason, they have a huge presence in the mustang community. They offer an adapter mount to mate a LS block to a 4.6 k-member. They are also they only company to offer a 4130 k-member at this price level. However, I have not read anything about someone using this k-member in a swap, so I don't know if the headers clear.

Team Z:

metal matrix k-member $289
motor mounts $89
control arms (if needed) $269
kit: metal matrix k-member, 4130 arms, coil overs $739 + mounts $89= $828

PA racing:

mild steel k-member & mounts: $389
kit: mild steel k-member & mounts, 4130 arms, coil overs $799 w/4130 k-member $909

UPR products:

4130 4.6 k-member: $369
LS swap adapter plates & 4.6 poly mounts $159
kit: 4130 k-member, 4130 arms, coil overs $729 + mounts $159= $888

AJE:

mild steel k-member: $280
motor mounts: $69
mild steel arms (no 4130 avail.): $279
kit: mild steel k-member, mounts, mild steel arms, coil overs $799

Please contribute your experience and/or opinions with these k-members.

AJE and Team Z are said to work with Dynatech headers, do you agree? Any experience if the PA racing or UPR k-member works with these headers as well?

Is it possible on any of these k-members to run a stock control arm and have it clear the headers?

I also would like to hear of any other problems you guys have had with running these k-members. I think we can omit steering shaft to header clearance issues, that seems to be quite obvious if you have done any sort of reading on this swap.

Last edited by speedshifter; 08-10-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

If weight is somthing you are worried/considering I would do the UPR cause it is chromoly and is 15+ lbs differance between mild steel. My upr chromoly k member on my 96 Cobra is lighter than a curl bar. I know team z does a chromoly k member, but I do not know if it is for the ls fox k member. I know they offer the fox k member for sbf in chromoly, but know sure for the lsx's.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Good info! I didn't know there was that much weight difference in the k-member. Personally, I'm concerned more about strength over weight. Its a notchback, light enough as it is. I'm not gonna cry over the weight of stock control arms, but 15lbs off a k-member and added strength is nice!
Old 08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might want to throw in QA1 as well. I can give some experience on that one.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Don't quote me just yet, but I read a website that said Dynatech headers do not fit with the QA1 k-member
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not to hijack, but since this is about Dynatech headers, it would be nice to identify where exactly the Dynatechs interfere with the various stock k-members while running 4.6L motor mounts.

I already know about welding ls flanges to 351 headers, but it would be nice to have an option to modify the stock k-member instead of modifying headers.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by usdmholden
Not to hijack, but since this is about Dynatech headers, it would be nice to identify where exactly the Dynatechs interfere with the various stock k-members while running 4.6L motor mounts.

I already know about welding ls flanges to 351 headers, but it would be nice to have an option to modify the stock k-member instead of modifying headers.
I wouldnt run a stock k-member unless you absoulty had too. And, if you are I would rebuild the whole front end and all the bushings if you are going to drag race the car and have it up over 120-130+mph in the 1/4. The suspension is 20+ years old

Originally Posted by Sarg
Might want to throw in QA1 as well. I can give some experience on that one.
Dont run a QA1 the fitment on them is ****, my friend bought one and now we are trying to sell it. Everything on it was off. I dont recommend you going that route.

I use to think QA1 Had good products until I got farther and farther in to drag racing and then after seeing the valves blow out of struts and the **** member we got from them. I would recommend to stay away. if you want a serious good k member and arent afriad to fork over cash hands down team z chromoly call them and have it done and/or a afco k member chromoly. Afco is top notch drag products.

Last edited by 99Ls1fever; 08-07-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Personally I could care less about long tube fitment as I am going turbo. But I know the engine placement on the QA1 with solid mounts and adapters was no good.

I now have a AJE sitting in my garage that just arrived, I will let you guys know my impressions.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sarg
Personally I could care less about long tube fitment as I am going turbo. But I know the engine placement on the QA1 with solid mounts and adapters was no good.

I now have a AJE sitting in my garage that just arrived, I will let you guys know my impressions.
I have heard nothing but good things about the AJE Lsx K-Member, A bunch of people on Yellowbullet are running them I think there is a thread with 10 or more people who were using them. I do believe it is a mild steel K-Member. Ill have to look for the thread if you guys are interested but they all are turbo cars
Old 08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Here is a Team Z write up on The Turbo Forum
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/su...mber-fox-body/
Old 08-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Launching!

i have the 4.6 mounts, adapters and K-member kit from UPR...didnt pay anywhere near retail since im a dealer
Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

How did you like it? fitment, firewall clearance, etc do you have pics? the following usually helps us out more...
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
I have heard nothing but good things about the AJE Lsx K-Member, A bunch of people on Yellowbullet are running them I think there is a thread with 10 or more people who were using them. I do believe it is a mild steel K-Member. Ill have to look for the thread if you guys are interested but they all are turbo cars
Got it here at the house and seems to be a nice piece. Light as hell compared to my QA1 it seems. I'll give more impressions when I have time to slap it in the car.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

There is not a 15lb difference between a moly and mild steel k member.

I have the AJE and it works. Would by a team z if buying today. Way better quality control on team z stuff.

Also a Team Z is a metal matrix that is lighter than mild steel with but not the cost of moly.

Tim
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Launching!

So if you have the AJE k member, what long tubes do I need to buy if running the stock control arms? Or are there any long tubes you can run without changing out everything?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Teching In

When I bought my team z k-member for my swap, Dave Z told me there was only a 3lb weight difference between there metal matrix and chromoly k-member.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by turboLSXstang
When I bought my team z k-member for my swap, Dave Z told me there was only a 3lb weight difference between there metal matrix and chromoly k-member.
Thats flipping good!
Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

I'm using an AJE kmember with kooks long tubes fits great
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

So it still seems the AJE is lighter and looking at them side by side it is pretty easy to see why. The QA1 is a bit more robust and uses heavier/larger tubing. This is a good and a bad thing I guess. The fitment on the AJE definitely seemed much better than the QA1. As soon as I get my motor mounts I am going to plop in the mock block and see how everything looks.

Some side by side of the AJE vs the QA1:

And the AJE installed

Old 08-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Launching!

I'm running qa1 k and a arms with home made mounts. Have had no problems. Truck mani's running forward with no clearance issues other than having to cut off sway bar mounts. But there is no way around that in this type of setup.

Quick Reply: Fox LS-swap k-member options...