Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Chevelle conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 72 Chevelle conversion

Is there an accessory drive for the front of the LSx motors that doesn't require mods (or very little) to fit in a 72 Chevelle??

Also, with all the different motor mount adapters which one will put the LS motor bellhousing mount in the same place as the stock one.

I have done some searching and there is a tendency to be some conflicting information on these things. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to keep the current transmission in its location, usually 1" set back adapters should move the engine to mate with the Transmission Bell Housing. If your old trans is a TH350/400/700r4.. you will need to make sure you have the correct Flexplate and/or Spacer. FYI,... This will move the engine very close to the Firewall on the Passenger side head.

If you want to keep the OEM AC Compressor, you would have to move the engine pretty far forward.. possibly +1" plates or more.. suggest you try the Dirty Dingo Adjustable mounts. that way you can go both ways and select the engine placement.

There are pro/cons for using almost any OEM Front Accessory Drive. I have on my 71 Chevelle, the engine set back.. I am able to use the F-Body accessories and it clear the Power Steering Pump (just clears). But had to notch the X-Member for the AC Compressor. If your not going to use the OEM AC.. then the F-body fits.

You might looking into the Kwik after market bracket. The cost is not to bad and many options.

I am sure others will ping in and get you there opinon and suggestions.

BC
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the information. That is really appreciated. I am planning on using a Vintage Air system. It looks like I will use the Kwik for the AC compressor. I even considered it for the alternator and PS pump but am not sure if it will clear?? It sounds like I will try using the 1" set back if it works for you. I wonder if they sell a new F body accessory kit??
Old 08-15-2012, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you do the 1" setback plates truck accessories will fit. Thats how my car is, its tight but I can easily get a belt on and off between the PS pulley and PS box
Old 08-15-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd try the dirty dingo, holley, or one of the many other a/c brackets before I used the kwik one, a lot of people have belt squealing issues with it (though to be fair a lot do not).
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1_chevelle
if you do the 1" setback plates truck accessories will fit. Thats how my car is, its tight but I can easily get a belt on and off between the PS pulley and PS box
I did have some truck stuff and thought I would need a different pulley but this is good news. I will probably try this method even though I am not real excited about the alternator being "front and center" in the engine compartment. Maybe if I paint it black it will be more subdue and not stand out so much. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chuckd71
I'd try the dirty dingo, holley, or one of the many other a/c brackets before I used the kwik one, a lot of people have belt squealing issues with it (though to be fair a lot do not).
Do the Kwik brackets have alignment issues??
Old 08-16-2012, 12:54 PM
On The Tree

I am using the truck acessories on my 71 chevelle and have plenty of room for the power steering pump pully. was not able to use the factory ac bracket due to interference with the cross member. I made my own adapter plates and unbolted the frame mounts and moved them to where i needed them to be to clear the oil pan/crossmember clearance.

i talked to 3 people while on the power tour this year that had the kwik ac brackets on truck engines one guy said he had no issues at all, on guy said his belt squealed but used " belt dressing" and that made it stop,and the 3rd guy said he had to put washers behind his bracket to get it to stop. hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I am guessing that you have a 1" setback to clear the PS box/pulley?? It sounds like the 1" setback offers some real advantages for clearance with any accessory combo. The truck setup is much easier to find and cheaper from what I have seen.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:36 AM
On The Tree

I'm using the LS2 Corvette accessories with the Kwik AC Compressor relocation brackets. No clearance issues anywhere. I also used the Edelbrock adapter plates

I did have some alignment issues with the Kwik brackets. But with a couple of flat washers added for shims, the belt now tracks fine.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

To be honest i cannot say what the set back is I made my mounts in a sliding configuration. then unbolted the frame mounts and moved everything to where it cleared the best and bolted all back down. I originally tried the one inch set back plates that i made from measurements posted on here but had clearance issues with the f-body pan i used.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Paul57 , check out my 72 Chevelle conversion. Maybe it would be of some help. Are you using the OEM EFI or carb intake? Let me know if I can be of any help.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post16231583
Old 08-20-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

My '69 Chevelle is running 1" setback plates and Corvette accessories with an AutoKraft oil pan. Everything fits great!

Next step is to figure out a/c compressor placement with a turbo setup
Old 08-20-2012, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

I have a 69 chevelle Im using Car Shop Inc. 1" set back plates with c5/c6 front drive. I have a f-body pan that Im gonna modify like S&P does. it's minimal on what it hits the crossmember.

Originally Posted by gnx7
My '69 Chevelle is running 1" setback plates and Corvette accessories with an AutoKraft oil pan. Everything fits great!

Next step is to figure out a/c compressor placement with a turbo setup
you from SF? ever take your car to shows like good guys or meets? I would like to check it out. What headers did you use?
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for all the help. Has anyone had any luck finding an oil pan that will clear the steering linkage?? I have a truck pan that has had a fair amount of the bottom shaved off and then welded some new on the fwd side of the sump area. I saw some pics that don't make it look too promising that it will clear the steering linkage.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the mast and holley/ retro lsx pans do.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

I found this post using Google but it is 1 1/2 years old. I was hoping there was updated info. It seems like all pans have some sort of clearance issue.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-chevelle.html
Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

With the dimensions I found on the F body pan, it is hard to believe it would not clear the tie rods...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-oil-pans.html

Last edited by Paul57; 08-21-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gnx7
Do your tie rods hit the pan??
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

The Mast pan sounds promising if it clears the tie rods??? It looks to be about even with the crossmember. I definitely don't want it lower. Some guys talk about the F body pan being a very tight fit when putting the engine in. Mine will be 1" back so hopefully that would help.

Last edited by Paul57; 08-21-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 72 Chevelle conversion