Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a mopar A-body?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 08:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 in a mopar A-body?

What do you guys think? right now i have a 73' duster with a built up 360. As is the car runs pretty damn good. It should be making a little over 300rwhp and with the light weight of the A-body and based on some similar motors/cars it should run in the low 13s/high 12s as it sits on some heavy 17" pro touring wheels, possible low 12s/high 11s if i sprang for drag wheels/tires

The only problem is, the mopar powerplant. For only 300whp, it drinks a lot of gas and kinda sucks for highway driving. As is i'm already looking into dumping the 904 for a 200r4 to get the overdrive. Which then made me wonder what i'd do if i popped this engine. In theory i'd have a GM tranny setup in the tunnel, so why not go one step further and get an engine that could make 400rwhp and get better mpg.(yes yes, mopar people would assault + kill me....but i'm big, so hopefully they'll think twice.)

Just a quick search/research suggests that my biggest headache would be the oil pan. As chevy's use a front sump or rear sump pan and the mopar needs a center sump. But then there are aftermarket suspension K-frames that get rid of the rear steer & steer box for a front steer rack and pinion. Then there's nothing to stop a rear sump pan.

Also, using the aftermarket K-member, i could have it, an engine, and mock up the mounts before its ever in the car. I'd imagine wiring would be a custom harness, but shouldnt be anything impossible.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

why wouldnt you just do a 5.7 or 6.1 hemi swap?there are companies out there that make everything you would need to bolt it right in.....personally I think all the cross breeding that takes place is asinine,especially when the manufacturer of the car makes a great late model engine of its own that could be used,obviously this is my opinion,and im sure i will get hazed for posting that but i dont care,keep it mopar!
Old 08-23-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danimal95
why wouldnt you just do a 5.7 or 6.1 hemi swap?there are companies out there that make everything you would need to bolt it right in.....personally I think all the cross breeding that takes place is asinine,especially when the manufacturer of the car makes a great late model engine of its own that could be used,obviously this is my opinion,and im sure i will get hazed for posting that but i dont care,keep it mopar!
Because the 5.7/6.1 suck. They're shitty engines. First off, they weigh a metric **** ton because they're cast iron blocks and heads. Then there is the issue of cost. Ballpark it 1500-3k for a 5.7/6.1(likely in the 3k+ range for the 6.1). Then because the pcm isnt as flexible as an LS engine, you have to spend for an aftermarket computer, and an MSD spark controller, and of course because its an A-body, i can't use the 5spd auto that comes with those engines and instead have to go back to a crappy 3spd or adapter a gm tranny. And if i want power steering i have to buy an aftermarket K-member anyways.

So say 10k+5k( for odds/ends) to have an expensive "all mopar" piece of crap that makes about as much power as my current engine and still gets 12-14mpg on the highway. Oh and also weighs more than my current engine so the car will have worse balance for handling.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mopar seems like the last holdout of LSx swaps. 10 years ago never thought I'd be on the 'when in doubt Chevy it out' bandwagon but $ for $ just can't beat it. Have your power and gas mileage too it's 1950's tech vs 2000's tech.

Hemi motor is neat at the car show with the hood up but that's about it.

I've been thinking of a 5.3 into a late 60's C-body for a daily driver.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZQ8Dude
Because the 5.7/6.1 suck. They're shitty engines. First off, they weigh a metric **** ton because they're cast iron blocks and heads. Then there is the issue of cost. Ballpark it 1500-3k for a 5.7/6.1(likely in the 3k+ range for the 6.1). Then because the pcm isnt as flexible as an LS engine, you have to spend for an aftermarket computer, and an MSD spark controller, and of course because its an A-body, i can't use the 5spd auto that comes with those engines and instead have to go back to a crappy 3spd or adapter a gm tranny. And if i want power steering i have to buy an aftermarket K-member anyways.

