Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a 200-4r? Got a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone running a 200-4r? Got a few questions.

Well I did my homework, got everything together, and attempted to bolt my engine and trans together today. It was a failure. I got the trans bolted up, but the torque converter is a ways off of the flexplate. The engine is an LQ4, with the 4l80 flexplate. From what I understood, the 4l80 flexplate was spaced away enough to bolt to an older style torque converter. The flexplate is a dual bolt pattern. The outer bolt holes are raised, but don't line up with the torque converter bolt holes. The inner bolt holes are flat against the flex plate. The raised holes look to be a good half inch away from the converter, with the inner flat holes further than that. I can pull the converter out of the trans and make it meet up to the flexplate, but I don't feel comfortable pulling it out that far if I can avoid it.

Anyway, what flexplate are you 2004r guys running? Did you have to pull your converter out any to get it to meet the flexplate?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 200.....

Of all the people I know running this trans, on ANY engine, they all took a huge dump..... this low HP motors, the only one that kind of lived had a ton of money thrown at it, not even worth the effort you are going thru... my .o2
Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by oldngray
Of all the people I know running this trans, on ANY engine, they all took a huge dump..... this low HP motors, the only one that kind of lived had a ton of money thrown at it, not even worth the effort you are going thru... my .o2
I did a lot of research on the trans before I went this route. It is a Bowtie Overdrive, rated for 500hp, and warranted against defects and failure. It is far from a stock trans. Pretty much everything on the inside is billet, hardened, or heavier duty than stock.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Using the gm spacer? Need also to support converter center snout
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just used the gm spacer and a flat flexplate. Seemed fine. Plan to take it out next summer though and either go 4l80 or t56. The 200-4r just isn't worth the trouble it brings.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it a long or short crankshaft in that LQ4?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are lots of 200R4's running mid nines in 3700# GN's, just mosey on over to turbobuick.com. I have two of these trannies in my cars (neither close to the 9's) and have never had a lick of trouble from either. With the standard crank, you will need the spacer, flat flexplate, and 6 new (longer) bolts. Also plan on wallowing out the converter bolt holes in the 'plate.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

I just used the same setup that was on the LQ4 with the 4l80. I am assuming it is the standard crank since it's an 05 model LQ4. It looked like there was a small spacer built onto the flat flexplate. I will take it back off and make sure there is a spacer on it. Looks like I need to remove it anyway to elongate the bolt holes. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jwatts
I just used the same setup that was on the LQ4 with the 4l80. I am assuming it is the standard crank since it's an 05 model LQ4. It looked like there was a small spacer built onto the flat flexplate. I will take it back off and make sure there is a spacer on it. Looks like I need to remove it anyway to elongate the bolt holes. Thanks for the input guys.
The "standard" crank is nearly flush with the rear cover, while the rare "long" crank sticks out almost a half inch. The spacer locates and supports the converter snout in addition to maintaining the correct spacing.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually I've used the TCI 399753 Flexplate kit, solves the problem!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

I will double check, but I am almost positive it has the standard crank. It was supposed to be from an 05 express van. I know it had the 317 heads (01? and up) and the harness had blue and green connectors (03 and up). I will check and see just how far it sticks past the rear cover and make sure though.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bad info here. A 200-4R can be built to hold quite a bit of horse power without spending a ton of money on it. You just have to know where to spend the money that do invest into them. Mine is 6 years old and has always been abused and still works great.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Launching!

I did a lot of research on the trans before I went this route. It is a Bowtie Overdrive, rated for 500hp, and warranted against defects and failure. It is far from a stock trans. Pretty much everything on the inside is billet, hardened, or heavier duty than stock.
Glad you did all your research, I helped a friend setup a streetrod with one of those Bowtie transmissions, we used the tailshaft houing from the Bowtie on my empty mockup case, it had residue in it like you find in your solvent tank...it has only failed on him once so far, so he is setting while his tranny is in on warranty, hope you have better luck with yours....
Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Glad you did all your research, I helped a friend setup a streetrod with one of those Bowtie transmissions, we used the tailshaft houing from the Bowtie on my empty mockup case, it had residue in it like you find in your solvent tank...it has only failed on him once so far, so he is setting while his tranny is in on warranty, hope you have better luck with yours....
Are you saying you had a removeable tail housing on a 200-4R? If so, can you post a picture of it?
Old 08-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Launching!

This was on a 700 r4, built by the same company, point is, it has to be CLEAN....
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Bowtie's stuff seems to be hit or miss. If you have any trouble, head over to turbobuick.com and read up in the transmission section, where there are numerous builders that stand behind their stuff.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Bowtie's stuff seems to be hit or miss. If you have any trouble, head over to turbobuick.com and read up in the transmission section, where there are numerous builders that stand behind their stuff.
I will do that. I have read a lot (after I bought my trans) about Jakes Performance that's a sponsor on here and a few other forums. I will probably hit him up if I have any problems after the warranty runs out.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Hmmm. Now you know 3 people with 11 second cars who run them with no problems.

Originally Posted by S10xGN
There are lots of 200R4's running mid nines in 3700# GN's, just mosey on over to turbobuick.com. I have two of these trannies in my cars (neither close to the 9's) and have never had a lick of trouble from either. With the standard crank, you will need the spacer, flat flexplate, and 6 new (longer) bolts. Also plan on wallowing out the converter bolt holes in the 'plate.
Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Bad info here. A 200-4R can be built to hold quite a bit of horse power without spending a ton of money on it. You just have to know where to spend the money that do invest into them. Mine is 6 years old and has always been abused and still works great.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 PM
TECH Junkie

I will do that. I have read a lot (after I bought my trans) about Jakes Performance that's a sponsor on here and a few other forums. I will probably hit him up if I have any problems after the warranty runs out.
Two of the best places to get a 200-4R is CK Performance or CPT Transmission. Either place can build one that will stay with you. A lot of the turbo buick guys use CK.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

My son and I actually drove up to Jake's and watched while he built the 200R4 for my Maverick. The one in my 11 second S-10 is much more stressed and much less built (it only has a Bruce Toelle 'WE4' shift kit) yet has managed to live for 10 years behind 20+ pounds of boost.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a 200-4r? Got a few questions.