So say 10k+5k( for odds/ends) to have an expensive "all mopar" piece of crap that makes about as much power as my current engine and still gets 12-14mpg on the highway. Oh and also weighs more than my current engine so the car will have worse balance for handling.
i think saying "they suck" and "they are shitty engines" is rather ignorant,they make great power,they are reliable and the technology is light years ahead of the 360 that he has in the car now.For an aspirated build a stock pcm would work fine even for a mildly boosted application it would be fine,why would he need an aftermarket computer,and spark controller??I do agree they are heavier and the transmissions arent as good but once again for a aspirated build they would be more than adequate...as stated above this is my opinion and that is all take it for just that,I dont want to get into some argument about how the LS platform is the greatest thing since sliced bread....
Old 08-23-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I say go for it. I have been considering the same thing myself. I recently traded off a 74 roadrunner with a 400 and a single turbo because it weighed too much (3700+)and was tired of tuning the blow-thru. Was wanting to find a 60s dart or valiant race car roller and drop a ls1 in, this way I can still go to the local mopar event that I have been going to every year plus go to chevy events or LSX events.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
I say dont do it. I have been considering the same thing myself. I recently traded off a 74 roadrunner with a 400 and a single turbo because I was tired of of having a cool car.

cute,anyone can modify a quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

I got talked out of an LT1 swap(before LS1's were available) in my Olds cause it wasn't an Olds motor. I gave 12k worth of sea-duty pay to Mondello and allsI got was an engine that still had oil issues and couldn't rev over 5000 rpm.

There is a ton of support for LS engines(ECM-wise and other). Borrow a buddies welder and go for it.

The only people who would give you flack for this are the same people sitting on their chairs at car shows-not driving their cars. Have fun and good luck.

--Post some pics if you got em.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JetMech442
I got talked out of an LT1 swap(before LS1's were available) in my Olds cause it wasn't an Olds motor. I gave 12k worth of sea-duty pay to Mondello and allsI got was an engine that still had oil issues and couldn't rev over 5000 rpm.

There is a ton of support for LS engines(ECM-wise and other). Borrow a buddies welder and go for it.

The only people who would give you flack for this are the same people sitting on their chairs at car shows-not driving their cars. Have fun and good luck.

--Post some pics if you got em.

Im not sure you have a good argument with that one,an LT1 is just as problematic as an Old's motor
Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its your car.. do with it as you please.. don't worry about the hater's... they are everywhere anyways.

Many have stated there pro's and con's already.. so its up to you and if the Duster is nothing special or of Collector value.... I say go for it !

BC
Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by danimal95
i think saying "they suck" and "they are shitty engines" is rather ignorant,they make great power,they are reliable and the technology is light years ahead of the 360 that he has in the car now.For an aspirated build a stock pcm would work fine even for a mildly boosted application it would be fine,why would he need an aftermarket computer,and spark controller??I do agree they are heavier and the transmissions arent as good but once again for a aspirated build they would be more than adequate...as stated above this is my opinion and that is all take it for just that,I dont want to get into some argument about how the LS platform is the greatest thing since sliced bread....
Quite the contrary, its an honest and informed opinion. They are inferior in every way to the LS engine and its barely above the magnum 360 i have now. Only caveat being that the oem hemi has better efi.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quite the contrary, its an honest and informed opinion. They are inferior in every way to the LS engine and its barely above the magnum 360 i have now. Only caveat being that the oem hemi has better efi.
My wife drives a 06 charger R/T, the only thing I like about that car is the auto trans and that is a Mercedes design. The hemi seems sluggish and it burns oil like mad.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it man! Installing a LS3 in my 66 Coronet.

Check out LS1_Ace 1969 Valiant 5.3/4L60 build: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...d.php?t=202836

Motor mounts fit right in the 73-76 style spool mount K-frame
Old 08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oddly enough i saw that last night and i'm so damn in!

Though this wont be an immediate swap for me. I'm gonna start by setting my car up to go with an Alterkation front end(hopefully i can scrounge up atleast half the dough by selling some of my mopar garbage and some misc. parts(ie: A-body 833 trans/bellhousing, spare 360, etc) and then i'm gonna nitrous the hell out of that 360 for racing and wait for the inevitable.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oddly enough i saw that last night and i'm so damn in!

Though this wont be an immediate swap for me. I'm gonna start by setting my car up to go with an Alterkation front end(hopefully i can scrounge up atleast half the dough by selling some of my mopar garbage and some misc. parts(ie: A-body 833 trans/bellhousing, spare 360, etc) and then i'm gonna nitrous the hell out of that 360 for racing and wait for the inevitable.

Awesome man. Turned into a s*#t storm real quickly on that thread didn't it! HA HA!

If it were me, I would skip the AlterKtion and go with the DillingerChassis setup.

The AlterKtion really is an awesome suspension system, but it is just way too pricey at around $5190+shipping if you get the cheapest small Wilwood brakes.

The complete Dillinger setup with the chassis stiffening components is around 1/4 of the price of the complete AlterK setup. That way you can have enough money left over to pick up a nice complete LS engine/trans and get on with your project!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bowtie316
My wife drives a 06 charger R/T, the only thing I like about that car is the auto trans and that is a Mercedes design. The hemi seems sluggish and it burns oil like mad.
I felt the exact same way years ago when i was gonna trade in my DD truck(colorado) on a RCSB hemi truck w/ 3.91 gears. Obviously faster than my truck, but that tranny could sure keep you from knowing it. For 345hp, standing on it from a stop light was uninspiring to say the least.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by topbrent
Awesome man. Turned into a s*#t storm real quickly on that thread didn't it! HA HA!

If it were me, I would skip the AlterKtion and go with the DillingerChassis setup.

The AlterKtion really is an awesome suspension system, but it is just way too pricey at around $5190+shipping if you get the cheapest small Wilwood brakes.

The complete Dillinger setup with the chassis stiffening components is around 1/4 of the price of the complete AlterK setup. That way you can have enough money left over to pick up a nice complete LS engine/trans and get on with your project!

Of course it turned into a madhouse. That forum is the exact reason why i sometime hate owning a mopar. I mean i love this car, but those "mopar or no car" idiots are just the worst people.

I ran into one of those types when i had my duster out doing some test passes at the drag strip. Got a blank stare because it wasnt a 340(340 clone car), he chanted the phrase "904 is junk" in reference to my tranny choice, hyped up his fully restored 1979 cordoba(google this pile) and refused to race me because he only beats fords/chevys....this statement was followed by a high 15 second pass in a newer r/t charger. Not to mention, most of the other mopar only people that i try to talk to at the track(when i'm racing the DD truck) come off as snobby douchebags.

I don't know how i feel about that system. I mean the price is certainly right, but i just wonder how much its been tested in a pro-touring style car. I've seen similar setups used for drag cars which works, but for cars that are only going in a straight line. Plus it still puts my in the position of needing a custom oil pan for the LS, and not knowing if that suspension will handle autocross racing.

I also wonder about the compatibility to power steering. It looks like the A-body guy in that thread is going with a manual box....which i have to wonder if thats for clearance?

The Alterkation however, has been tested a lot. In fact i even found video(wish i still had the link) of a swedish road rally race where a dart sport, sporting an alterkation was racing. Even ran the poor car off the road into a ditch and the Alterkation stayed together.

5190? I came up with a difference price on the site:

Base price A-body(street/handling packing): 4090+255 for mounts= 4345.

So then what about brakes? Well yes pricey if you go willwood on their site, however, the system is setup to accept any mustang 2 kit brakes. Meaning i could run similar sized mustang 2 brakes to whats on my car(11") for about 300-350.

Putting it at 46/4700 bucks for an A-body.

Now go with me on this:
Conversion mentioned:
$810 for the kit
$300 for QA1s(ballpark for single adjustables)
$80-100 springs
$125 coilover hoops
> say 350 Manual steering box conversion
or
> small borgeson power steering unit 750/800

So roughly $1665-2135 putting it at almost half the price for a not fully tested system.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also gonna add, is he doing anything to strength the fender area where the shocks mount? I would think this is critical if overlooked. Afterall its why Joe Rogan no longer has that pro touring cuda. It had one of those crappy magnum force conversions and the coilover broke through the fender.

Site note: plz don't take my post as agressive, just some skepticism towards something i'm very unfamiliar with.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:17 AM

here are some pics of my ve valiant which is an Australian A body mopar k-frame are exactly like US moels only difference steering box is on the right hand sideLS1 in a mopar A-body?-vefblk.jpg

LS1 in a mopar A-body?-v6.jpg

LS1 in a mopar A-body?-v7.jpg

Name:  v3.bmp
Views: 11548
Size:  1.98 MB

LS1 in a mopar A-body?-v8.jpg

LS1 in a mopar A-body?-v5.jpg

LS1 in a mopar A-body?-veburnout.jpg
Old 04-22-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

I love the idea, its your car. Did you check into the dry sump set up from the Vette?

Quick Reply: LS1 in a mopar A-body?